will be going in for Lyrita Audio

prem

Thanks to Jaibir, i have been listening to Lyrita Audio 2A3 integrated amp in my set up. This was supposed to be a stop gap arrangement till my Dave Slagle autoformer and First Watt Sit amp came. The autoformer is on the way but the Sit amp has been delayed. I have also been having second thoughts about the Sit amp. Also i have been pretty impressed with the 2A3 amp. I feel it has a lot of potential, especially if used with better transformers. Hence will now be going with Virens Lyrita Audio 2A3 power amp. The amp will use Dave Slagles 80% nickel output transformers and 49% nickel interstage transformers.

Initially will try with just Dave Slagles autoformer. In case it sounds thin will go for Virens DHT pre with Slagles autoformer as vol control.

Thanks again Jaibir for letting me borrow your Lyrita Audio 2A3. Truly appreciate your gesture. BTW i have also borrowed his miniwatt amp.

Prem, Viren's 2A3 SET sure sounds lovely! Glad to know you are going for it. How was the Miniwatt by the way? It created a stir 2-3 years back, iirc.

Hi iaudio

The Miniwatt is a very clean sounding amp. Its quite transparent. However I did not enjoy it much on my Rethms as it sounded thin. With speakers like Zu it should be a very good match.

Sounds wonderful!

off topic: will the real jaibir please stand up :) (please PM if you are reading this.. thanks!)

Hi,

Initially will try with just Dave Slagles autoformer. In case it sounds thin will go for Virens DHT pre with Slagles autoformer as vol control.

Prem,the combination of the Lyrita 2A3 configured as a power amp,( i.e. with the input stage removed and the 6e5p tubes as drivers) and the DHT pre is a big step up from the Lyrita 2A3 integreted.

My suggestion would be for you to go for this combination with the Slagle autoformer as the volume control in the DHT pre.

Try this combination out before you buy the Dave Slagle transformers.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

whats the difference between the two xformers?

Better core material.

Viren uses the best cores available in India,but the nickel cores used by Slagle are better.

Regards
Rajiv

Congrats Prem, this is good to hear. I tried Stevieboy's Lyrita 2A3 with
45 tubes on my Altecs and was quite impressed. I am just waiting for Stevie's DHT and 2A3 to arrive before I pull the trigger :).

EDIT: I just saw on the other thread that Steve's amp has landed :clapping:.

Would be interested to know how the transformer and volume control mods turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Rajiv

I spoke to Viren. For one of his clients, he had used Hashimoto transformer and he felt it sounded more open. So i thought might as well go for a transformer upgrade. To be honest i do not know how much of an upgrade it would be. It costs a bomb but in other forums i have read that a transformer makes a huge difference.

A good idea Prem. I've wanted to get upgraded transformers but would be a bit too much right now for me. Am sure there will be sonic differences the way they are in mc step up transformers. I'd second Rajiv, I'll put in my quick impressions of the change from the integrated 2a3 to the DHT power combo in some hours.

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Will look forward to your impressions, Stevieboy. Am sure the Power pre combo will be a huge step up over the integrated.

From Rethm to First Watt to Lyrita...speaks volumes about Viren's sound :clapping:

Are you planning to use the Autoformer with the 2A3 as Power?

Hi Soulforged

I have never used a low powered SET ever. The Rethm Gaanam amps are excellent but they are not the conventional SET. I am a little scared the SIT would make the Rethms sound thin. Hence change of mind.

Will be using the autoformer with Virens 2A3 as a power amp. Still undecided whether to go for the DHT pre or not?

Hi,

I spoke to Viren. For one of his clients, he had used Hashimoto transformer and he felt it sounded more open. So i thought might as well go for a transformer upgrade. To be honest i do not know how much of an upgrade it would be. It costs a bomb but in other forums i have read that a transformer makes a huge difference.

Prem,after our telephone conversations I too have been thinking about transformer upgrades.

I spoke to Viren about this and he told me about the Hashimoto transformers used in one of his amps.He has also used Lundhal for another customer.

Viren feels that the transformers bring out a little more low level detail and slightly better clarity.He suggested Hashimoto or the Slagle transformers,if I wanted to try different transformers.

Are they worth the price? This is the million $ question I have been grappling with ever since you planted the idea of upgrading the transformers in the Lyrita amps.:)

Am sure the Power pre combo will be a huge step up over the integrated.

It sure is.The improvement in sound quality is night and day.

Still undecided whether to go for the DHT pre or not?

Prem trust me,the DHT pre is a must have.

The 4P1L is a real sleeper tube. Quite popular in Russian high end circles,but not common in the west/far east.A lot of the Russian tubes are only now being discovered.The 5u4c Russian rectifier used by Viren in the DHT pre is another sleeper tube. The combination of the 5U4C rectifier and the 4P1L tubes is magical. I have tried various rectifiers in the DHT pre but none come close to this combination.

4P1L DHT Line Stage - diyAudio

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv

The interstage transformers and the output transformers cost much more than Virens set up. Even i am a little confused.

Also i have enough gain coming from my EMT, 1v to 10v. Would i need a active pre in between. If there was not enough gain, then the DHT pre would be a no brainer. But i do understand that sometimes synergy works better. What would you suggest?

Prem gotta get it. No two ways bout it. Sounds like a whole new set up from the first song. More enveloping, am hearing more. Playing a ventures lp rip Anil had done and then sent me me a copy. Sounds fuller more fleshed out than the integrated SET. Now excuse me while I go grin stupidly at my system :)))))

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back