Which Woofer? Please Help!!

dinesh1201

Hi Buddies and Senior members,

Greetings form my side :)

Scene: I'm using M-Audio AV40 for my music listening and connected to M audio audiophile 2496 Sound card directly to my Windows 7 PC.

Last month I purchased an Audioengine DAC D1 and it improves the clarity in sound very much. I'm happy with the sound now. Now AV40s connected to DAC D1 via USB.

Now I wanted to add a powered Sub woofer :eek:hyeah: to this layout. I searched for one that can be connected to my powered monitors but found none except Audioengine S8 and Cambridge Audio Minx 200.

I do not want a sub with larger driver as my home office room is not very spacious.

I've sent an email to Audioengine and they told me that only Subs having two sets of inputs and outputs RCA can be connected to my layout ( between DAC D1 and AV 40s ).

My budget is not very high and I'm still collecting money for the sub. AE S8 is about 22k while CA Minx 200 is 24k both are very pricey :(.

If you/experts please suggest me which one should I go for between S8 or CA Minx 200 I'll be really grateful to you all :) , this will really help me and I can concentrate on my work :eek:

Audioengine S8: 8" driver, paper treated cone, Bass port design, 11.25" square in size, 125 watt
----------------------
Audioengine S8 (Gloss white) Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Minx 200: 6.5" driver, Aluminum cone, 2 passive radiators design instead of bass port, 8" square in size, 200 watt
----------------------
Cambridge Audio Minx X200 (White) Ultra-compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Both have same connectors on back

Thank you all in advance :clapping:

based on a look at the specs and the alignments (and nothing else) i'd say that that the minx has a better chance of going what it claims.

one normally needs a pretty loooong vent to tune low in in sub 1cu.ft box, esp with a port dia. that prevents chuffing, so unless there is some intricate tubing inside, i'd take the audio engine specs of 27hz extension with a bit of salt.

the minx has a more practical approach to small box bass. in your place, if I was not building my own, the minx is what i'd choose.

neither will go really loud, but I guess that is okay with you.

Thanks so much kapvin. I was wondering how the aluminum driver sounds (in Minx) or about the durability as compared to the paper cone. I haven't listened to the one having aluminum cone and passive radiators..is it as durable+sounds good as subs with bass port design?
Also Audioengine told me that S8 would work in my setup between DAC D1 and AV40s because the sub has connectors a powered monitors need to connect with. I'm not an expert of this.. so just thought that Minx would work too just by seeing back connectors :D

Any advice...

Room size : 8x8

Metal cones drivers have breakups, which sound, well, "metallic" but mostly at frequencies which are well beyond the operating bandwidths of subs. So you should not have any issues.

Re the connections, I have no idea about the other components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Metal cones drivers have breakups, which sound, well, "metallic" but mostly at frequencies which are well beyond the operating bandwidths of subs. So you should not have any issues.

Re the connections, I have no idea about the other components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the suggestion kapvin..

Back