Which DAC to buy

Hi guys

I have a marantz PM 6004 and Monitor Audit RS1 bookshelves, i generally play Flacs from my PC and sometimes some CDs from an old sony DVD player, i need a good DAC to enhance my SQ, and i have the following options:

1. Schit Bifrost

2. M1 DAC

3. rDAC

is it wise to spend an extra 10k on the M1 DAC for my setup as i will mostly use the USB input.

Will really appreciate your help

Thanks

Hi guys

I have a marantz PM 6004 and Monitor Audit RS1 bookshelves, i generally play Flacs from my PC and sometimes some CDs from an old sony DVD player, i need a good DAC to enhance my SQ, and i have the following options:

1. Schit Bifrost

2. M1 DAC

3. rDAC

is it wise to spend an extra 10k on the M1 DAC for my setup as i will mostly use the USB input.

Will really appreciate your help

Thanks

Product Lines > Parasound Z > Zdac - Digital to Analog Converter

Would this 'fit' your budget ?
It is a super DAC for the price - imho

:clapping:

Rs. 30/- K in India - I think - should be retail;

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/parasound-zdac-page-2

Inside & the pics & review [take with a pinch of salt]

Last edited:
thanks for the advice guys...but the problem here lies in auditioning these DACs, i tried the M1 DAC which is rather easy to find..but could hear it only via optical input not usb...can any one suggest any places where i can audition a few dacs in delhi/ncr...thanks :)

Mazher, have you heard the Z DAC ? Do you recommend it because of Parasound's reputation or have you heard it yourself?

My reason for asking is that I have been looking for a USB DAC myself since the past 1 year and am pretty confused myself....

I have narrowed my choices to a Schiit Gungnir, M2Tech Young, W4Sound DAC 1, Naim V1 but just cannot decide....

Bhagwan, have you heard the Z DAC ? Do you recommend it because of Parasound's reputation or have you heard it yourself?

My reason for asking is that I have been looking for a USB DAC myself since the past 1 year and am pretty confused myself....

I have narrowed my choices to a Schiit Gungnir, M2Tech Young, W4Sound DAC 1, Naim V1 but just cannot decide....

Sir,

As a policy - always remember - If I recommend a product - it is based on my listening - I will never go by hear say or a review or any such thing.

Thomas Holm is known to me.
He has designed this DAC for Parasound.
He has also designed the DAC for Jeff Rowland.
He is a very respected Digital Engineer.
His Holm Processor I have used @ my house - in my system & hold it in very high regard.
This Z Dac has been designed to a price point.
Therefore it is not an 'assault'
However, @ 500/- US$ it is a stonker product imho.
This is a DAC that can take the fight home to a 1K US $ DAC.
Gives your Balanced Analogue Out too - at this price it is not seen elsewhere.
If one is to play the computer audio game - this is a great product to mate with a Lap Top. Foobar or J River 19 & you are home - single machine I5 processor - Win 8 + 8GB Ram & shut down most non essential windows functions & you are 75 % way home - that too in a good [reasonable] budget.
I recommend this DAC - difficult to beat @ Rs. 30/- K
Go for it !
:p

Disclaimer :-
This is my suggestion - based on my listening & preferences.
Others may or may not like this sound - please do audition before purchase.

This is a DAC I HAVE NOT Heard;
However, it has been doing the rounds on a +ve note..
http://schiit.com/products/gungnir
Do consider it too.
However, it is 850/- US $'s abroad - Landed will be 1000/- ++ I assume.
While the Z is delivered in India @ 30/- K [I think] & carries Dealer Support etc. too.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton Mazher.... I too had read about the Z DAC but unable to hear it.... If you say it is good, then I will take your word for it as you have tons of experience with computer audio....For $500, if you like it, then it is good enough for me too as i plan to use it exactly like you have mentioned above:
Lap Top - Foobar - DAC - AMP

i have a friend going to the US next month which DAC should i ask him to get for me the problem is i cant audition any DACs here and would it be wise to buy one based on just reviews.

Called AudioExcellence twice over the last 2 days but no response from them as the person responsible for parasound was out.....had sent an email as well but no one seems to be bothered and the they say that we buy from abroad....

You will not go wrong with either of them.. ZDAC or Shiit Bifrost. You may also consider Rega DAC in this price range. Even Beresford Bushmaster can be considered, cheaper than all of the above but quite a performing DAC (no USB though).

usb is a must..as i generally play FLACs from my PC...im very confused as to which dac to buy..would it be worth shelling out the extra 10k for the M1 DAC..i could rather save money for a Turntable.

its available on amazon @475 $ worth getting it from there? dont have much idea about customs for electronics.. also Schiit is available for 449 $ if customs are no spoil sports then i think i will go for a blind date with any one of them.

Do consider the odac. I know folks who have replaced their m1 dac with odac :)

See if anyone has one in your place for audition.

sachin dear, keeping aside the fact that your are an ODAC owner (and so am I), do you really think M1 is comparable to ODAC and is this based on your audition? I have not heard M1 but had the impression that it is an upgrade from ODAC at least from price point and reviews

Called AudioExcellence again today only to be told that the Z DAC is not in stock and can be ordered in the next consignment..the price for the Z DAC was given as Rs. 40,000 and for discount if any, I have to call them againi on 4th Oct as the person responsible is away....
The Singapore dealer is giving the same for 600 SGD with free USB cable and a mini USB cable...the US retail price is $450....

Also called Meridian-Sound of Music in Delhi for the Meridian Director and the same answer....not in stock ...the next consignment will come in sometime and the actual price is Rs. 60,000...Again the US retail is $699, UK retail is 449 GBP and the Singapore price is SGD 950...all the countries have same pricing but our dealer wants almost 40% more with no demos..

And then the audio retailors fret about us buying from abroad....

Called AudioExcellence again today only to be told that the Z DAC is not in stock and can be ordered in the next consignment..the price for the Z DAC was given as Rs. 40,000 and for discount if any, I have to call them againi on 4th Oct as the person responsible is away....
The Singapore dealer is giving the same for 600 SGD with free USB cable and a mini USB cable...the US retail price is $450....

Also called Meridian-Sound of Music in Delhi for the Meridian Director and the same answer....not in stock ...the next consignment will come in sometime and the actual price is Rs. 60,000...Again the US retail is $699, UK retail is 449 GBP and the Singapore price is SGD 950...all the countries have same pricing but our dealer wants almost 40% more with no demos..

And then the audio retailors fret about us buying from abroad....

Did you audition it somewhere else? And what digital source are you using?

panditji : had a same scenario with indian dealer while purchasing my speakers. compared to US the price i paid was 55k more and which also includes stands where as what i paid was only for speakers. mentioning mear the fact that it might be beneficial to buy abroad was more than enough to make dealer go bonkors. Expression changed and so was the tone.

i frankly started to give a damm to whatever their situation is and order whereever its cost effective.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back