Why I bought Samsung 32C530 from grey market???

samysarena

Hi! Guys...As the title goes, I would like share my horrible experience in delhi, of what made me buy an lcd from grey market.

Well I started search for good tv set with good deal in samsung/sony/panasonic.

I like panasonic for the price point they offer in Fully HD and plasmas.
Samsung and sony are 3k higher to panny in fully hd.

Week 1.....went to this so called panasonic brand shop in delhi. Liked Panasonic 32S10 and 32U20 Full hd lcd. I finally made deal with dealer and when everything was finalised, I mentioned to dealer I want set factory sealed. There goes the bomb from dealer. He was trying to sell me display panel. Pissed me off I said thanks, moved on.

A week passed by....frustration of having money in pocket and not made a purchase was growing.:sad:

Week 2....went to another big dealer having panasonic, lg dealer. I asked for same panasonic full hd. Price came to 28k after one negotiation. All ok, put a term to dealer in advance that I want factory sealed unit not display piece. He said fine no issues, it would be factory sealed. Will take us 1 hr to get set from godown(stockyard). I said no issues I can wait and will take set with me in my car. ( I was sceptical that he will try to sell me some used one for sure, as it does not take 1 hr to get set from stockyard, when they have 4 storey showroom)

1 hrs passed by, sardar ji came with set. I saw box was not factory sealed. I said open it to test. Another bomb, to my utter surprise, the lcd set was full of dust in back side, wall mounts dusted and scratches etc. I told him immediately, xxxxx you I told for factory sealed and its display model.:mad:

I wonder what these dealers think of customers as fools that they can give them any carrot for full price.

So, pissed by 2 dealers of branded shops. I decided better to trust grey market guys than paying money for used display set.

So, straight from there I went to gaffar in late night a 9pm when most shops were closed, was lucky that they shop which I know was open.
I don't like sony that much personal preference, I find samsung pic quality better. So, I asked for Samsung 5 Series LCD (32C530) price quoted 27k as I had already enquired prices in past week, paid money set opened, fresh no scratches, turned on to test.
Deal done, back home with decent set Made in Malaysia it says. Happy and gay with picture quality and deal.

Moral for me better to trust grey market than so called retailers who are trying to rip you with your money. What can a warranty do if set they are trying to dump at you is already used/display panel for full price.

Please do not break the rules. VenkatCR

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^
So true, i think we need to make a sticky post or something like a blacklist of dealers who tried to cheat...

I am satisfied with ur show cause,pls list the dealers who tried to betray u mate,it will be useful to members to keep away from them.

I am satisfied with ur show cause,pls list the dealers who tried to betray u mate,it will be useful to members to keep away from them.

Sure thing buddy. Here goes the names.

Panasonic brand shop, Karol bagh (Desh bandhu gupta road, near khalsa college)

Sachdeva electronics, Jail road (electronic and furniture market)

way to go samysarena!!! That should clear the air for those of us who are skeptical of grey market products. What you said makes sense. Why pay more, and risk getting a product which might have been used, all in the name of one year warranty? when you have the option of paying less and getting a brand new product, minus a one year warranty which you will probably never need.

Last edited:
way to go samysarena!!! That should clear the air for those of us who are skeptical of grey market products. What you said makes sense. Why pay more, and risk getting a product which might have been used, all in the name of one year warranty? when you have the option of paying less and getting a brand new product, minus a one year warranty which you will probably never need.

Yes, man thats true, what can a warranty do. What I realise i that mostly these retailers are culprits as co's are sending goods fresh packed. They mess up with many innocent customers.
Common dialogs...Sir ji pay money, set is reaching your home with installer.
Don't worry we're here, all is under warranty.(hum hein na...apko chuna lagane ke liye!!)

I just read on this forum some guy bought sony 3d tv (1 lack above) from dealer with all opened package and is fighting with customer care and all.

Even I had few experience similar in Chennai and made sure the dealer replaced it. But not all dealers are this bad. I would have rather bought from a good dealer paying 30k than 27k grey.

