Which Naim Amp for DynAudio Special 40

jigarpatel

Background: Have heard DynAudio Special 40 + Naim SuperNait 2, I really liked it.

For now I just want to upgrade my Amplifier, which will be paired with Whardefale Diamond 225, later will purchase DynAudio Speaker.

Query: Since now Naim has new models, Naim Nait XS3 and SuperNait 3, please suggest
Option 1: Naim Nait XS3 + FlatCap
Option 2: Naim SuperNait 3
Option 3: Naim Pre + Power combination in similar price point if any please suggest.

I am also leaning towards Naim Nait XS3.

Since my primary listing will be old bollywood songs of lata, rd burman, mukesh, kishor, mostly this songs easy to find on mp3 then flac.

I do not want system to be too much depth insight in music, which shows flows in source, which I think will be case with "Option 2" and "Option 3".
Also don't want to introduce many boxes.

Just additional insight of current setup.
Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 225 - I liked their warm sound, easy to listen.
Amp: Marantz PM7005 - I find treble is elevated, hence need to control volume. Does not allow me play song volume at 10 o'clock position.
Amp: Naim Nait 5si - Found very musical, foot tapping and puts smile on face. Temporary used it for 3 weeks ( hence my inclination towards Naim ).
Source: Intel NUC -> USB connection to Amp Marantz PM7005.

I am using Naim xs2 with special 40s. Haven't.had a chance to try the SN2 or SN3. Between option 1 and ootimn 2, I would simply go with the SN3 rather the XS3 as it's hopefully more than a XS3+upgraded psu. Other than Naim, I have read that Octave audio amps have also been used at shows with special 40s - perhaps ou could look at those amps too.

I am using Naim xs2 with special 40s. Haven't.had a chance to try the SN2 or SN3. Between option 1 and ootimn 2, I would simply go with the SN3 rather the XS3 as it's hopefully more than a XS3+upgraded psu. Other than Naim, I have read that Octave audio amps have also been used at shows with special 40s - perhaps ou could look at those amps too.

Thanks, Following are my priority to build up system from Left to Right
Naim XS3 > Speakers > DAC > Source > Interconnect > PSU Upgrade (only if required).

I am thinking price difference between SN3 and XS3, I can buy DAC.
Plus I think SN3 + Speakers will overshoot my budget (Yet to get price).

How about buying the speakers first and trying out various amps later? One point about the Special 40s. They need some distance between the wall and to itself if you running without bungs - Minimum recommended is 0.5m .

How about buying the speakers first and trying out various amps later? One point about the Special 40s. They need some distance between the wall and to itself if you running without bungs - Minimum recommended is 0.5m .

Why not buy speaker first, my reason ?
  • Currently speakers are in Living room, so speaker placement is kind of compromise.
  • Already planned for dedicated listing room. ( Yet to be allocated, will be creating separate thread for it. )
  • Don't want to place Special 40 in non treated room and non ideal room (Current "L" shape)
  • Will require more time ( in Years ( i.e. 2 to 3 ) to complete system and specially room.
  • Current Amp "Marantz PM7005" may not be up-to the mark to drive Special 40.
  • Current Amp is my problem area ( Treble is boosted ). Not Speaker.
  • By upgrading Amp, I will enjoy music (I think, this what I am after ).

Since I have already decided on Speaker + Amp combo, I think it does not matter which one I upgrade first.
Since I like Naim Sound, may be I look for matching speaker later (I know it's not advisable).

Regarding distance from front wall and speaker. My current speakers are at around 1.6 feet ( closed to 0.5 m ).
Just wanted to clarify, I understand that when we talk about distance, it's from Speaker front to the wall.

Back