Which would be better cable for stereo effect in 5.1 Home Theater

arijitghosh

Guys,

I have a consusion here. I have a 5.1 channel HT system with 2 floor standing speakers. When I watch movie I on entire 5.1 channel and when I listen to music I do it with stereo mode - 2 front floor standing speakers and sub.

Now when I listening to music, there are 4 cases -
First case: I am connecting DVD player and AV receiver with HDMI cable
Second case: Connecting DVD player and receiver with coaxial cable
Third case: Connecting them with optical cable
Fourth case: connecting with analog cable

Now please suggest which would be the best sound when I will be listening to music and why.

Thanks friends

Which one you found better?

In the first three cases the signal is fed as digital so the decoding is done by the avr DAC where as when analog is used the quality will depend on the DVD DAC.

I have heard only with HDMI and Analog medium - and you are correct, I have found analog one as in the better position in making stereo sound.
But I have not heard with coaxial and optical.
Fact is that irrespective of any medium being used, ultimately DAC is getting used in one of the ends. But I am surprised here, as I assumed AVR being little hi-fi than normal DVD player - AVR's DAC should have been better than normal DVD player. So I feed digital signal to AVR from DVD player and make the AVR to convert from digital to analog, this analog signal should have been more refined one. But in practice, it is the other way around.
Why so ??

Guys,

I have a consusion here. I have a 5.1 channel HT system with 2 floor standing speakers. When I watch movie I on entire 5.1 channel and when I listen to music I do it with stereo mode - 2 front floor standing speakers and sub.

Now when I listening to music, there are 4 cases -
First case: I am connecting DVD player and AV receiver with HDMI cable
Second case: Connecting DVD player and receiver with coaxial cable
Third case: Connecting them with optical cable
Fourth case: connecting with analog cable

Now please suggest which would be the best sound when I will be listening to music and why.

Thanks friends

You first 3 cases, the stereo signal is sent as digital to AVR...So all of them would sound the same....

4th Case is different as you are using a Analogue connection & hence the sound might differ...

I have heard only with HDMI and Analog medium - and you are correct, I have found analog one as in the better position in making stereo sound.
But I have not heard with coaxial and optical.
Fact is that irrespective of any medium being used, ultimately DAC is getting used in one of the ends. But I am surprised here, as I assumed AVR being little hi-fi than normal DVD player - AVR's DAC should have been better than normal DVD player. So I feed digital signal to AVR from DVD player and make the AVR to convert from digital to analog, this analog signal should have been more refined one. But in practice, it is the other way around.
Why so ??

But I am surprised here, as I assumed AVR being little hi-fi than normal DVD player - AVR's DAC should have been better than normal DVD player. So I feed digital signal to AVR from DVD player and make the AVR to convert from digital to analog, this analog signal should have been more refined one. But in practice, it is the other way around.
Why so ??

One important specification that you can easily make out from the AVR & DVD player DAC is SNR (or) S/N Ratio...

Check your DVD player & AVR S/N ratio....Obviously your AVR DAC will have higher S/N Ratio....

Generally DVD players S/N ratio is < 100db, AVR's > 100 < 110 db...Standalone CD players >110 db...

Thatz the reason CD players sound far better than DVD players....

Higher the S/N ratio, cleaner the signal output.....

Back