I understand your frustration happens to all of us. IN this I am at least happy J D electronics is careful about HFV members and they ensure they get the best as they dont want to spoil their name.

My suggestion is, if in Delhi someone can do what had done with JD it will be great. The dealer will get good business and we get good service

Even I had few experience similar in Chennai and made sure the dealer replaced it. But not all dealers are this bad. I would have rather bought from a good dealer paying 30k than 27k grey.

I understand your frustration happens to all of us. IN this I am at least happy J D electronics is careful about HFV members and they ensure they get the best as they dont want to spoil their name.

My suggestion is, if in Delhi someone can do what had done with JD it will be great. The dealer will get good business and we get good service

You're right man... Its very risky to get Flat Panels without warranty. I'm sure its dead cheap man, almost 30% less. My friend got one.

There's a problem. There is not much number of components inside a flat panel when compared to CRT TV. If there is some issue, you are given 2 options.
Option 1: Replace the Main Circuit Board
Option 2: Replace the panel

That's freakin' scary man. Cause replacing any of these, is gonna cost you almost the price of the LCD you just purchased

I said "All the best!" to my friend... And i say the same to you! LOL :lol:

Well, congrats! i hope it serves you well. I thing you were not persistent enough or too impatient. A 3k amount is not worth the risk. I know in your case it was not the money but the dealer attitude.

My thoughts : Be resilient, dont let others deter you from what you want.

3k?? I believe its costlier than that if you buy it through Samsung India! Plus its made in India.

this vindicates my stand that I have taken on this forum since I bought my 3 tv's from gaffar market; but my friends here have been after my blood for having bought it under grey; I saved a cool 50-60K plus of my hard earned cash and all sets are working perfectly; I bought sony 40" bx400 for 31k (quoted price 54k in sony showroom), samsung 40" led ua40c5000 for 42k (quoted price 72k; last I heard its about 65k); and samsung 32" led ua32c5000 for 32k (quoted price 45k+);

all pieces are genuine and jan 2011 mfg; lolz... u wont get so fresh sets even in india where manufacturers mostly dump their sub-standard products compared to other markets (please dont kill me for this but exceptions may be there)

I urge people to think out of the box and challenge the conventional theories going around here about the superiority of the plasmas and see it in perspective of the price to quality ratio that you can get when you buy from grey; then people will start seeing things in a different light.... hopefully, the rational ones at least...

all these statements are posted in good faith and for spreading awareness.... why be fleeced....

I would like to clarify that most of the reuputed dealers in Delhi are selling that 32C530 for 34k or above. They are not even willing to reduce 500/-. And if someone comes up and say I got it for 30k with bill then may he's pretty lucky, because I've researched market thoroughly before buying for 27k from grey. There s 7k difference for sure on any set you buy from grey market. Dheeraj and others can easily confirm ove that.
Secondly, I dont mind if this thing die, would be just another experience. So far I've bought couple of electronics from gaffar, all are working without any fuss. Sony 5dvd changer hometheater, samsung vcd player(old now but still works), samsung LCD a week old still works ;-)

You're right man... Its very risky to get Flat Panels without warranty. I'm sure its dead cheap man, almost 30% less. My friend got one.

There's a problem. There is not much number of components inside a flat panel when compared to CRT TV. If there is some issue, you are given 2 options.
Option 1: Replace the Main Circuit Board
Option 2: Replace the panel

That's freakin' scary man. Cause replacing any of these, is gonna cost you almost the price of the LCD you just purchased

I said "All the best!" to my friend... And i say the same to you! LOL :lol:

Thanks for your wishes.:D I'm damn sure it will survive 1 year so called warranty test.:p

Well, congrats! i hope it serves you well. I thing you were not persistent enough or too impatient. A 3k amount is not worth the risk. I know in your case it was not the money but the dealer attitude.

My thoughts : Be resilient, dont let others deter you from what you want.

Thanks for suggestions, I know what I want. Anyways, its just like that I trust unknown grey market guys more than any friendly sugarcoating dealer.

