Which preamp should I get? Do I even need a preamp?

otakumaster69420

I'm planning to buy a pair of JBL One 104s from Amazon and I think I might as well get a preamp. Found Aiyima Tube A3, T3 and Behringer Microphono PP400.

A3 uses 6k4 tubes and T3 uses 6A2 tubes. T3 is expensive by 620 rupees. How different do these tubes sound? Also I'm kind of an audio "purist" so I think I should get the Behringer to avoid coloring. However I do like to have warm tone on some songs.

Moreover, I have UMC22 interface which has separate L/R TRS outputs and a headphone output and the speakers are active so do I even need a preamp?

Which preamp should I get? Preamp suggestions (under 7k rupees) are welcome.

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy a pair of JBL One 104s from Amazon and I think I might as well get a preamp. Found Aiyima Tube A3, T3 and Behringer Microphono PP400.

A3 uses 6k4 tubes and T3 uses 6A2 tubes. T3 is expensive by 620 rupees. How different do these tubes sound? Also I'm kind of an audio "purist" so I think I should get the Behringer to avoid coloring. However I do like to have warm tone on some songs.

Moreover, I have UMC22 interface which has separate L/R TRS outputs and a headphone output and the speakers are active so do I even need a preamp?

Which preamp should I get? Preamp suggestions (under 7k rupees) are welcome.
do you have a link to the product you bought ? if it has a speaker output and a volume control then you do not need a preamp. What you need to check though is it it can drive the speakers. at 87dB they may not be easy to drive.

do you have a link to the product you bought ? if it has a speaker output and a volume control then you do not need a preamp. What you need to check though is it it can drive the speakers. at 87dB they may not be easy to drive.
Here's the speaker. Has a 60-watt class D power amplifier with 30 watts going to each speaker.
This is the preamp I'm planning to get.

Get the Topping D10 balanced DAC and control volume from the source player. For Bluetooth input, you can directly control from your phone.

Here's the speaker. Has a 60-watt class D power amplifier with 30 watts going to each speaker.
This is the preamp I'm planning to get.
ok, its an active speaker so you do need a preamp

Are you going to use the computer + UMC22 as the source ? i think the behringer has an headphone & line out

Do check if the Line out ( TRS) is a variable output ( ie from preamp) OR fixed line out ( not from Preamp) based on that you can choose the TRS or the headphone out to connect to the speaker . ( ie as long as you have a headphone to RCA cable you need not use a separate Preamp.)

Maybe you can add the Preamp budget and get yourselves a better speaker ?

OR go by what @Kannan has suggested

Are you going to use the computer + UMC22 as the source ? i think the behringer has an headphone & line out

Do check if the Line out ( TRS) is a variable output ( ie from preamp) OR fixed line out ( not from Preamp) based on that you can choose the TRS or the headphone out to connect to the speaker . ( ie as long as you have a headphone to RCA cable you need not use a separate Preamp.)

Maybe you can add the Preamp budget and get yourselves a better speaker ?

OR go by what @Kannan has suggested
The headphone and line outputs don't come from the preamp. Only one input has a preamp.

Unfortunately, Topping D10 is out of my budget and is more expensive than the speakers. I'm just a teen building his first hifi setup so I can't shell out 20k. I'm actually thankful that my dad is ok with me buying stuff for more than 5k. How about the cheap Ifi Audio headphone amps or the Behringer phono preamp?

Last edited:
The headphone and line outputs don't come from the preamp. Only one input has a preamp.

Unfortunately, Topping D10 is out of my budget and is more expensive than the speakers. I'm just a teen building his first hifi setup so I can't shell out 20k. I'm actually thankful that my dad is ok with me buying stuff for more than 5k. How about the cheap Ifi Audio headphone amps or the Behringer phono preamp?
Even though I can't help you with your queries, I am very glad that you are doing your research and clarifying your doubts on the forum. The very best to your audio journey.

In that case, just use the Behringer UMC22 as USB Dac from your computer/laptop and run the two TRS outputs to the JBL and control volume from the computer/laptop.
You don't need a pre.

To my best guess, the headphone has to come from the Preamp..how else will you adjust the Headphone Volume ? Do check that out. if you can adjust the volume then it is doing the job of the preamp. and if so add your preamp budget to the speaker and get a bigger speaker which will go down to 55 hz or so
I really do not know much about these speakers but something like JBL Professional NANO K4 has bluetooth/TRS in as well as a volume control and is at 15K ie the cost of your speaker + Preamp.

The JBL one 104 doesn't have a volume pot? My strong guess is it's have. You may better leave preamp and look for better DAC in case your UMC22 is not good in that front.

The JBL one 104 doesn't have a volume pot? My strong guess is it's have. You may better leave preamp and look for better DAC in case your UMC22 is not good in that front.
In that case, will cheap headphone DACs work? The speakers only have 8Ω of impedance and even has an aux in. I guess they must easily drive these speakers. I'm worried about giving unbalanced signal to my speakers.

