Which wireless router?

shaiju_o_thomas

Hi.

No experience at all with wireless routers. Want to buy one for home use. Just booked a Hathway connection under 5Mbps unlimited plan. Router will be placed in bedroom and main usage will be in living area (home/office laptop, later few more WiFi enabled devices).

Please suggest good routers. Budget around 3-4K. Can go up a bit if it is worth.

Thanks!
Shaiju

A bad router can be a pain in the neck for anyone who is dependent on a reliable internet connection for large parts of the day. Over the years I have fought plenty of wars with my ISP's and I have tried many modems and routers. I have a techie cousin living nearby who is a great help in times of trouble. Recently I spent a few miserable months because all my computers were 'hanging' and my music streamers were constantly re-buffering.

There are plenty of choices in the market---D Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, Billion, Buffalo. I have used some of these brand with varying degrees of satisfaction. Recently I did a lot of reading on the internet before deciding on a new modem+router. I found that D-Link seemed to have largely positive reviews. The dealer was good enough to let me 'audition' a Netgear at home before I finally settled on a D-Link DSL2750U N300 ADSL2 wireless router+modem. Price 2600 inr.

I am extremely happy with this one. Far more than any router I have used before. Easy to set up. Much better build quality than Netgear or Belkin. Excellent connectivity in every corner of a big house. On/off power switch which most routers don't seem to have. Running a desktop/laptop/ipad/SB Touch/SB Boom---sometimes simultaneously :). I would give it a ***** rating.

A bad router can be a pain in the neck for anyone who is dependent on a reliable internet connection for large parts of the day. Over the years I have fought plenty of wars with my ISP's and I have tried many modems and routers. I have a techie cousin living nearby who is a great help in times of trouble. Recently I spent a few miserable months because all my computers were 'hanging' and my music streamers were constantly re-buffering.

There are plenty of choices in the market---D Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, Billion, Buffalo. I have used some of these brand with varying degrees of satisfaction. Recently I did a lot of reading on the internet before deciding on a new modem+router. I found that D-Link seemed to have largely positive reviews. The dealer was good enough to let me 'audition' a Netgear at home before I finally settled on a D-Link DSL2750U N300 ADSL2 wireless router+modem. Price 2600 inr.

I am extremely happy with this one. Far more than any router I have used before. Easy to set up. Much better build quality than Netgear or Belkin. Excellent connectivity in every corner of a big house. On/off power switch which most routers don't seem to have. Running a desktop/laptop/ipad/SB Touch/SB Boom---sometimes simultaneously :). I would give it a ***** rating.

Never tried BSNL/mTNL and their pre packeged router? my experience is fantastic with service and hardware..

Got D-Link N300 DIR-615. Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Good choice! Initially I had contemplated buying DIR 615 for using with the modem provided by Airtel. But then I opted for a one box modem+router. For someone willing to spend a bit more, the DIR 655 is one of the best routers available at the moment. The DIR 600 would be good enough enough for most users living in an apartment. The best prices I was able to get were:

DIR 600 1700/-
DIR 615 3000/-
DIR 655 5500/-

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DIR-600/DIR-600_ds.pdf
D-Link Wireless N 300 Router
D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

I have a Belkin and its useless...My area has lots of external disturbances and wireless just doesnt work.......try Cisco / Netgear or even Dlink - they may be better than Belkin.....but if possible always go for wired connection , there is nothing like wired network.......its the best....

Try asus one which has torrent downloader inbuilt worth spending if you download a lot.
Don't remember the exact model name.

Im also in the market for a good router-for some reason my Netgear Wireless G doesnt always work reliably for wired connections, works better wirelessly!

FUP of 10GB. Then 2.5 mbps. That's fine with me for 899 p/m. They also have a 20GB FUP.

I tried setting up the router but unsuccessful :(

Even with that FUP the plan is attractive. I'm using a bsnl night unlimited 2mbps connection. I'm getting only 90kBps speed which is less than 1 mbps. These days the bsnl connection is very unreliable. It disconnects frequently.

I can never trust any router than Cisco. I have used 4 router in my Internet lifecycle, and the D-Link one was a Major PITA. I dont remember the model name but it was no good. It was not the connectivity, as such but other problems, like it used to reboot sometimes on fluctuations. Few missing advance settings that I needed. Difficult to configure.... blah blah. I switched to Linksys and never looked back. Used WRT54G for 4 years 24x7. Superb connectivity, absolute easy to configure and the easiest router to upgrade to a DD-WRT custom firmware, which made it a Super Router worth 10K. :)

I finally dumped it for Wifi n. And bought Linksys E2000, another Gem of a piece, more better features, superb connectivity and bets of all class range. Teh best rang amount routers. I have not yet installed DD-WRT, but going through the manuals, I see that its even easier than installing om WRT54G.

I use a Airtel bundled/branded Beetel 450-TC1 which is
an all-in-one box - DSL modem, 4 port ethernet and wifi.
I have used it with both Airtel and then with BSNL DSL.
It uses a UTStarcom chipset, and is great value - paid Rs 1000 for it.

Router is now setup. Connected my personal and official laptops as well as Samsung mobile.

For Hathway connections the bindings have to be cleared. Called their customer care but systems were down. Executive refused to help with router settings. So did the setup myself.

I cloned my laptop MAC address, static IP an subnet mask on to the router. Works like a breeze. Found all this info on HiFiVision.

Ajay, kittu - thanks for the router recommendation.

I can never trust any router than Cisco. I have used 4 router in my Internet lifecycle, and the D-Link one was a Major PITA. I dont remember the model name but it was no good. It was not the connectivity, as such but other problems, like it used to reboot sometimes on fluctuations. Few missing advance settings that I needed. Difficult to configure.... blah blah. I switched to Linksys and never looked back. Used WRT54G for 4 years 24x7. Superb connectivity, absolute easy to configure and the easiest router to upgrade to a DD-WRT custom firmware, which made it a Super Router worth 10K. :)

I finally dumped it for Wifi n. And bought Linksys E2000, another Gem of a piece, more better features, superb connectivity and bets of all class range. Teh best rang amount routers. I have not yet installed DD-WRT, but going through the manuals, I see that its even easier than installing om WRT54G.

No drops at all? D-Link dropped once yesterday. Not much of a problem but wouldn't like if it is frequent.

Couple of more things:
1) Radio Type shows as 802.11g - is that fine?
2) Windows 7 shows up some more WiFi connectivity and is set to "Connect automatically". Is there a way to remove / disable the unrecognized connections?
3) Any tweaks I can do on the DIR-615 router to improve / maintain signal strength?

Even with that FUP the plan is attractive. I'm using a bsnl night unlimited 2mbps connection. I'm getting only 90kBps speed which is less than 1 mbps. These days the bsnl connection is very unreliable. It disconnects frequently.

Hi Baiju,

I am using Beam Fiber, 10mbps FUP(30GB) and then 2 mbps. Speed is exactly as they mentioned. It is 1000Rs/month.

I am using laptop + IPhone in parallel and it is awesome experience at that speed

Hi Baiju,

I am using Beam Fiber, 10mbps FUP(30GB) and then 2 mbps. Speed is exactly as they mentioned. It is 1000Rs/month.

I am using laptop + IPhone in parallel and it is awesome experience at that speed

BSNL is the only option I have at my place and it is pathetic now with slow speed, frequent disconnections etc.:sad:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back