Which Sansui Amps for Decks?

jayants

To drive my Analogue setups specially Tape Decks there are few whom I know who have recommended me Sansui Amps.Specially the model AU-D7.

Can the knowledgable here give some idea as how good are these Integrated Amps from Sansui and which are the models I should look for in particular?

I am not a Sansui fan for the simple reason that it is very hard to find un-tampered amplifiers. Most Sansuis on the market have been repaired at some point, mostly with non-OEM spares. You'd have to go for a complete re-cap project if you get one in good condition. Prices are also un-realistic and sky-high.

For you, it would be appropriate to give NAD a try. NAD has manufactured some legendary amplifiers over the years and for those on a budget, this brand is a life saver. I have a small collection of NAD equipment and I've generally found that a lot of my friends with more expensive gear, find it hard to get even near my NADs from a sound quality perspective. The NAD 3020 analogue amplifier in my opinion is the best way to get introduced to Hi-Fi. Once you listen to this amp, it will be hard for you to go past it. The NAD C320, is another well regarded amplifier from the NAD stable (though without a phono stage).

I am not a Sansui fan for the simple reason that it is very hard to find un-tampered amplifiers. Most Sansuis on the market have been repaired at some point, mostly with non-OEM spares. You'd have to go for a complete re-cap project if you get one in good condition. Prices are also un-realistic and sky-high.

For you, it would be appropriate to give NAD a try. NAD has manufactured some legendary amplifiers over the years and for those on a budget, this brand is a life saver. I have a small collection of NAD equipment and I've generally found that a lot of my friends with more expensive gear, find it hard to get even near my NADs from a sound quality perspective. The NAD 3020 analogue amplifier in my opinion is the best way to get introduced to Hi-Fi. Once you listen to this amp, it will be hard for you to go past it. The NAD C320, is another well regarded amplifier from the NAD stable (though without a phono stage).

Thanks Reuben.
I am looking for an Amp with Phonostage and I am not a heavy BASS lover.

To drive my Analogue setups specially Tape Decks there are few whom I know who have recommended me Sansui Amps.Specially the model AU-D7.

Can the knowledgable here give some idea as how good are these Integrated Amps from Sansui and which are the models I should look for in particular?

When you ask for particular models - ARE ALL MODELS FREELY AVAILABLE??

what about sansui_au-g33x_amplifier. it on sale so wanted your advice for my friend.

Sansuis are very musical ones. I prefer before 80's Sansui.

the simple reason that it is very hard to find un-tampered amplifiers. Most Sansuis on the market have been repaired at some point, mostly with non-OEM spares.

Reuben is right. Now days very hard to find un-tampered ones.

regds,

shafic

Now am Mad of Sansui's Sound, So my only request dont miss them if you get a chance particular to the 80's and Before.

But as Reubensm suggested you could try Nad and later mover to Sansui when you get hold of some good Piece.

Now am Mad of Sansui's Sound, So my only request dont miss them if you get a chance particular to the 80's and Before.

But as Reubensm suggested you could try Nad and later mover to Sansui when you get hold of some good Piece.

Which Sansui Models?

Which Sansui Models?

Jayants sorry have not seen ur signature

You have very good source and Amplification but IMHO bare basic Lousy speakers.

In fact I have seen people spending much more on speakers than rest of the components in chain... your case is different

and any good component is as good as weakest component.

By the way I have reasonable expertise as smalltime second hand seller and hobbyist .... these sansui amps considered very good

AU D 11
AU D 9
AU 717
AU 919
G 33000 Receiver
9090DB receiver

Now my take on vintage

WHAT IS UR BUDGET FOR AMP + SPEAKERS??
CAN YOU GET UR STUFF FROM ABROD ?

I Sold AU D 11, AU D 7 ,717 and numerous other sansuis in the past , as well as NADS..

I feel people become OVER ROMANTIC while describing sound and you MAY NOT like particular sound . .AU D 11 has totally different sound than AU D 7 & where I really liked D7 being more bass heavy.
I sold D11 , which I bought as keeper amp as I found sound bland.By the way it was near mint , I was not able to find any change of components. unnily I never saw any ad for D11 after my AD.

