Why no private channel comes close to Doordarshan for documentaries

arnprasad

for those of us who are 30+, am sure most have fond memories of watching DD. Folks outside of Metro only had one channel to enjoy whereas our metro friends had two.

After the entry of cable TV in 1990 most of us have stopped watching DD except of course in situations where they got exclusive rights - say for some sports events.

Although the private channels are well packaged, when it comes to doing some serious documentary type programs there is no parallel to DD. I sincerely hope and pray that it falls into some good hands and will eventually become like BBC.

The reason for this senti writeup is a program I just watched from 6-7pm on DD one - by accident. It was called good evening India I think and todays topic was about usage of classical music in Hindi film music. This has been a favorite subject for many programs - however this one stood out for many reasons - just reinforcing that no private channel come even close to quality programs which involves some serious research. Here are the reasons why:

(1) It was a one hour program with no breaks
(2) The anchor was very knowledgeable about the ragas and the guests - a lady classical singer and a film director - both were extremely knowledgeable
(3) The program was very well researched and the songs that were played were very apt - in fact a song was played every 5 mins and the entire song was played for viewers to appreciate it
(4) Not sure if the songs were from DD archives - but the video - all black and white were of top notch quality
(5) the lady's singing was of exceptional quality - sometimes makes you wonder if its fair that only few singers take away all the credit whereas many other better singers are not even in the picture
(6) the director whose dad was a script writer during the golden era had the right kind of stories about these songs

All in all - a very well researched and presented program and I got to hear some songs after a long long time.

Here is how the private channel programs on filmi music stack up:

(1) most of these programs are fillers for the weekends because their star anchors need a break after five days of non stop breaking news
(2) 20% of the screen at the bottom is filled with tickers and even on top they have something or the other - meaning the actual footage is only 60-70% of the screen
(3) None of the videos are of rare quality and they always play the famous ones which we would have heard and seen a million times already
(4) In most of these programs - they do not even have an anchor - just a voice over
(5) A 30 minute program with delayed start, early end and post ads - is only of 20 minute duration - try explaining Naushad's entire life in that time!!!:mad:
(6) worst of all - most of these videos are nicked from youtube or from DVDs and VCDs - and these folks digitally take out the video companiys name on the top right or left corner of the screen - shameless and may even violate copy rights

Just my two cents - would appreciate comments from like minded folks:clapping:

Many like minded folks, me for sure!

I love the DD documentaries on NE tribes or rest of India, archeology and travel documentaries etc. In the last documentary I saw about spots in Odisha, the camera actually panned the entire length of a waterfall in the same unhurried manner as we would as visitors try to stand, stare and soak in the sight of water gushing, and be transported into the beauty of experiencing it all. No dhin-chak dhin-chak background music, just sitar flute or santoor, quiet, steady, no hurry to get anywhere, Shaaaanti ... just the way I like it. :)

Yeah I watch the interviews with singers and other personalities as well when I chance upon them. Love them for the exact reasons you described above :)

While all other channels are usually screaming an unconscious message - "whatever you are doing - drop it! its not worth it. If you are sitting on your couch and watching this, you must be worthless. Everybody else is so smart to be traveling, doing what not ..." :mad: To contrast, the mood of DD programs is the epitome of just taking satisfaction at whatever one is doing right now - "No problem. Just sit back and relax. Shanti, may peace be with you" :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Last edited:
I left watching TV channels long time back.

I do remember some good programs on Doordarshan. I can't seem to remember anything worthwhile from the private channels.

Many like minded folks, me for sure!

Shanti, may peace be with you" :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Completely agree with you. I just hope they recruit more professional folks and use professional equipment with professional operators. If needed they can tax us like the UK Government does for BBC - provided they produce some quality programs

Till a few weeks back on Sundays between 9 and 10pm DD Podhigai(the tamil one) had a documentary on carnatic classical. It was awesome mainly on account of the archived songs they played. Included the who is who of carnatic music - mostly past. The songs were played in full and the presenters were very learned and to the point. Must check again this sunday. DD must be having a treasure in their archives. Hope they keep it safe!!!

The reason is obvious - most people don't care for such programs and private channels live on advertisements. But I am glad that they keep up the slow pace, just the way I like.

The reason is simple. The times were like that. Things were not done the fast food way but with passion. They used the best talent available, did not pay much attention to commercial considerations and wanted to do justice to the task in hand.
It was lovely to see some of these old ones come up on their youtube channel.

Its the same case with sports also. dd sports show real sports while the others are busy showing retelecast of some junk ODI cricket matches or whatever the latest money spinner is.

Back