Which is better? ADD 1 ACTIVE SUB or...a New 5.0 SPEAKER SET to my YHT196?

Naveenbnc

Hi Guys,

Which is a better option?
1. Add an active subwoofer (price around20k) to my existing YHT196
or
2. Replace all the speakers in YHT196 with something like TagaHarmony 5.0-CH Home Cinema Speaker Set.

The reason I am asking is .... I am able to get an active sub, or TagaHarmony 5.0 speaker set for around 20-25k. (I have to check if my YHT196 AVR is powerful enough to drive TagaHarmony 5.0 speaker set)

Which option will enhance the overall home theater effect? Looking eagerly for advise from music lovers.

Thank you all..
Naveen

Last edited:
Add an active sub. You can use it along with the passive sub that comes with the 196 HTIB.
No idea about the quality of Taga speakers. But if you do upgrade your speakers, look for something which will be a reasonable upgrade.

Hi Guys,

Which is a better option?
1. Add an active subwoofer (price around20k) to my existing YHT196
or
2. Replace all the speakers in YHT196 with something like TagaHarmony 5.0-CH Home Cinema Speaker Set.

The reason I am asking is .... I am able to get an active sub, or TagaHarmony 5.0 speaker set for around 20-25k. (I have to check if my YHT196 AVR is powerful enough to drive TagaHarmony 5.0 speaker set)

Which option will enhance the overall home theater effect? Looking eagerly for advise from music lovers.

Thank you all..
Naveen

An active sub would be a better upgrade first.. Yamaha satellites can still do the duty, upgrade them when your budget allows..

Thankyou AudioHDR,

Floor standing speakers+Center+Surrounds in Taga costs only around 25k (very low budget).
Which "probably" means they might not be of good quality.
Just asked this question to know what experienced people like you may say. Thanks for the response !!

Thankyou AudioHDR,

Floor standing speakers+Center+Surrounds in Taga costs only around 25k (very low budget).
Which "probably" means they might not be of good quality.

Actually a wrong perception..Taga products are very well priced in India..I have visited a FM place who had Taga 506 FS 5.0 with Pioneer VSX 1131, they are very good..

We have been used to overpriced products for so long, that something affordable raises questions abt quality..

5.0 FS speaker set for 22K in India is a blessing in midst of the all the overpriced hi-fi products :eek:hyeah:

elangoas,

I think you are right. My perception might be wrong.
Thank you very much for explaining...!!!

Active sub woofer you can think of Yamaha SW 050 or SW-100, it's excellent sync with 196.

Speakers - while selecting speakers check impedance, it's matter to drive.

ItsMe,

Thank you for the suggestion.... its bothering in my mind to go with 2 good tower only. In such case again a dilemma triggers to choose between Towers Vs Bookshelf !!

But I just got tempted with "taga harmony tav-506" due to its very very affordable price for such setup. Individual Specs are impressive for that price, but I don't have a clue how it actually sounds.

Please suggest a set of 2 towers within 30k. It is surely a good start for a long term build plan !!

Thanks again !!

Change your front speakers first, throw all of your money at that, the world will change.
A much more worthwhile upgrade than adding a sub, later change the center, move the present fronts to the rear. This will be a many folds upgrade on the current sound.

Adding a sub at the moment will add some oomph for sure but that is about all it will do. Step by step upgrade guarantees a quality setup eventually, changing the fronts will reveal a lot in your music and movies which you are not aware you are missing at the moment.

Please suggest a set of 2 towers within 30k. It is surely a good start for a long term build plan !!

You will get towers for 30k, but good ones like Wharfedale Diamond 230 will cost you 40k+

Polk Tsx towers are also good, but I am not sure of the price. You will have to be in the market to explore

If you are still interested in HT speaker packages, try Pioneer Andrew Johns series, which has good reviews and feedbacks. A set of two towers, one center, two satellites and a sub will cost you 60k+ but its worth the hassle. AJ has termed his contract with Pioneer an year back (or more?) , so there will be very limited stocks of AJ series. Please explore

The common issue with any HT purchase is that, the moment you get the component of your choice, you will start questioning your decision assuming there would have been a better choice. Audition to the core before you take the final call

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back