Which ONKYO receiver is the way to go?

ilak2k

I am trying to get a powerful nice AVR with nice sounding Floor Standers. I like the Diamond 10.7 and ELAC FS 187. I'm just confused with what avr to go.

I thought of Onkyo 608 at first.

Then i decided on the 708 which is a little more on power with network features, usb support and Phono Input.

Then, I thought the 808 is more bang for the buck and gives some huge increase in the power department but still THX Select 2 Plus with Faroudja Video Processor.

3008 and 5008 are way too expensive.

The 876 is not just HDMI 1.4a, but everything else is there including THX Ultra 2 Plus, HQV Reon VX Processor, Parallel Push Pull Amplification,...

But ONKYO India says 876 production is no more. I'm still trying for it.

My budget for the receiver is max 1 Lakh. What are my options here?

I am trying to get a powerful nice AVR with nice sounding Floor Standers. I like the Diamond 10.7 and ELAC FS 187. I'm just confused with what avr to go.

I thought of Onkyo 608 at first.

Then i decided on the 708 which is a little more on power with network features, usb support and Phono Input.

Then, I thought the 808 is more bang for the buck and gives some huge increase in the power department but still THX Select 2 Plus with Faroudja Video Processor.

3008 and 5008 are way too expensive.

The 876 is not just HDMI 1.4a, but everything else is there including THX Ultra 2 Plus, HQV Reon VX Processor, Parallel Push Pull Amplification,...

But ONKYO India says 876 production is no more. I'm still trying for it.

My budget for the receiver is max 1 Lakh. What are my options here?

BTW what is your room dimensions where u will be using this ?

If you have a 1 lakh budget why dont you look at Emotiva UMC1 with power amp?

Emotiva UMC1 with what amp? I believe its audiophile quality stuff. I was not suggested by anyone about this before. Can you feed me more on this?

what are the prices currently

Denon AVR 2311 - Rs.69,990/-
Denon AVR 3311 + Denon Bluray Player 2010 - Rs.89,990/-

Onkyo TX-NR5007 - 1,55,000/-
Onkyo TX-NR3008 - Rs.1,60,000/-
Onkyo TX-NR1008 - Rs.1,15,000/-
Onkyo TX-NR808 - Rs.78,000/-
Onkyo TX-NR708 - Rs.65,000/-

These prices are without discounts. We can get a nice 10-15% discount on all of these ONKYO products. I am not sure about denon, we may get a 5% discount

If you have a 1 lakh budget why dont you look at Emotiva UMC1 with power amp?

Even though i plan to get an AVR around 1 lakh, I am planning only for a Stereo Setup Right now. I am considering getting center, surround and sub later.

So getting an AVR like Onkyo TX-NR808, 876 or 5007 and setting the Speaker Config to Stereo Mode 2.0 and using Pure Direct Audio mode will i get a decent quality for music with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7's?

I also have some 40 Bluray's and a lot of DVD's to watch. Can someone suggest me on this?

So getting an AVR like Onkyo TX-NR808, 876 or 5007 and setting the Speaker Config to Stereo Mode 2.0 and using Pure Direct Audio mode will i get a decent quality for music with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7's?

Yes, you will. A lot of things are important - interconnects, speaker cables, most important - the source player. Use a good player, preferably a CD player for listening to music.

Cheers

Yes, you will. A lot of things are important - interconnects, speaker cables, most important - the source player. Use a good player, preferably a CD player for listening to music.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply venkatcr. I will get some good interconnects and speaker cables. The source player for me right now is only my PS3 80GB Fat one. I am planning to use the Optical Out from PS3. I will definitely get a CD Player and a Stereo Amplifier sometime later.

Is there a specific reason why you prefer Onkyo over Denon? Also, do you plan to set up a stereo system or a multi-channel one? Is video performance important to you?

As for network capabilities, it may be a better idea to go for something like the WD TV Live Plus, which has far greater format support at a much lower price.

Hi,

I have similar plans - I own an Onkyo TX-SR608 and plan to use it only in Stereo mode for the time being.

