Which entry level DSLR to buy?

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

I am planning to buy an entry level DSLR. Budget is around Rs 30,000.

I would either purchase it today or it would be delayed indefinitely.

I have done very less research so I would appreciate your views.

I guess the models in this range are Nikon d5100, Canon eos600D, Nikon D3200.

Till now I have shortlisted D5100. But I can change the opinion.

So please share your views.

Regards

I second it, D5100 is the best you can get in the price range. I got mine from flipcart. Check local stores have some offer else go with Flipcart zero percent EMI. Why should spend whole amount once when you can pay in EMI without interest & without paper work.

Last edited:
How do they fair in terms of future upgrades, lenses, ease of use etc.

Someone told that canon is complicated to use as compared to Nikon!

The lowest quote I have got in market is Rs 29,000. The price might be reduced even further but not much when I go to buy the product.

I am most probably going to Rajasthan tomorrow so I may buy the camera today. So if it is Rs 500 more in market then I would probably buy from the market only.

The lowest price on Ebay is Rs 29,559. I got a 7.5% coupon in mail today at 3:15 P.M. At 4:30 P.M. the coupon had already reached its maximum eligible redemptions!

Other coupons have max discount of Rs 500.

If price is an issue, then you may also check the Canon 1100 - which will work out the cheapest of the lot (should be close to 25K or even lesser) - and doesn't offer anything less.

Quite frankly in that price range, you should be spending the least on the camera body, and try to get a better quality and faster (brighter) lens.
Usually prime lens are the ones that come to the mind.

If you have NO plans to buy further lenses, please do not buy a DSLR. It won't offer you much advantage.

A DSLR sensor offers about 2-3 stops of image quality improvement over a high-end compact due to the large sensor size.
However, the kit lens that you get with a DSLR offers about 2 stop LESS performance over the far brighter and better quality lens of a high-end compact camera.
So whatever you gain because of larger sensor, you lose because of poor lens.

If you have some time: I have compiled a list of cameras, each one with the noise free ISO, lens wide angle f-stop (at 28 mm equivalent), and lens medium tele f-stop (at 85 mm equivalent). PDF attached. The net effect of everything (ISO + lens f-stop) is calculated at the last two columns.

What this shows is that high-end compact are as good, and some even beat the DSLRs if you use the stock lens of a DSLR.

Among the high end compact my pick would be:
Sony RX100 - about 35K
Canon G15 - about 34K
Nikon P7700 - about 24K
Olympus XZ1 - about 21K

Of course if you want only DSLR, please go ahead with it.

Attachments

• Copy of Book1.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I second what Alpha1 suggested. Get the cheapest Nikon/Canon dslr and invest in a good lens, preferably a prime lens. You might even want to check with your friends and see which they have, nikon or canon. That way you can even use their lens at times.

I would never go with a compact of 30K range or higher only for features. DSLR, even entry level is much more flexible, superior sensor, superior low light performance(acceptable noise level even at 3200 ISO), low shutter option(even bulb) and what not!
A SLR is a SLR, no comparison with any compact camera.

If you like to buy compact stick to 20K max. Anything higher go for (D)SLR.

Among the high end compact my pick would be:
Sony RX100 - about 35K
Canon G15 - about 34K
Nikon P7700 - about 24K
Olympus XZ1 - about 21K

Excellent comparison. I read that Nikon P7700 is almost as good as canon G15 at a much much lesser price bracket.

Why no mention about Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 at about 34K?

See, According to me order The EOS-1100D from Flipkart(Rs. 23,000 Only) and get a good 55-300 lens kit, to serve your needs, the lens is more important than the body for your first purchase.

Also, I believe the Nikon's do not have an auto-focus motor in the Camera Body so the lens from Nikon are relatively pricey.
Also, P&S in no ways can compete with the DSLR's, the DSLR's open your avenues to photography, where as Point and Shoots restrict all your ideas, even the high end ones, it depends more on the Person and Not the Camera Itself.

Let me add my two paise here. I have owned over two dozen cameras. Currently I own two Canon, two Nikon, two Panasonic and one Ricoh cameras. Apart from these current ones, I have owned everything from Hotshot to Nikon D3, film to digital, 1/2.7 to APS-C to large format. With that background, here goes my two cents.

High end compacts come with a very short term feel-good factor. I had Panasonic LX3 and LX5, both acclaimed enthusiast cameras. I have to say, I would have been very happy with them had I not used DSLR before. But since I bought those as "always carry" camera side-by-side my main cameras (DSLRs), I was disappointed. They leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the "entire photography experience". If all you ever need is a "good camera" for family photos (either for sharing online or printing up to 6x8 / 8x10), you would be very happy with compacts.