Last edited:
I believe the OP is fixated on Jbl Professional 1 Series 104-Bt, which does have a volume pot. He also has the UMC22 which has a monitor out and can be connected through a 6.35 mm to 3.5mm cable to the aux in of the jbl. But that's not the point I want to put across.

@otakumaster69420 You say you are an audio purist, but the speakers chosen are puny and will not at all do justice to low frequency. arj has suggested JBL Professional Nano K4 which will give a much fuller and better sound. What you should is take a laptop and audition and then chose the speakers. I don't want to discourage you from your current choice, but hearing it before buying is most important.

I believe the OP is fixated on Jbl Professional 1 Series 104-Bt, which does have a volume pot. He also has the UMC22 which has a monitor out and can be connected through a 6.35 mm to 3.5mm cable to the aux in of the jbl. But that's not the point I want to put across.

@otakumaster69420 You say you are an audio purist, but the speakers chosen are puny and will not at all do justice to low frequency. arj has suggested JBL Professional Nano K4 which will give a much fuller and better sound. What you should is take a laptop and audition and then chose the speakers. I don't want to discourage you from your current choice, but hearing it before buying is most important.
I've always wanted a pair of Yamaha NS10 but they cost an arm and a leg. JBL 104 is the speaker that comes close to NS10 that is under my budget. NS10 is famous for having only mid range and very quiet low frequency. Also I'm a musician so JBL 104 is perfect. Most people tend to overwork on the low end frequencies when mixing. JBL 104 lets me to concentrate on only what's important.

I've always wanted a pair of Yamaha NS10 but they cost an arm and a leg. JBL 104 is the speaker that comes close to NS10 that is under my budget. NS10 is famous for having only mid range and very quiet low frequency. Also I'm a musician so JBL 104 is perfect. Most people tend to overwork on the low end frequencies when mixing. JBL 104 lets me to concentrate on only what's important.
I looked at JBL 104 bt. It has RCA inputs on the back. Since it has a volume control, you won't require a preamp.

In that case, will cheap headphone DACs work? The speakers only have 8Ω of impedance and even has an aux in. I guess they must easily drive these speakers. I'm worried about giving unbalanced signal to my speakers.
In your chain UMC22 will be doing the D/A conversion any way (Hope you connect your Laptop to USB in of UMC22), so please have a listen first and then think of another DAC. If rush to buy something cheaper might not do justice to the entire chain. So first set the Speaker with your existing equipment and have a listen and then take a call.

Good luck..

The harmonics from the lower end contribute to the mid range. the JBL104 is only 65Hz and above and I doubt if it is the -3dB point. since now you do not need a Preamp..add that to the budget and get a speaker which can do more. I am sure even if you focus on midrange the mixing will sound better.

Perhaps the best is to use a Headphone and forgo the Speaker. a Beyerdynamic DT990 / Audio TEchnicaa ATX50/ or shure headphone would give you a midrange leaps ahead of what you are trying to do with these speakers. ( maybe 3-4 times the value for the same cost) and at 12 K still lower than your speaker+ preamp budget of 15K.

If you are OK with used, www.headphonezone.in has some used ones as well for sale and you might get a great deal to start off .

The art of not answering to a specific point, but instead going in circles and making it tedious.

The OP's queries are simple:
1) Do I need a PreAmp? - He has specified the model numbers. A quick search should tell you that he doesn't need a preamp.
2) Which PreAmp? - No question of suggesting one, since he doesn't need one.

@arj , why? what am I missing?

The art of not answering to a specific point, but instead going in circles and making it tedious.

The OP's queries are simple:
1) Do I need a PreAmp? - He has specified the model numbers. A quick search should tell you that he doesn't need a preamp.
2) Which PreAmp? - No question of suggesting one, since he doesn't need one.

@arj , why? what am I missing?

there are 2 ways you can answer a question
1. Answer it as is assuming the person is very clear on what he wants and hence a point query and an answer of Yes or no will suffice. people have already done it hence there is no issue.
2. The question could be representative of a deeper question which is what he is really looking for and 1 may not really solve his problem but he will get an answer. it would not be fair to give an yes or a no here as needs a deeper understanding of the real problem for both the OP and others

I would always prefer option 2 as leads to discussion and helps clarifications and understanding of an issue for all and makes the forum richer in content.

Last edited:
Initially when he asked for a preamp with reference to a 7k single ended tube pre, I suggested the Topping D10 (though it is only a DAC) as it has a technically superior design with an added budget of only 5k and his chain does not need a pre with the Topping putting out enough gain that can be controlled from his playback software.

When he then stated he is highly constricted with spending, I suggested he can skip the tube pre aswell and just use his UMC22.
Frankly adding a low quality pre is only going to increase loudness at the cost of fidelity.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back