Will it work ? Sony AVR from USA with Sony TV from India through HDMI ARC

Hi everyone, I have joined the forum recently. I have a question and needed opinion of you all.
I had a denon 1612 (Indian 220v supply) paired with Energy Take classic 5.1 speakers which I got from US (subwoofer supply 220v stepped down to 110v) since 2013. Now the denon has gone bad. I had got it repaired once after 6 yrs use then kept it wrapped and packed since my kids were fiddling with it. Opened it now after 2 years and after 3 days it just gave way. Repair cost another 7k so I decided not to get it repaired instead buy a new and better AV Reciever.
Now to the question.
I have homed on two budget AVRs based on reviews. One thing is sure iam not buying denon now. So the final two are Sony str DH590 and Yamaha HTR 3072 or maybe recently launched RX V4a. Sony avr not available in india and I'll have to get from us. Say I buy it, then my home theatre set up will have a TV working at 220v , AV Reciever at 220 v stepped down to 120 v and subwoofer at 220v stepped down to 120. There will be a ps4 routed through the avr and avr connected to tv through hdmi ARC. No other set top box connected as I use streaming services. So, will this mix and match of voltages affect sound quality cos after all they are all electrical signals ? Also, do I need to keep the warranty or service centre information handy for tv or avr cos I don't know it might burst into flames...just saying...
Other option is to buy yamaha from India but obviously it's costly presently

So, will this mix and match of voltages affect sound quality cos after all they are all electrical signals
Usually not much an issue as AC will be converted into DC which is mostly similar for that particular system.As long as its converting perfectly, there shouldn't be a much problem.

Usually not much an issue as AC will be converted into DC which is mostly similar for that particular system.As long as its converting perfectly, there shouldn't be a much problem.
Thanks . What about the frequency. US is 60 Hz whereas we are 50 Hz. With subwoofer it was not an issue but iam apprehensive about the reciever. Will it still be ok ? Also any specific brand transformer do you recommend?

My understanding - all Indian TVs are multi system. US TVs , AVRs etc only handle NTSC.
The TV will be able to display the menu screen of the AVR.

However, when you feed a PAL signal into the AVR (say from a Tata Sky set top box), will the AVR handle it ? No idea.

Safer to buy an AVR in India.

My understanding - all Indian TVs are multi system. US TVs , AVRs etc only handle NTSC.
The TV will be able to display the menu screen of the AVR.

However, when you feed a PAL signal into the AVR (say from a Tata Sky set top box), will the AVR handle it ? No idea.

Safer to buy an AVR in India.
Thank you !!

Check if your TV can handle 110volt. Then buy a 2kva step down transformer with stabiliser and make all on the same level.

Maxine is good brand in step down transformer. Now many brands have started making due to the sudden increase in 110volt oxygen concentrator

Thank you for all your advise. I think yamaha will be a safer bet. So a smaller doubt. Have homed on to yamaha Rx v385/htr 3072 and yamaha Rx v4a. Latter is 15k more expensive. Main difference I could point out is it has wifi. But it's still a fairly newcomer being launched in 2020 and has around 400 reviews with overall 4.3/5, whereas rx v385/ htr 3072 launched in 2018 has more than 1.5k reviews with overall 4.6/5 . Now I don't really forsee myself getting into dolby atmos ceiling speakers etc. Neither do I presently think I am going to use its Musiccast ability. Have a ps4 but don't really need hdmi 2.1 for next 6-7 years. My Sony TV is latest model x90h 4k. So my query was regarding :-
1. sound quality comparison of rx v385/htr 3072 vs rx v4a/ rx v485.
2. if wifi has some great advantages over a non wifi reciever.
3. Rx v385 has basic YPAO whereas Rx v4a has YPAO with RSC. So is there a great difference or basic YPAO calibrates well enough. Had denon earlier so have experience of Audyssey which measured 6 points and gave great results but YPAO in both receievers here has only single point measurement.
4. Rx v385 has 70 watts per channel while Rx v4a has 80 watts. Will it matter for my room size 10 ft x12 ft, height 10 ft.