Also Pioneer, Technics,Kenwood , Marantz had fantastic vintage Amps. Again Sony too made some deadly amps. Just check thevintageknob site

The Vintage Knob - Online vintage audio museum, forum and image bank

My suggestion is if you have sufficient budget give a chance to modern sound - in fact fix up a budget for Amp + Speaker and audio as many as possible preferably carrying YOUR gear , you may find something worthwhile. In fact check some studio monitors too one of the BEST sound I heard was Genelac , gain I had modest M Audio 8 Inch studio monitors , which for the price I found pleasing.

DO NOT GO BLINDLY for particular models. In a pune meet 2ars back we found Acoustic Portrait Pre Power was highly overrated - that too after numerous combination of cables ,sources and speakers ... and the power amp was beaten by a Norge amp costing one fourth of the price!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for ur detailed insight.
Which speakers u suggest? My budget is anything within 40k a pair but should be floor standing.

Also if u can pls explain why u term my current speakers inadequate?Reason being in the past I thought of changing speakers but few audiophile friend of mine sugegsted not to saying this is very good.

Jayants sorry have not seen ur signature

You have very good source and Amplification but IMHO bare basic Lousy speakers.

In fact I have seen people spending much more on speakers than rest of the components in chain... your case is different

and any good component is as good as weakest component.

By the way I have reasonable expertise as smalltime second hand seller and hobbyist .... these sansui amps considered very good

AU D 11
AU D 9
AU 717
AU 919
G 33000 Receiver
9090DB receiver

Now my take on vintage

WHAT IS UR BUDGET FOR AMP + SPEAKERS??
CAN YOU GET UR STUFF FROM ABROD ?

I Sold AU D 11, AU D 7 ,717 and numerous other sansuis in the past , as well as NADS..

I feel people become OVER ROMANTIC while describing sound and you MAY NOT like particular sound . .AU D 11 has totally different sound than AU D 7 & where I really liked D7 being more bass heavy.
I sold D11 , which I bought as keeper amp as I found sound bland.By the way it was near mint , I was not able to find any change of components. unnily I never saw any ad for D11 after my AD.

Also Pioneer, Technics,Kenwood , Marantz had fantastic vintage Amps. Again Sony too made some deadly amps. Just check thevintageknob site

The Vintage Knob - Online vintage audio museum, forum and image bank

My suggestion is if you have sufficient budget give a chance to modern sound - in fact fix up a budget for Amp + Speaker and audio as many as possible preferably carrying YOUR gear , you may find something worthwhile. In fact check some studio monitors too one of the BEST sound I heard was Genelac , gain I had modest M Audio 8 Inch studio monitors , which for the price I found pleasing.

DO NOT GO BLINDLY for particular models. In a pune meet 2ars back we found Acoustic Portrait Pre Power was highly overrated - that too after numerous combination of cables ,sources and speakers ... and the power amp was beaten by a Norge amp costing one fourth of the price!!!

@ Jayant

3Y
these are bare bones speakers -yamaha just exploiting their name - below average ,maybe below Norge

Being a dealer I used to get vintage. Now 4-5 years back I was in search of less used Slender towers A la yamaha - at that time Had a yamaha AVR

at that time visited 6-7 dealers / sub dealers of yamaha other brands - EVERYONE turned town Yamaha speakers . You see in Yamaha AVR packages low priced packaged are with Yamaha speakers , all mid to high priced packages are with other speakers ( mainly mission , but that was because both have same sistri)

Yamaha has better speakers series called soavo NOT available i India

Anyway If you read more japanese mass market speakers are not highly regarded. Myself too sold some Sansui , Kenwood , Technics speakers in the past , including those massive 12 inchers - never thought any as keeper speaker

by the way what is ur budget for amp n speakers? I suggest you read , have patience and have more auditions... you will get a good deal

also theere are situations when you get average amp and average speaker but if synergy is perfect / OR SOMETIMES U LIKE THE SOUND the system sound magical..my suggestion is BUY THE ENTIRE SYSTEM .

I say read as sometimes deals are available on odd brands . I was in touch with a nice gentleman in kolkata 3-4 years back,he got a SUGDEN class A amp for 7 K !! Crazy but maybe original owner may not getting customers due to odd brands. In fact on our forum too a complete Naim system was available for 60K , which IMHO was steal!!!

