which tv has the best pq in 2d among sony 2013 tvs

subbubusk

Hi Friends,

Which tv is better for 2d pq;

40W900a or 42w800a or 46w700a . This year sony started extended warranties +2. Being loyal Samsung fan (galaxy note, samsung b530 ) now looking sony options also.

Subbu... you are a confused guy :p

Your wife will kill you anyway for spending so much on 40".

If you can survive, go for the 40" W900.

Last edited:
Shaju i'm not a confused guy.Everyone has the budget limitations.It is always better to get opinions frm different persons.One should not go with his/her own perceptions and live with it dis-satisfactions.I'm not an idiot who sell kidney for a stupid box as some others suggesting.That was on fun i said my wife would kill me if i buy a 132k tv.If i make a decission i will go on to buy 46w950a also.I will hear all your opinions but i will make the decision.King will always ask cabinet opinions ,it is not that he is confused.So first understand the basics and comment.

Shaju i'm not a confused guy.Everyone has the budget limitations.It is always better to get opinions frm different persons.One should not go with his/her own perceptions and live with it dis-satisfactions.I'm not an idiot who sell kidney for a stupid box as some others suggesting.That was on fun i said my wife would kill me if i buy a 132k tv.If i make a decission i will go on to buy 46w950a also.I will hear all your opinions but i will make the decision.King will always ask cabinet opinions ,it is not that he is confused.So first understand the basics and comment.
Jokes and suggestions to "sell kidney" apart, the following thoughts must go into the purchase of a TV:
  1. It is not as if you are going to buy a TV every couple of years. God bless, your TV is at least a five year horizon investment. So don't compromise on quality and regret later.
  2. No TV size is very big. Inititally graduating from a 29" to 40" may feel like a quantum jump but very soon (give or take 6 months), the quantum seems to be smaller than a nanomite. If you watch a lot of movies (like I do) and are interested in 3D, then large screen is the way to go.
  3. Budget must be set and stuck at no matter what. While it is all right to think of the costliest and the best TV, it is sheer folly to invest hige amount on a rather dead and depreciating investment. This goes contrary to (1) and (2) above, but it isn't so. The idea is to strike a balance.

All in all, don't make a compromise but don't go overboard either. Every forum member will come with his/her own suggestion. Even me. If I say, go and buy 46W950, "???? ??? ?? ???? ???? ???". It isn't me who is buying or paying. So you can be your own judge. But do consider the long term picture. For instance, I purchased a Window AC rather than split four years ago because I felt that cost difference (13K vs 19K) was too great. But now, I feel that the sound sleep one gets in a near noise-free environment is well worth the 6K. Then again, I could have saved about 18K by going for a 42ST50 instead 50ST50. But I felt that the true cinema and immersing experience (especially in 3D), the 50" is better. Same criteria, I applied while thinking between:

- 50UT50 (cheaper) and 50ST50 (costlier but much better)
- 46HX850 (costlier and smaller) vs. 50ST50 (I felt that ST50 is shade better and much larger at the same time 20k cheaper)
- 50GT50 (costlier and better) vs. 50ST50 (I felt that GT50's higher cost of 18K did not justify the benefits achieved)

I had also set a budget of 90K to 100K and I more or less stuck to that. The word "quality" is often misinterpreted. "Quality" does not mean the best. Quality means "conformance to requirements". No one is right mind will ever say that a Merc or Beemer is not quality; but when the requirement is going to the corner shop 1/2 km away, a two-wheeler is a better option.

Subbu,

My comment was just chaff. Don't stress much.

I went out with my boy friends for shopping few weeks back. One of them hubbled around forever and we ended up calling him a girl for the rest of the day. That doesn't make in a girl, does it?

Point is what I commented is to be taken as much in lighter vein as your wife killing joke. Hypothetical... what if she reads your post? Will she accept it as a harmless tease or file a police complaint?

Anyways, the intent does not matter more than the recipient's perception. So my apologies if the post sent out a wrong message. I agree with your point that everyone should be practical on decision making. Sita wouldn't have had to go through agnipariksha then.

Now, to help you a bit (in case my opinion still hold value). Having demoed all 3 Sony you listed I can safely say W950 is better choice based on 2D PQ if money is not a constraint. The viewing angles are not the best but rest of the PQ is excellent. If you are a Samsung guy then try the F8000 or even the F7500. They have wider viewing angles and excellent displays.

W800 series have IPS panel. Blacks and contrast are not the best but better than Panasonic and LG IPS implementations. Though a bit overpriced they are good.

W700 is a good tv. Doesn't have the extensive "PQ" feature list of W950. So if you are a HD movie guy then it will a bit of a disappointment.

avmaxfan replied to your post and ended with the word "simple". That says it all.

If you provide specific requirements then you are likely to get more helpful replies. Post about your viewing habits, distance from tv, tv that you are graduating from and most importantly the budget.

Oh boy!, long post. Hope this time the King is happy :)

Last edited:
Shaju
Thanks for the post.I receive your apologies in the right manner. im currently having 32b530 samsung lcd .Looking for gud pq as main point. Viewing angle problem means is it bigger or similar to all tvs? .I will surely have demo on w9 and w955 and also f7500 tomorrow. but w955 is still 50% more than budget.I have to justify my mind first for this.I have -1 for samsung since they dont provide extended warranty.My viewing distance 12feet. im not a 3d guy.

Thanks just4kix. Yes i agree with you.You have strike balance between money and quality.Dont make decission in hasty and regret later.I will surely take all the experts opinion including you and decide.Let me take a demo tomorrow.

Shaju
Thanks for the post.I receive your apologies in the right manner. im currently having 32b530 samsung lcd .Looking for gud pq as main point. Viewing angle problem means is it bigger or similar to all tvs? .I will surely have demo on w9 and w955 and also f7500 tomorrow. but w955 is still 50% more than budget.I have to justify my mind first for this.I have -1 for samsung since they dont provide extended warranty.My viewing distance 12feet. im not a 3d guy.

Perfect. Nothing like a self demo.

Your upgrade is from 32". So go for a 46" for your 12ft distance. I presume your budget is 90K?

Best options are W800 (bit of budget stretch), F5500 or F6100. I wouldn't bother looking at Panasonic or LG. If you opt for Samsung it leaves you cash for a bluray player investment.

Hope it helps. Waiting for your demo report.

Last edited:
hi friends,

I bought Sony40kdlw900a yesterday at sony center.Still not in other stores in bangalore yet.Awesome 2d pq, i watched some demo content in showroom for 3d it also looked nice.SD picture looking little weird when sitting near the tv.Then it is usual and known fact to everybody.I watched 720p Jabtakhainjaan rip ,it looked awesome in my tv.Then think abount 1080p rips performances.

I also auditioned w800 and w700 not looking gud comparing to w900.

There is 55w950 is also available in sony store,but only diff is opti contrast panel awesome looks and awesome finish style. We are looking pq right, not panel beautification.So gone with W900a itself.

Little bit of slow motion movements when watched through usb.Dont know have to adjust with settings.Im planning to set with avsforum settings,mean while how to see panel usage hrs in sony led tv. Thanks Shaju,just4kix,Dirac and all friends who helped me to find tv.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back