Will this make a good Digital Music Source

ukjeyaraj

Since last year, i started re-collecting songs in FLAC format, and now it has come to a considerable size. Music setup is going to be dedicated and no video in this setup. However I need display purely for seeing metadata and using/maintaining play lists. Following options are considered

1) Logitech STB

Initially thought of purchasing Logitech Squeezebox touch. But read negative feedback about its capability in playing FLAC files, and handling USB devices. Also I was doubtful about the sound quality it can produce through its analog output. If someone can throw light on this, I may still go for Logitech STB.

2) Netbook + External Sound Card

To use a netbook with external soundcard like Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro | Creative Labs Online Store. Only concern here is time to boot netbook and capability of netbooks in handling loseless format files(I have admit here, i have never used netbooks). Also would like to know if Windows MCE is available for netbook, or any alternate light user friendly interface to make the netbook work like a media player. I already have remote for MCE.

Any other options also please suggest.

IIRC, FM jaudere is using the second option of netbook+creative 5.1 usb card. There are netbooks that support fullhd playback. So playback of FLAC won't be a problem. Since you will use it purely for music, I think you can consider a good USB DAC instead of the sound blaster.

For faster bootup, you can set the OS to hibernate instead of shutdown. My laptop starts in just 10 seconds from hibernation. If you have MCE remote, then use XBMC as the front end to get the feel of a media player. You can install either a Linux live version of XBMC or as an app in Windows. If Windows is used then XBMC can be set load directly without showing the desktop, thus decreasing the load time considerably.

IIRC, FM jaudere is using the second option of netbook+creative 5.1 usb card. There are netbooks that support fullhd playback. So playback of FLAC won't be a problem. Since you will use it purely for music, I think you can consider a good USB DAC instead of the sound blaster.

For faster bootup, you can set the OS to hibernate instead of shutdown. My laptop starts in just 10 seconds from hibernation. If you have MCE remote, then use XBMC as the front end to get the feel of a media player. You can install either a Linux live version of XBMC or as an app in Windows. If Windows is used then XBMC can be set load directly without showing the desktop, thus decreasing the load time considerably.

I am already using XBMC(strictly for movies) in my HTPC+projector setup and very happy with that. Will it be to heavy for netbook? Have never seen the music playlist features of xbmc - will try with few files in HTPC today.

Creative sound card which i have mentioned in the first post is available for $85 delivered at home with all inclusive from amazon.com. It does not require separate power supply. Also it comes with a remote, which I can use, in case I decide not to use MCE remote.

Is there any USB DAC available in the price range of this creative external sound card and gives better sound than this? If so please suggest.

Music playlist functionality of XBMC is very limited. If you like mediamonkey then use it as your player. You can control media monkey using mce remote.

Thanks baiju.

I have media monkey, which until now I use only for MP3 ID3 TAG editing. I will try and use media monkey as a player(though it does not give the feel of media center)

Can you suggest some good USB DAC?

The price of Creative Sound blaster is only Rs.1000 more comparing to Asus Xonar U3, but going by spec, Creative sound blaster has more connectivity, remote and better sampling frequency. Do I miss anything?

Is Asus Xonar U3 an USB DAC?

I do not have a touch, I have a Duet, which I do not use very often. However, I maintain the interest in the Squeezebox concept and range. I do not see why there should be any problem playing FLAC files --- and most SBT owners here that use the analogue output, seem to like its sound.

My message about Squeezboxes, is that their prime purpose is wifi connection to your computer source. If you can cable direct, and do not mind being tied by that cable connection, then I would go for that, either with a good USB DAC or USB Sound card. Unless you already have a high-end DAC, I do not see the point in buying a sound card for its digital out.

If you already have the DAC, buy a sound card (audio interface: obviously, for a laptop or netbook, this is an external thing) for its digital out. If you do not have a DAC, buy a sound card with a good analogue out --- or buy a USB DAC.

DAC lovers are all over this forum, you'll get plenty of advice. I don't have one.

(But if I was to buy one, I might be tempted by the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.

