Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04

cha_indian

Recently i installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Win 7 machine and i am amazed by Ubuntu's performance. It boots quickly, can do all the tasks that Windows can do and it is rock solid and it is FREE !! You don't need antivirus at all on Ubuntu. I suggest everbody to install Ubuntu 12.04 as dual boot on your existing machines and judge. -----Cheers!

Recently i installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Win 7 machine and i am amazed by Ubuntu's performance. It boots quickly, can do all the tasks that Windows can do and it is rock solid and it is FREE !! You don't need antivirus at all on Ubuntu. I suggest everbody to install Ubuntu 12.04 as dual boot on your existing machines and judge. -----Cheers!

I find windows 7 frustrating to use on my HTPC. Terrible booting time, application load time. However, no itunes or monkeymedia on Linux. Any advice on a sophisticated media player which supports ASIO and allows you to manage the music library?

The other practical problem is getting a replacement to Windows Media Center (getting channel list for Tata Sky, etc)

Maybe another thread on getting equivalent for popular commonly used applications on Windows can help newbies like me who swear by the superior quality of OS like Linux and MacOS

Last edited:
I have been using 10.04 and 11.04 for a while now. I still have a Windows XP boot partition, but it is almost never used. Easier to start a copy of WinXP in a Virtual Machine under Ubuntu! I am afraid that Ubuntu, having come with a Win/Mac-slaying interface at 10.04 has lost the way: rather than building on, and refining this, they decided that everything now has to look like a cross between a toy and a phone.

However, Linux is a world of choice, and, even among the Ubuntu derivatives, there should be a look-and-feel to suit everybody.

Please do not fall into the trap of overconfidence re security. It is true that, going back to its ancestor Unix, which was mature before Windows was born, the model is secure, whereas for Microsoft it has been an afterthought --- but one should still take care, and one should run anti-virus software. Clam-av is there: I don't know about competitors for Linux. Obviously it is not such a big market.

I can't advise on sophisticated media players, due to a personal preference for the unsophisticated ones! Whilst that began in the days when processing power was less, and I couldn't see the point in wasting it on graphics when playing music, I also have a relatively small digital collection, and don't feel the need for any database other than the basic folders/files structure of the OS.

One of the luxuries of Windows is hardware support. If it plugs into a PC, windows will support it, or its manufacturers will supply the drivers. These days, there is an enormous amount of support within Linux too, but it is always wise to check before spending money.

I have installed xbmc on Ubuntu and the media player is as good as it gets. Infact there is a special xbmc customized Ubuntu 12.04 specially created for HTPC. Since we are all used to Windows, it is better to install Ubuntu as dual boot and then see the difference. You can get every possible alternative to Windows applications on Ubuntu Software Centre.

I have been using 10.04 and 11.04 for a while now. I still have a Windows XP boot partition, but it is almost never used. Easier to start a copy of WinXP in a Virtual Machine under Ubuntu! I am afraid that Ubuntu, having come with a Win/Mac-slaying interface at 10.04 has lost the way: rather than building on, and refining this, they decided that everything now has to look like a cross between a toy and a phone.

However, Linux is a world of choice, and, even among the Ubuntu derivatives, there should be a look-and-feel to suit everybody.

Please do not fall into the trap of overconfidence re security. It is true that, going back to its ancestor Unix, which was mature before Windows was born, the model is secure, whereas for Microsoft it has been an afterthought --- but one should still take care, and one should run anti-virus software. Clam-av is there: I don't know about competitors for Linux. Obviously it is not such a big market.

I can't advise on sophisticated media players, due to a personal preference for the unsophisticated ones! Whilst that began in the days when processing power was less, and I couldn't see the point in wasting it on graphics when playing music, I also have a relatively small digital collection, and don't feel the need for any database other than the basic folders/files structure of the OS.

One of the luxuries of Windows is hardware support. If it plugs into a PC, windows will support it, or its manufacturers will supply the drivers. These days, there is an enormous amount of support within Linux too, but it is always wise to check before spending money.

Thanks Thad for cautioning on security aspects of Ubuntu. Any suggestions for Antivirus for Ubuntu ? I used to have Avast on 11.10 but after upgrade the antivirus has crashed and now i can't remove nor install a fresh copy.

I can't advise on sophisticated media players, due to a personal preference for the unsophisticated ones! Whilst that began in the days when processing power was less, and I couldn't see the point in wasting it on graphics when playing music, I also have a relatively small digital collection, and don't feel the need for any database other than the basic folders/files structure of the OS..

I should have been more clear. By sophistication I meant search and smart playlist feature. Maybe amarok will satisfy the need and I need to spend some time on it. Amarok can use a db like MySQL to maintain a large collection. I have a very large collection of very old Hindi songs from 1930s onwards and I depend on the smart playlist feature to present me songs that I havn't heard in the last 3 months.

On the AV front, clamav is very good. I use freshclam to update the signatures periodically every few hours using a program called 'supervise'

I have installed xbmc on Ubuntu and the media player is as good as it gets. Infact there is a special xbmc customized Ubuntu 12.04 specially created for HTPC. Since we are all used to Windows, it is better to install Ubuntu as dual boot and then see the difference. You can get every possible alternative to Windows applications on Ubuntu Software Centre.

Yes OpenElec is very good and best alternative to Win7 till you desire to get HD audio which Linux does not support.

Thanks

I find windows 7 frustrating to use on my HTPC. Terrible booting time, application load time.