There is 7k difference at least in best prices. Yes, if you know someone have good contacts then you can get good offers. For masses, I believe there is not much scope of getting it below 34k.

this vindicates my stand that I have taken on this forum since I bought my 3 tv's from gaffar market; but my friends here have been after my blood for having bought it under grey; I saved a cool 50-60K plus of my hard earned cash and all sets are working perfectly; I bought sony 40" bx400 for 31k (quoted price 54k in sony showroom), samsung 40" led ua40c5000 for 42k (quoted price 72k; last I heard its about 65k); and samsung 32" led ua32c5000 for 32k (quoted price 45k+);

all pieces are genuine and jan 2011 mfg; lolz... u wont get so fresh sets even in india where manufacturers mostly dump their sub-standard products compared to other markets (please dont kill me for this but exceptions may be there)

I urge people to think out of the box and challenge the conventional theories going around here about the superiority of the plasmas and see it in perspective of the price to quality ratio that you can get when you buy from grey; then people will start seeing things in a different light.... hopefully, the rational ones at least...

all these statements are posted in good faith and for spreading awareness.... why be fleeced....

Dont take this personal buddy we are not baying for your blood, just a rational discussion. While you have been lucky in your smuggled purchases, there are equally disappointed people out there as well whose products stopped working out of the blue and then had to cough up huge amount on repairs or at times just dump it.

Also the theory that Plasma's are superior is not conventional, but your theory that Palsma's are dead and no good is infact conventional, think about it.

Just because you got your set at a low price in Grey market doesn't mean that's the route for everyone out here to take. Purchases from Grey market is not an option for everyone, but the feeling that its better to take from a Grey market is understandable considering only one factor the price difference about a product being used or unused depends on the situation. In the end that's not the solution, we need to take it up with the companies to ensure that as legitimate customers we get a fair deal for the product we have purchased.

Out of box thinking is fine, as long as its legitimate ;)

Dont take this personal buddy we are not baying for your blood, just a rational discussion. While you have been lucky in your smuggled purchases, there are equally disappointed people out there as well whose products stopped working out of the blue and then had to cough up huge amount on repairs or at times just dump it.

Also the theory that Plasma's are superior is not conventional, but your theory that Palsma's are dead and no good is infact conventional, think about it.

Just because you got your set at a low price in Grey market doesn't mean that's the route for everyone out here to take. Purchases from Grey market is not an option for everyone, but the feeling that its better to take from a Grey market is understandable considering only one factor the price difference about a product being used or unused depends on the situation. In the end that's not the solution, we need to take it up with the companies to ensure that as legitimate customers we get a fair deal for the product we have purchased.

Out of box thinking is fine, as long as its legitimate ;)

I would like to clarify certain things:

All grey mkt pieces are not Smuggled/illegal pieces!

I have seen ppl in kol travelling every alternate day buying lcd/led/electronics coming to india clear the Customs and then sell it for a some decent profit. I went to bangkok and met a lot of such ppl, they even offered to buy the electronic of our choice, give them the model no. they will go to Big C mall or other mall in BKK and call u bak with the price details n once confirmed they will purchase it for you! in that case u get sony international warranty.

But, talking of exp my fren bought a sony lcd40" for 75k frm grey in mum when mkt price was 91k...it ran fine for 1.5yrs then his HDMIs port went dead and he had no option but to replace the whole circuit for which he was quoted 15-20k...

but then sony india also gives a years of warranty...so its more of a luck thing and anything else...

cheers

Last edited:
I don't see whats the harm in buying from grey. Few years back we all bought cell phones from grey, didn't we ?

Good manufacturers have very low defect rate. If you buy grey or white there is a minor chance that there might be a failure. So buddy, you played with chance, the risk..minor chance of losing 27k...the reward..immediate savings of 7k...would i play the game ? I would :)

"You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair." - Two Face in The Dark Knight

Cud anyone suggest for any trustable shop in Gaffar . I have visited Singh electronics(gaffar) on sunday and they were quoting rs 28K for 32ex400 sony .:clapping:

Any idea about best Price of samsung 40c530 in Gaffar ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back