Which subwoofer to buy?

Rajpol

Hi All,

I am looking for a subwoofer to pair with my Dali Zensors 3. The BIC America PL 200ii is within my budget and seems like a good buy. Also I have been reading about the Klipsch R-12SW which is lightly beyond my budget but I can think about it if it is way better than the BIC America.

There are rave reviews about the svs pb 1000 but the speaker is above my budget.

My usage - Netflix, Amazon Prime, movies (very high quality mkv 25 GB plus sizes), music (mostly You Tube) and games (XBOX one). I am not very fussy and I probably watch more movies than music. (60/40 split).

I also do not have golden ears - based on my need what would the forum members suggest?

Note: I am lazy and am probably not going to run around different shops auditioning the various subwoofers. I bought the Dali Zensor online and am extremely happy with the speakers so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

There are a variety of brands and models out there.....Sealed, Ported, etc etc.

It all depends how much of bass you want.....too bassy ...just right.....there are many links like the one below which give their views and reviews to certain brands....these can be brand biased.....

https://www.lifewire.com/best-home-subwoofers-to-buy-4066815

Bottomline, you need to decide which subwoofer type, size, power, brand works for your expectations.....bass tight or smooth flowing....if you are more into movies, you would need a ported sub (my opinion) and you need to get a sub which can deliver the lowest possible bass frequencies closer to 20hz....

The Dali Z3s give decent bass for music and to an extent some good effects for movies.....you will find missing more lower frequencies which will be compensated by the sub you choose.....ensure it is as close as to 20hz....

Also decide on the brand and size as you would need to place the same in a pre identified spot near the TV or screen.....there are many tutorials over the web on best placement spots and how to achieve good blend of the sub with the other speakers...

I personally use the BIC America PL 200 (older model than the Series II) and it blends well for music and movies.....fits the budget and has overall value...

Trust your ears, read reviews available over HFV and websites....see some youtube videos....audition where possible and then make the purchaase....dont rush.

I am looking for a subwoofer to pair with my Dali Zensors 3.

Two sub-woofers are better in a room than a single sub.. So in that regard, try to accommodate two identical subs in your budget..

Note: I am lazy and am probably not going to run around different shops auditioning the various subwoofers. I bought the Dali Zensor online and am extremely happy with the speakers so far.

Buying online saves you a lot of time.. Spend better time by placement of subs in the room..

@efernand1 Thanks and indeed my usage is more into movies and so even I am drawn towards the BIC. The Dali's are pretty good and I would have preferred to try a subwoofer in my own room before purchasing one. I am no hurry and officially as far as specs go the BIC goes lower than the Klipsch and even the SVS. However, specs tell only half the story.

@elangoas Thanks - my budget limits me to only one at this point in time.

@efernand1 Thanks and indeed my usage is more into movies and so even I am drawn towards the BIC. The Dali's are pretty good and I would have preferred to try a subwoofer in my own room before purchasing one. I am no hurry and officially as far as specs go the BIC goes lower than the Klipsch and even the SVS. However, specs tell only half the story.

If you compare frequency range of BIC America PL 200ii Ported Sub (21-200Hz) with SVS PB-1000 ported sub (19-270Hz), SVS goes down below BIC PL200ii.

If your room size is small, you may consider SVS SB-1000.

Ideally you should audition the subwoofers with few movie scenes and decide.
In case of SVS, you can buy without audition also if you can stretch your budget.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back