Finally, Rx v385 is 15k cheaper and has Bluetooth with compressed audio enhancer. But read in a few places that it gets hot.
So needed some reviews and advice from people who have heard or own Yamaha Rx v385/ Yamaha HTR 3072 or Yamaha Rx v4a / v485 to arrive at the best decision.
Waiting eagerly for some suggestions. Thank you

Last edited:
Yamaha 3072 will suit your requirements. If you want to be future proof you can go for v4a.
Since you had already used Denon your sound signature would be tuned to Denon. So better audition Yamaha before buying.

I have homed on two budget AVRs based on reviews.
Avoid that particular Sony like the plague. The only Sony AVR worth looking at is the STR-DN1080, which I assume is well over your budget and may not be available in India. It is a serious mid tier AV receiver though.

I would not bother with the whole 110 volt bit. Just buy something in India. The v4a would be my pick from your selection. It is a current model.

Hi everyone, I have joined the forum recently. I have a question and needed opinion of you all.
I had a denon 1612 (Indian 220v supply) paired with Energy Take classic 5.1 speakers which I got from US (subwoofer supply 220v stepped down to 110v) since 2013. Now the denon has gone bad. I had got it repaired once after 6 yrs use then kept it wrapped and packed since my kids were fiddling with it. Opened it now after 2 years and after 3 days it just gave way. Repair cost another 7k so I decided not to get it repaired instead buy a new and better AV Reciever.
Now to the question.
I have homed on two budget AVRs based on reviews. One thing is sure iam not buying denon now. So the final two are Sony str DH590 and Yamaha HTR 3072 or maybe recently launched RX V4a. Sony avr not available in india and I'll have to get from us. Say I buy it, then my home theatre set up will have a TV working at 220v , AV Reciever at 220 v stepped down to 120 v and subwoofer at 220v stepped down to 120. There will be a ps4 routed through the avr and avr connected to tv through hdmi ARC. No other set top box connected as I use streaming services. So, will this mix and match of voltages affect sound quality cos after all they are all electrical signals ? Also, do I need to keep the warranty or service centre information handy for tv or avr cos I don't know it might burst into flames...just saying...
Other option is to buy yamaha from India but obviously it's costly presently
There wont be any issues with mix of the items you mentioned. I would also suggest you to get the str dn1080 for better sound

Sony 50W800C HDMI ARC IN <--- STR DN1050 HDMI OUT ARC.

TV bought in India and the avr was directly imported from the US through amazon 110V and connected with a stepdown transformer which again bought in india. Only the avr is 110v and rest are all 230v

Sony 50W800C HDMI ARC IN <--- STR DN1050 HDMI OUT ARC.

TV bought in India and the avr was directly imported from the US through amazon 110V and connected with a stepdown transformer which again bought in india. Only the avr is 110v and rest are all 230v
So no problems then. Thank you for the insight. Last few queries ...
1. how long were you able to use this mixed set up without any issue?
2. when the issue did occur , was it with the sony TV or with the Sony avr? What was revealed as the main cause of the defect? Did it have anything to do with the supplies?
3. If it was with Sony avr, were u able to get it repaired in India (since sony does not launch its avr in india) ?
4. How long did the mixed set up last post repair ? Or Is it still running ?
5. Sony avr vs Yamaha Avr. In case you have used or heard both, Any suggestions?

Last edited:
So no problems then. Thank you for the insight. Last few queries ...
1. how long were you able to use this mixed set up without any issue? -- 4 years from the date of purchase
2. when the issue did occur , was it with the sony TV or with the Sony avr? What was revealed as the main cause of the defect? Did it have anything to do with the supplies? -- The issue occurred twice, first time it was my mistake, I directly connected the AVR with 220v without stepdown, 2nd time when I tried connecting a DIY sub which sent direct DC back to the avr through LFE cable.
3. If it was with Sony avr, were u able to get it repaired in India (since sony does not launch its avr in india) ? --> Got it repaired in hyderabad authorised sony service center. they ordered the exact power transformer from the US and fixed it
4. How long did the mixed set up last post repair ? Or Is it still running ? --> Again it ran for 4 years until the DIY sub connected
5. Sony avr vs Yamaha Avr. In case you have used or heard both, Any suggestions? --> The non aventage will almost sound the same except the different signature in sound, sony sounded superb in stereo compored a few AVRs (Entry level of the similar price range)
Answered in BOLD

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back