All the best have a great audio journey

Hemant thanks a lot for ur insight.

In Cal the issue is the HIFI Shops that we have deal with more specific AMP brands like Marantz,Cambridge,Onkyo,Pioneer to name a few and same with speakers as well.So at times I get confused and its more on the base of reviews that we land up for a demo session.

Honestly the kind of music I listen to I think my Yamaha 496 is fairly ok but yes I am eyeing a Sansui or a Nad (2nd hand) as well.

Coming to speakrs there are few Wharfedale models which I really liked after taking a demo but am still not decided on the same.As I said my budget for speakers only will be within 40k

@ Jayant

3Y
these are bare bones speakers -yamaha just exploiting their name - below average ,maybe below Norge

Being a dealer I used to get vintage. Now 4-5 years back I was in search of less used Slender towers A la yamaha - at that time Had a yamaha AVR

at that time visited 6-7 dealers / sub dealers of yamaha other brands - EVERYONE turned town Yamaha speakers . You see in Yamaha AVR packages low priced packaged are with Yamaha speakers , all mid to high priced packages are with other speakers ( mainly mission , but that was because both have same sistri)

Yamaha has better speakers series called soavo NOT available i India

Anyway If you read more japanese mass market speakers are not highly regarded. Myself too sold some Sansui , Kenwood , Technics speakers in the past , including those massive 12 inchers - never thought any as keeper speaker

by the way what is ur budget for amp n speakers? I suggest you read , have patience and have more auditions... you will get a good deal

also theere are situations when you get average amp and average speaker but if synergy is perfect / OR SOMETIMES U LIKE THE SOUND the system sound magical..my suggestion is BUY THE ENTIRE SYSTEM .

I say read as sometimes deals are available on odd brands . I was in touch with a nice gentleman in kolkata 3-4 years back,he got a SUGDEN class A amp for 7 K !! Crazy but maybe original owner may not getting customers due to odd brands. In fact on our forum too a complete Naim system was available for 60K , which IMHO was steal!!!

All the best have a great audio journey

I have Sansui AU D-7 in my main set up and my Technics 1200 turntable is hooked to it. I must say the combination is deadly and divine. I mostly listen to old bollywood vinyls and the sound is awesome and natural with slight color of bass. I am a bass lover and very happy with Sansui. Trying to upgrade to Sansui 717 or 919 very soon.

I have Sansui AU D-7 in my main set up and my Technics 1200 turntable is hooked to it. I must say the combination is deadly and divine. I mostly listen to old bollywood vinyls and the sound is awesome and natural with slight color of bass. I am a bass lover and very happy with Sansui. Trying to upgrade to Sansui 717 or 919 very soon.

Sourav,

Au-717 and 919(the 7 series & 9 series) have two very different sound signatures. I don't like to give verdict as to which one is better but they are different when listened side by side(I heard them together very recently). And 9series is supposed to have better fluidity/musicality and maybe heavier bass. Also better built.

If not absolutely necessary(read bitten by the bug :) ), I don't see an immediate upgrade requirement from your AU-D7.

Again, since nowadays we all have become more of a collector than listener, you can absolutely pickup any 519/719/919 that comes in your way to make your neighbors envious.

Best regards,

Bhaskar

AU 719 Cannot disappoint you.In fact i stopped searching for amp after owning one.Still restoration due, but it sounds beautiful.

Looking for 717,Just to listen when 719 goes for restoration :)

Look no further Sansui AU -555 is a gem of integrated amp.It has very warm tuby sound.You will be delighted with its Phono In. It has Tape head in and Cassette deck loop.Only thing you will need to do is recap the amp.with nichikon caps and change few transister.I think you will need to change around 7 transisters.
I have spare one s if you need any.The caps are available online .Take help of fm Akshay for your sansui needs..I am going to send my AU 555 to him for calibration and bias setting.
Next in the line I have is AU 417.It has more or less neutral sound signature.I use it sparingly but it is also a good Sansui to go for.
Both these can also be used as a preamp. or power amp.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back