Will a DAC help improve SQ from Ipod

vraned

Fellas,

I am a big user of digital music (spotify, internet radio, CDs ripped as lossless files on ipod etc.,), and that list is going to continue to grow. I currently connect the iPod using the 3.5mm jack to either my amp or my Bose wave music system.

How can I improve SQ of playback? Give my setup (see signature below), is a DAC with USB input the best way to go, if yes, which one - M1, Peachtree iDAC, CA DACmagic?? If not, what are the other alternatives?

Thanks.

Yep, a good DAC is what the doctor would recommend to complete your digital music set up.
The peachtree idac, hrt istreamer etc would do the job. I think there is a product called isound or something, which is a 100 odd USD which takes a pure digital out from the ipod, you can use that with a good DAC in your stereo chain.

EDIT: Sorry its not isound. What I meant was you can use Pure i20to get digital out from ipod and then connect it to a dac. It costs around 100$.

Last edited:
Thanks. Any thoughts about DACs that can also double up as a DAC for my CDP (maybe use it as a transport)? I'm still wondering if I should go for a DAC just for the iPOD or a general one that can be used across devices.

Who deals with Peachtree in Bangalore? Any idea of the costs?

No idea........I'm assuming you would use a cable to connect the 30-pin socket on the iPOD to the asynchronous USB input on the DAC???? If there's such a cable available?

What you need is the Arcam rDac kw and the wireless attachment for ipod. You connect you BDP through this DAC and use Ipod through the wireless dongle... This way you control the ipod through the good ipod interface and send lossless music digitally to the rdac for conversion..... It is priced at 36000/- approx.

@iaudio-come on genius even I've been looking for similiar thing so help us out here!I tried using fiio headphone amp guess fl?and the gecko 3.5m into the ipod and it sounded recessed!

@vraned - I am sure the Onkyo 609 has inbuilt ipod digital connectivity! Have you tried that... you can even control ipod though its remote

metalmickey,

What about the Pure i20 and a budget dac?

Amazon.com: PURE i-20 Digital Dock for iPod/iPhone with Hi-Fi Quality Audio and Video Output: MP3 Players & Accessories

41c53rk2YGL._SS400_.jpg

Thanks guys.

@ aashish - I have tried the Onkyo option (using the USB port in the front) but not satisfied with the SQ. The Arcam option is too cumbersome and expensive (I'm not sure about SQ when streamed wireless).
@vraned - I am sure the Onkyo 609 has inbuilt ipod digital connectivity! Have you tried that... you can even control ipod though its remote

in my discussion with Vinnie from Red Wine Audio - he recommended wadia Itransport as dock which can be connected to a Dac of your choice.. wadia products are available on discounts at musicdirect.com...it's a cool piece of equipment...

i dont have much exposure in DAC arena..

EDIT: you may also want to check out Balus sales thread. he has lot of interesting thing for sale, of which, one is eastern electric's DAC which is quite favorably reviewed all over the internet. lucky for you he is based in bangalore...so you could audition them

Last edited:
in my discussion with Vinnie from Red Wine Audio - he recommended wadia Itransport as dock which can be connected to a Dac of your choice.. wadia products are available on discounts at musicdirect.com...it's a cool piece of equipment...

WAdia iTransport is the way to go.. the key thing would be to get digital out from iPod else it is all waste. But you still need a dac as well to connect from WAdia ..
so it would be iPod > Wadia itransport > Dac > Amp..

Or you could use the wadia digital out to directly use in built dac of your Receiver.. ( not the ideal solution ) but would work if on a budget.

The reviews of Wadia all point to it approaching CD quality never besting it. Even with a $1200 DAC. Google for some ideas.
Must be the SMPS in the transport.

--G

Thats why i feel cheaper option like Pure i20 which can get digital out is safer to try ipod digital out with dac.

I purchased the HRT iStreamer and hooked it up to my PM6004. While not "CD quality" there is a definite improvement in SQ from the iPod now (most of my songs are in apple lossless format and through Spotify/Twaang). Have to switch off "source direct" though.....

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back