@George -- I just read about problem of SBT in handling FLAC files from online reviews, check the first review here. I find SBT to be more convenient solution. I am more than happy, if someone already owning SBT can vouch for its capability in handling FLAC files. Another major complaint on SBT in the online reviews was about problem in handling USB HDD that does not have separate power source. Any thought on this?

@Thad -- I dont have any DAC currently. I am not interested in digital out also. I dont mind being tied with cable in connecting SBT to network. My network devices are going to be in the same rack where audio system will be setup.

Be SBT or netbook, if both requires DAC for better audio, is netbook not the better choice, due to possibility of handling any formats coming in future too? Ofcourse in netbook we need to tweak it to get a better interface and remote support

^^^
I use a SBT with a 2TB HDD. It has over 1.4 TB of FLAC & 20 GB of 320 KBPS mp3. The SBT does great with FLAC. No issues whatsoever.

You would need a HDD with external power source.

I love my SBT for the convenience.

I currently use it with Cambridge Audio DAC Magic... The Sq with it has improved mainly in the LF. You can use it without any DAC at all IMHO... I feel that had I spent on a better DAC (think upwards of $2k) I would have had better results.

In short. As of now use the SBT without any DAC. The Dacmagic or any cheap sub $1k DAC will not imrpove the sound too much.

The onboard DAC of the SBT is fairly decent.

I havent heard of the problem that SB products have playing flac files-I have been doing it with the SB Classic Touch and have never had a problem so far.
I think that FLAC is one of SB's native formats, ie, the compressed data is transmitted over the net, and uncompressed byt the SB itself. The only problems with SBT have been with access to USB-connected HDDs*
My message about Squeezboxes, is that their prime purpose is wifi connection to your computer source.

but

^^^
I use a SBT with a 2TB HDD. It has over 1.4 TB of FLAC & 20 GB of 320 KBPS mp3. The SBT does great with FLAC. No issues whatsoever.

*Many are using them primarily as media servers

@George -- I just read about problem of SBT in handling FLAC files from online reviews...
Absolutely no intrinsic problem with SBes and FLAC
problem in handling USB HDD that does not have separate power source. Any thought on this?
It seems you should use an external HDD with its own power supply.
@Thad -- I dont have any DAC currently. I am not interested in digital out also. I dont mind being tied with cable in connecting SBT to network. My network devices are going to be in the same rack where audio system will be setup.
I had the idea you already had a netbook, now I understand that either netwbook or SBT would be a new purchase.

Be SBT or netbook, if both requires DAC for better audio, is netbook not the better choice, due to possibility of handling any formats coming in future too?
A netbook is going to require some sort of USB interface. Analogue-out from any PC built-in, whatever the size or format, is very unlikely to be better than analogue-out from the SB. Do not worry about future formats: are you going to convert your entire music collection, even if they do happen? Anyway, SB upgrades will be just as likely to handle them.
Of course in netbook we need to tweak it to get a better interface and remote support
Squeezebox is a Linux-based, open-source, product. If you want to tweak, you can!

My vote: go for the SBT with an own-power-supply HDD. You will get very decent sound from its analogue out, and you will have the option to add an external DAC, limited only by your budget, at any time in the future.

I believe it will look nicer too and be simpler to use. You will not have a keyboard to fill with dust; you will have the advantage of the remote; you may even be able to control it from your phone!

Last edited:
Jeyraj

You are correct-SB doesnt handle all formats. I have a Popcorn Hour A 200 that does, so I know!

I dont use a Netbook personally since all my audio files are stored on a NAS and accessed vai ethernet or through wifi using my SB-but I wanted that solution and it works well for me.

Cheers

George

Thanks to malvai, Thad_E_Ginathom and George. I will be using audio files from NAS. So, I think the problem in handling USB HDD without power supply does not matter much to me. I hope it can work with small pen drives upto 32GB without any issue for occasional listening.

@Thad_E_Ginathom -- Thanks for the detailed reply. I was not knowing that STB is linux based. In that case, I will be able to tweak that, only if required.

Whether STB support UTF fonts. I mean can I see the metadata of the songs in Indian Languages.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back