Even though I would have been better of buying a decent stereo Amp, that would seriously restrict my options to use a Sub, surrounds and a center, whenever I feel like doing so in the near future.

At the same time, video processing capabilities of an AVR can pretty much be made use of without opting for surrounds (upscaling, upconversion, audio return, DAC ...)

For varied reasons, not everyone would want to invest separately in an AVR and an Amp, and hence, IMHO, it makes sense to buy a balanced, sufficiently future-proof AVR - provided you have the budget for it - knowing fully well that its a jack of many trades.

Just my thoughts.

Pannags

Hi,

For varied reasons, not everyone would want to invest separately in an AVR and an Amp, and hence, IMHO, it makes sense to buy a balanced, sufficiently future-proof AVR - provided you have the budget for it - knowing fully well that its a jack of many trades.

I share your views.

In addition to the above, I would also make sure my AVR has pre-outs.
This gives additional upgrade path and one can add a power block and
output should be equivalent to that of stereo amp (never heard the
combination but planning to go for such a setup soon).

You never know when the audiophile trait in you would want an upgrade
so just suggesting that any future proof AVR should also have pre-outs.

Just came to know today that Denons have pre-outs only in their higher
ends and they dont have in 1311, 1611 or 1911. Not sure about 2311.
The more I read and come to know, Onkyo seems to be VFM. That said
I read that Onkyo has its own set of problems though.

hey why dont you try Denon 3311 with Blue ray free.the mrp 89900/= .try at vipul Audio Tech,kilpauk with 10 % discount.

Is there a specific reason why you prefer Onkyo over Denon? Also, do you plan to set up a stereo system or a multi-channel one? Is video performance important to you?

As for network capabilities, it may be a better idea to go for something like the WD TV Live Plus, which has far greater format support at a much lower price.

hey sohels, I prefer Onkyo, its just better audio for the money we spend. Denon and Onkyo performs nicely at lower volumes. When you turn up the knob and your speakers are shouting their lives out in the entire range, I found that denon struggles. Onkyo carries it with ease. But this is just my understanding about these avr's

Right now i am gonna keep it a stereo system with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7's. I am planning to have a Bi-Amp configuration. Is that really useful?

Later I'm definitely gonna get the Wharfedale Diamond 10.CM Center. One of the best centers you can get for that money. Not sure about the surrounds, I like the one from MNK but it comes only as a package here in India. Reg the sub, i'm gonna get the Polk Audio DSW PRO 600. Later i will add another punchy sub like the Klipsch RW-10d or RSW-10d.

Hi,

I have similar plans - I own an Onkyo TX-SR608 and plan to use it only in Stereo mode for the time being.

Even though I would have been better of buying a decent stereo Amp, that would seriously restrict my options to use a Sub, surrounds and a center, whenever I feel like doing so in the near future.

At the same time, video processing capabilities of an AVR can pretty much be made use of without opting for surrounds (upscaling, upconversion, audio return, DAC ...)

Just my thoughts.

Pannags

Very true. Exactly what i thought, when i started the avr hunt. 608 is quoted around 40k here. Its firmware cannot be upgraded over the ethernet or USB, which is gonna give us some critical fixes in the ever changing protocols and standards in audio and video

So I thought the 708 would be better @ around 60K just for the firmware upgrade feature. But then, 808 is more power for the money @ around 80k. I looked in to the 3008 and 5008 @ around 1.5L and 1.75L. I tried for the TX-SR876, almost equally powered like 5008, but without the HDMI 1.4a @ 70-80K. Couldn't get one.

Now i've decided on the 5008 from singapore or UK. i will never go for the US versions of ONKYO, just because of the voltage regulation issues. Its a very complicated issue and a big headache than you might think.

Haha 608 to 5008 - slippery slope indeed! That being said, the 5008 is a fantastic receiver - push-pull design, 4 ohm stable, a very beefy power supply and amp section, networking and great video processing. Bi-amping the 10.7 should work well - however the 10.7 is rated to handle a max of 200W so you may need to be careful about pushing it too hard.

If money is not an issue, then stick with the 5008 - it really is in a league of its own and is as future proof as a receiver can be!

Back