A DSLR camera on the other hand, comes with a photography experience which is incomparable even to the best of compacts. It's a very potent tool, which sets only sky as the limit. But....

But DSLRs are not for everyone. It is easy to buy an expensive camera and still take a lot of bad photos. Just because the user can't utilize the qualities of camera. I feel more comfortable with my D90 than with my D3. Why? Because I have owned D90 for much longer. It's lighter, more manageable. I am used to the controls and can set it up for a shot literally blind folded. Working with D90, my hands will reach the right controls even in dark. D3 on the other hand is a very elaborate camera and much more complicated machine. It also happens to be the more expensive and more capable of the two. But if I am in a hurry to take a shot, I pick the D90, because of the aforementioned reasons. With the D90, I am more likely to get a better shot quickly than D3.

The same can happen to a first time DSLR user. By the time he will set up his DSLR, he could have missed that shot which wasn't meant to last till he set up his camera. In such a case, a compact which powers on in a fraction of a second, focuses fast and gets you the shot is the camera to own. Many people (most people in fact) buy a DSLR and use it as a point-n-shoot. Why? Because, they either don't have the necessary skills, or the time, or both, to deal with the complexity of a DSLR.

So, what should you buy? A compact or a DSLR? Keep in mind, advanced compacts these days come with DSLR like flexibility and entry level DSLRs come with point-n-shoot like ease. So whichever way you go, you can get the sophistication you want, the ease you want. Only, the extent will differ.

To sum up, a DSLR will give you (1) ultimate in control (2) satisfaction of photography (3) space to hone your photography skills and rediscover things based on your personal philosophies. Be warned, however, that a DSLR will also bring you unwanted attention. Many people will suspect your motive and you will sense people around you becoming conscious about your presence (your DSLR rather). Warning #2, a DSLR may also open up a new avenue of expenses. Once you get into it, it's a lot of expenses. Lenses, filters, bags, lights, stands. Warning #3, be ready to get in shape. A good DSLR with a good lens might weigh around 1.5 Kg and will test the strength of your arms in anything but a short casual session.

A compact will allow you to remain more mortal among your family and friends. Will give you decent enough picture quality for general use. In fact, once you learn to utilize your compact well, you can even produce stunning photos with them.

In case you choose to go with a DSLR; buy one that fits well in your hands, feels good to you and comes in your price bracket. Among DSLRs, my top choice is Nikon. Biggest advantage with Nikon is that Nikon kit lenses are freaking good. You don't "need" to upgrade from Nikon kit lenses, until you decide to spend significantly more.

In case you choose to go with a compact, choose one with a fast start up and fast focusing. If the two criteria are not met, the whole point of a compact camera is lost. Among compacts, my top choice is Sony Nex.

Also, I believe the Nikon's do not have an auto-focus motor in the Camera Body so the lens from Nikon are relatively pricey.

That's not correct.

All Nikons except the entry level have focus motor in the body. But in case of Canon, only the high end bodies have motor. Rest of their lineup doesn't have focus motor.

Nikon and Canon lens prices are within 10% of each other and it swings both ways. There are cheaper Canon lenses in some categories whereas there are cheaper Nikon lenses in other categories.

That's not correct.

All Nikons except the entry level have focus motor in the body. But in case of Canon, only the high end bodies have motor. Rest of their lineup doesn't have focus motor.

Nikon and Canon lens prices are within 10% of each other and it swings both ways. There are cheaper Canon lenses in some categories whereas there are cheaper Nikon lenses in other categories.

none of the canon Dslr have focus motor . Canon has motor in the lens .

If you are serious about photography you will have a tendency to upgrade the above mentioned bodies (d5100,600d etc)within six months . if you are not serious you will find your dslr resting happily in its bag.
so get the cheapest dslr body either Nikon or canon you can find canon 1100d and nikon 3100 are good choice .

hi, go for nikon or canon so that you can have flexibility to interchange plenty of lenses,where as sony i was in doubt.
i purchase nikon D40 body along with Sigma 18-250is lens,thats all.
very enjoying the thing.purchase proper lans(18-135like) along with cam purchase.

I have been a professional photographer for years now. For newbies, I would suggest to goto the store, try the entry level slrs and see which fits well in your hands and which is more user friendly for you.

I would suggest getting a Canon 1100D or 600D

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back