Which Home Theater to listen music mainly

hi2aravind

I like listening to music. I used to have Sony music system 10 years back and used to play with Audio CDs. Later I bought basic Philips home theater in US and used it mainly for music listening mainly with downloaded mp3. I somehow liked to listen through that home theater than the previous sony music system.

Now I am back to India again and looking for a home theater (in a box) solution to listen music and occasional movie playing.

I might be wrong to ask for a home theater for music listening. Could anyone please suggest me to right directions? I am not looking for expensive stuff but my budget can be stretched max 25k.

Please suggest me another thread if any such things are already discussed. Most music played shall be south indian film songs or carnatic music.

Last edited:
For your budget, get an entry level pair of bookshelves and a stereo amp. If you scour the speaker thread you'll find one which discusses speakers less than 20K. You'll find good options in there. Search the amplifier section for good budget amps.

If you end up liking some bookshelves which are a bit costlier thus reducing the budget of your amp, save some money and opt for something like a TP20 as a stop gap arrangement before you get your stereo receiver.

I increased the Budget to 40 k now. I auditioned pioneer AV receiver with Dali speakers. I liked it and it comes within the budget. My friend is suggesting bose bookshelves. Should i wait for bose audition? I will primarily use for indian music...

you did a good thing by increasing your budget...the one that you auditioned, are they dali 5.1 within the budget?

on the contrary you can go for e.g. HTP-RS33 or HTP 823 MKII

should give you good package and good music too

Home Theater Bundles |

Sorry, I did not post in detail as I was using my mobile. It was Dali bookshelf speakers (pair) and not 5.1. I dont need surround sound anyway as I rarely watch movies and hate too much of surround sound that impacts dialogs. I will be mostly using this for listening to Indian music. Sometimes I might take TV sound input to watch musical programmes.

Is it a good price for Pioneer receiver and Dali bookshelves?

I just saw the deal in hifivision for Marantz amp + BA 2.1 for 25k which seems to be cheaper.

How do you compare these 2 options? Pioneer AV + Dali Bookshelves AND Marantz Amp + BA 2.1.

Please share your thoughts.

And I auditioned Pioneer home theaters in Reliance Digital and i did not like it. Not sure whether it was source issue or setup issue.

In the same store I did not like Denon + Polk floor standing speakers as well.

maybe try a yamaha yht 299 later you can replace the fronts with bookshelf or floor standers.

they say good music is hard to achieve from HTIBs

i guess the problem is the htib receivers are only so powerful to drive good speakers at ease

if you strictly are looking for music then try demo stereo receivers with speaker brands like mordaunt short, dali, tannoy mercury etc

If your primary use is listening to music, what you need to get is a pair of speakers and a 2 channel amp. In your budget, you should not get a multi channel home theater, or multiple speakers and an AV Receiver: This would not serve your primary requirement well.

40k is a very decent budget. In this budget, look for a pair of active speakers, or a pair of standmount (aka bookshelf) speakers and a matching 2 channel amp. www.hifimart.com is a nice place to start looking.

As a lot of FM (forum members) have mentioned, if you dont want surround sound, a stereo amplifier is the way to go
You can choose from either the Marantz PM5004, The Cambridge Audio 351A or the NAD 326BEE - all acclaimed entry level stereo amplifiers and should be in the 25k range.

* There is a 4th option. The Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 is about 23k on hifimart, it has a higher power rating of 85W per channel and it has a sub preout - which the above 3 dont. Higher power means if 2-3 years later you upgrade to bigger floorstanders, it will still work good. And sub preout means you can add a subwoofer later for more oomph while watching movies.
But I cant find too many reviews of it. But Cambridge Audio has a good name for musicality ...

For speakers you can definitely keep the Dali Zensor 1s in contention
There is also Tannoy Mercury V1 which is around 20k
There is also Q Acoustics 2020, which should be around 20k
Boston Acoustics A25 are somewhat lesser priced at around 16k on hifimart

try taking demos of marantz dali wharf bs etc
marantz for music but expensive
yamaha stereo is decent and cheaper

try to buy floor standers for music

Dali Zensor 3 and Marantz PM6005 should be a good option.

Also there is an amp manufactured by an Indian company called "Norge Audio", you can try. One of the fm is using it and it seems that he is quite happy with it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back