Which website to use to buy stuff from abroad?

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

Well this is a slightly different thread as I do not want to know what I should buy rather How I should buy from abroad.

There are few products I am looking which are available on ebay, amazon etc but are not available to India.

I know many sites offer service to buy products which are not available in India though I can recall only borderlinx now.

So could you all please share which are the options I can look for and which website has most consistent good review and what kind of problems can be faced?

Regards

I recently bought a product from ebay.com through shopabroadonline.com and it was delivered in 10-12 days. Using the online calculator you can find the total cost including shipping and customs duty. You can place the order through them if you don't have a CC or paypal or you can order directly and shopabroad will do the shipping and customs part. You can order from any website. If you order it today, you can use a coupon 'JULY042012' to get Rs.500/- discount. There is no fees for registration. Please make sure that you are not logged out automatically before placing an order. I placed an order and it is not credited in my account and I'm running after them for the refund. Their online support is not great, even after sending a dozen mails, I didn't get any response from them. But the customer care service is quite helpful if contacted over phone. I'm still after them for the refund.

Ohk. I made an account on shopabroadonline and checked details of the product.

Their quote is roughly Rs 5000 for the item (without using any code) which costs about Rs 3000 in usa.

So I wanted to know whether you all have compared its rate viz a viz other websites? And also what sort of issues I can expect to face if I order.

apply coupon codes to use discounts. also if you product becomes heavier then the price increase is lesser here than in aramex shop and ship service (similar). And the difference you are seeing yes that will be there international imports. Moreover if you take the option Request a Quote they reply bqck after some time but I have found that quote to be cheaper than the online quote by 100 - 200 rs at times.

apply coupon codes to use discounts. also if you product becomes heavier then the price increase is lesser here than in aramex shop and ship service (similar). And the difference you are seeing yes that will be there international imports. Moreover if you take the option Request a Quote they reply bqck after some time but I have found that quote to be cheaper than the online quote by 100 - 200 rs at times.

Also I wanted to ask but forgot in last post that it asks about the "weight". How do I calculate that? Should I ask the seller to quote the exact weight?

Also how frequent are their coupon codes?

Do websites also provide any option of sending item as gift?

Last edited:
Also I wanted to ask but forgot in last post that it asks about the "weight". How do I calculate that? Should I ask the seller to quote the exact weight?

Also how frequent are their coupon codes?

Do websites also provide any option of sending item as gift?

no option for gift, so you cannot avoid customs charges even for trivial items that sometimes may avoid customs charges.

If the shipping weight of the item is not provided in the site you better check for the same on other sites and put it there. Worst case if cannot be found anywhere you put 1 pound as weight and if the actual weight is more they will ask you to pay extra. Another option is to ask them via "Request Quote" link to provide quote which does not require you to provide the weight as a mandatory field. In both cases it is better than to overpay for weight by entering something more than actual by guess work.

big items /sensitive ? boarderlinx, combine cable, power filter etc
shopabroadonline has gift option check
In the case of gifts or other purchases made on behalf of another recipient, you agree to secure and make the foregoing authorizations to Shop Abroad on behalf of the recipient designated in your order.
- from their site !

Hello everyone

I would like to thank you all for suggesting shopabroadonline. I have finally ordered a product from there.

However I didn't receive any confirmation mail! Does it always happen or is there anything to worry about and contact their customer care?

Regards

Did you not receive the payment confirmation email? Or any email confrming your order number? If not then just verify once by calling their helpline number

People I also want to get something from US. Registered on shopabroadonline. I didnt find the product on their site as such, but under computers it stats Amazon and I was able to find the product on amazon (obviously!), but how am I suppose to use the services to get something from amazon. clicking on amazon takes me to amazon site and then there is no link between shopabroadonline and amazon ......

any pointers will be appriciated ... :)

People I also want to get something from US. Registered on shopabroadonline. I didnt find the product on their site as such, but under computers it stats Amazon and I was able to find the product on amazon (obviously!), but how am I suppose to use the services to get something from amazon. clicking on amazon takes me to amazon site and then there is no link between shopabroadonline and amazon ......

any pointers will be appriciated ... :)

Copy & Paste the URL of the product page on shopabroadonline site and ask for a quote.

Hope this helps.

sam, it is quite easy. There is a cost calculator in the site. Paste the url of the product from any US site and enter details like price, weight etc to get online quote. It is recommended to save the quote and then proceed to order from the saved quotes under your account settings.

Hey Guys,

How reliable is shopabroadonline? I am considering buying a high end marantz av receiver. Contemplating on buying it since it may work more inexpensive. Do you guys think its worth a shot?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back