Which Fixed-frame projector screen to go for?

bikram_singh

Hi,

After many reading many threads and some engaging discussion I've bought the following items for my dedicated home-theater. Now I want to decide on which projector screen should I go for. I want a Fixed-screen one, alternatively I can also go for DIY option, but I am not sure if I should go with Blackout-cloth or PVC or what? Please suggest what options do I have.

Speakers
Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker
Polk Audio DSW PRO550 Wi 10-Inch High Performance Subwoofer
Polk Audio TSX 250C Centre Channel Speaker
Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker

AVR
Denon AVR-X2000 Integrated Network AV Receiver

Projector: EPSON EH-TW6100

What is your room size- Length, Width and Height?

How much room do you have available on the screen wall?

Depending upon these - I would go with a fixed screen from Liberty or Grandview

Room size will be 25ft (length) X 15ft (width) X 9.6 (ceiling). And as I am getting it constructed, I can have as much space (within the defined limit) as required.

And how much do you think I should have budget for a fixed-screen? and will DIY versio be bad?

You can easily fit a 133 inch 16:9 screen on the screen wall

DIY blackout material comes in 54 inch height - so you are looking at 110 inch 16:9 screen- see attached picture

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 219
You can easily fit a 133 inch 16:9 screen on the screen wall

DIY blackout material comes in 54 inch height - so you are looking at 110 inch 16:9 screen- see attached picture

you mean to say 133" is the maximum I should go with, or can I try 150" as well? And have you heard of Winger screen, is it any good?

You said your room width is 15 feet
Assume you leave 2.5 feet on either side of the screen for the speakers- that leaves you with 10 feet for the screen width
133 inch screen has a viewing width of 116 inches plus 2 inch border- gets you to 120 inches or 10 feet wide
150 inch screen has a viewing width of 131 inches plus 3 inch border- gets you to 137 inches or 11 feet 5 inches- which leaves you with 21.5 inches on either side for speakers

For your projector take a look at- throw distance (how far back it has to be) -- in order to produce a 150 inch image

You said your room width is 15 feet
Assume you leave 2.5 feet on either side of the screen for the speakers- that leaves you with 10 feet for the screen width
133 inch screen has a viewing width of 116 inches plus 2 inch border- gets you to 120 inches or 10 feet wide
150 inch screen has a viewing width of 131 inches plus 3 inch border- gets you to 137 inches or 11 feet 5 inches- which leaves you with 21.5 inches on either side for speakers

For your projector take a look at- throw distance (how far back it has to be) -- in order to produce a 150 inch image

Thanks for your reply. I think 133 inch screen should do. I wanted to know why I need to leave 2.5 feet on either side for speakers? I think polk floor standing is not wider than 8-9 inches. Please explain!

And I'd like to add that I've bought EPSON EH-TW6100 projector, so from a distance of around 12-15 feet it should create around 150"

hi ...i am also looking for epson 6100....can you share price and dealer info with me..i would like to take it from delhi......it will help me a lot....i am looking for optoma hd 25lv or epson 6100....looking forward for your suggestion...

hi ...i am also looking for epson 6100....can you share price and dealer info with me..i would like to take it from delhi......it will help me a lot....i am looking for optoma hd 25lv or epson 6100....looking forward for your suggestion...

I got this from Nehru Place. There is a guy from whom I buy all my computer stuff since 2003. I called him and transferred him 1lakh. He said price will be around 1.8L to 1.10L. If you want I can give you his details and you can order from him, but projector may not be readily available with him. He will order then get stuff in a day or two.

@bikram_singh, i have pull down screen and feel a fixed screen would have been better looking. But there is nothing lacking in terms of movie watching experience. Do go for a fixed screen but in the event of going for a pull down screen, i suggest you go with "Liberty Grandview" (not plain Liberty) - it is a top class screen and has great quality. Absolutely no sag, wrinkles, nothing. See my thread here
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html

@bikram_singh, i have pull down screen and feel a fixed screen would have been better looking. But there is nothing lacking in terms of movie watching experience. Do go for a fixed screen but in the event of going for a pull down screen, i suggest you go with "Liberty Grandview" (not plain Liberty) - it is a top class screen and has great quality. Absolutely no sag, wrinkles, nothing. See my thread here
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html

Thanks for your suggestion. I think fixed-frame is the one I'd like to install, as my HT room will be used exclusively for that purpose. Any suggestion on that?

The reason for having space on either side of the screen is for the speakers- Speakers in general sound better if they are placed about a foot away from the walls- In the case of the
Left front speaker- 1 feet away from the Left wall and 1 feet away from the back wall
Right front speaker- 1 feet away from the Right wall and 1 feet away from the back wall

Try a simple experiment- place the speakers in the corners of a room and see how they sound- Listen to music that you know two or 3 times

Repeat the same experiment- now place the speakers about a foot away from the side walls and back wall and listen to the music-- It should sound better- larger stage

If you cant tell the difference- you can always place the speakers in the corners- but in general speakers sound better when they are given space on either side and back

The reason for having space on either side of the screen is for the speakers- Speakers in general sound better if they are placed about a foot away from the walls- In the case of the
Left front speaker- 1 feet away from the Left wall and 1 feet away from the back wall
Right front speaker- 1 feet away from the Right wall and 1 feet away from the back wall

Try a simple experiment- place the speakers in the corners of a room and see how they sound- Listen to music that you know two or 3 times

Repeat the same experiment- now place the speakers about a foot away from the side walls and back wall and listen to the music-- It should sound better- larger stage

If you cant tell the difference- you can always place the speakers in the corners- but in general speakers sound better when they are given space on either side and back

Thanks for the suggestion. Will certainly try it.

My friend carried it for me from US. So no import duty needed or shipping needed. I have yet to install the screen as my room is getting ready.

How much did it cost and was there any import duty and tax? And how many days did you have to wait? And Can you share a pic of your screen?

@Bikram, not to hijack your thread, but i did notice you were thinking about the 8200 epson pj, what helped you decide with the 6100?

@Bikram, not to hijack your thread, but i did notice you were thinking about the 8200 epson pj, what helped you decide with the 6100?

I went for 6100 instead of 8200 because price was one consideration, and to my completely light-controlled HT I thought 6100 was good enough, and I am only looking forward to a screen of 120-135".

hi,
would you help me choosing a screen size that goes well for my HT,

room size is w11.4 x h 9.9 x L 22.3 (in feet).

available screen wall size W 11.4 X H 9.9,

my front towers dimensions.

W 14 X H 48 X D 10.5 (inches)

i am using wall as my screen at present,enclosing picture of my front wall

Last edited:
hi,
would you help me choosing a screen size that goes well for my HT,

room size is w11.4 x h 9.9 x L 22.3 (in feet).

available screen wall size W 11.4 X H 9.9,

my front towers dimensions.

W 14 X H 48 X D 10.5 (inches)

i am using wall as my screen at present,enclosing picture of my front wall

You can look at Elite Sable Frame series (60k+) or Galalite Prism 3d screen (close to 55k) or Zoher screens from Bombay (10x6 costs 33k including installation)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back