I don't know how you have configured your windows 7 for htpc, but my xbmc+win 7 htpc loads completely in 20-25 seconds. There is a dedicated linux version of xbmc called XBMCbuntu. For even faster boot, use openelec. It is said that it will boot in 5 seconds.

any foobar replaement for linux? or more less itunes like media player which plays flac and work on linux? and that too bootable through usb?

I am planning to use a lap with linux mint bootable on usb drive with flac plkayer supporting album art
planning to use a dac

music is on another usd hdd

is this possible ..that lap has special HDD ( 1.8 inch), mounting mechanism gone bad. lap boots through thumb drive / cd..with linux mint

any foobar replaement for linux? or more less itunes like media player which plays flac and work on linux? and that too bootable through usb?

I am planning to use a lap with linux mint bootable on usb drive with flac plkayer supporting album art
planning to use a dac

is this possible ..that lap has special HDD ( 1.8 inch), mounting mechanism gone bad. lap boots through thumb drive / cd..with linux mint

There are no audiophile players like Foobar,MM, Amarra etc for Ubuntu. I am using Guayadeque Player for it has good library managment and tag editing tools. I am not sure of the sound quality. But professionals use JACK for sound mixing in studios. I was never able to figure out how to setup JACK. Thad is using firewire I guess.

I don't know how you have configured your windows 7 for htpc, but my xbmc+win 7 htpc loads completely in 20-25 seconds. There is a dedicated linux version of xbmc called XBMCbuntu. For even faster boot, use openelec. It is said that it will boot in 5 seconds.

I wish I could get 25 seconds load time. On booting I continuously see the hdd led light active. It looks as if the system is starving for ram. I have 4 gb of ram (corsair DDR3 2x2 gb), Hard disk is Sata, processor AMD Phenom II X4, motherboard MSI 790-G65. Looks like something is wrong with my setup. But I see the same pathetic performance on my company provided HP laptop running windows 7. Also I see the same issue on a Dell vostro 460 desktop running windows 7. The common feature of all these hardware is 4gb RAM. All of these 3 hardware have Ubuntu which loads within 30 secs on the same hardware an without any additional optimization. Make me wonder if windows is memory inefficient and requires more ram compared to Ubuntu? Any tips to improve my windows load time is welcome (even the sleep/hibernate mode in windows takes longer than Ubuntu cold restart).

Last edited:
I wish I could get 25 seconds load time. On booting I continuously see the hdd led light active. It looks as if the system is starving for ram. I have 4 gb of ram (corsair DDR3 2x2 gb), Hard disk is Sata, processor AMD Phenom II X4, motherboard MSI 790-G65. Looks like something is wrong with my setup. But I see the same pathetic performance on my company provided HP laptop running windows 7. Also I see the same issue on a Dell vostro 460 desktop running windows 7. The common feature of all these hardware is 4gb RAM. All of these 3 hardware have Ubuntu which loads within 30 secs on the same hardware an without any additional optimization. Make me wonder if windows is memory inefficient and requires more ram compared to Ubuntu? Any tips to improve my windows load time is welcome (even the sleep/hibernate mode in windows takes longer than Ubuntu cold restart).

My htpc is based on 1.6GHz AMD Fusion, 4GB RAM and 5500 RPM HDD and still it boots very fast with win7. With your PC's configuration, it should run very fast. Is your PC a general purpose one or dedicated htpc? For HTPC, 4GB is enough. Make sure that your pc virus free. If it is a dedicated HTPC, then you can try the following to tweak it and get faster boot time.
1. Reinstall Windows 7.
2. Set XBMC to load directly without booting into Windows explorer (desktop) by setting xbmc as the shell.

Also try XBMCbuntu. It is a live cd, so can be tested without installation. I haven't tried it yet, as the download stopped due to net disconnection and the download is not resumable. So make sure that you download it in one stretch, any disconnection and you will need to start from beginning.

Openelec can be installed onto a memory card or pendrive. It is better to remove the HDD physically before the installation. I lost my complete hd collection in a second.

It's a bit hard to think why anyone who just wants to play music with Ubuntu would use Jack.

Yes, my reason for using it is that I have a firewire device. Firewire is a real hassle in Ubuntu. although, as mentioned elsewhere, I have found that hassle much reduced by installing KXStudio on top of it.

Jack... the Jack Audio Connection Kit.

Your media player will play to your onboard/PCI/USB soundcard/interface/DAC via Pulse Ausio and/or ALSA and, assuming it is nothing esoteric, should be recognised and almost as much plug'n'play as Windows. This was true for my old RME card and the on-boards that I have encountered (I've set up a couple of old machines to give to students: both of them just worked for basic on-board audio. Students are going to want to watch movies and play music too, I figured :)).

So, why would you want to use Jack? Well, maybe you are getting bored on a Sunday afternoon, browsing through software available for Ubuntu, and you fancy passing your music through an oscilloscope and a spectral analyser, on screen, just for starters. Or, connecting effects, synthesisers, and general fun stuff and making some weird noises

(Or, if you are really a musician, inviting the rest of the band round and getting into recording!)

Well, Jack is a patch panel. KXStudio's cadence and associated tools makes it relatively easy to configure and control, and connect that stuff all up with virtual connections on a nice gui interface. Just because you don't need something doesn't mean it is not fun to play with :). Only a couple of days ago, I was going through all the pre-programmed sounds of a virtual mini moog --- just for fun. Here's not one, but two synthesisers. If I had a couple of physical midi keyboards, I could probably play them both at once.

music.jpg

You can just make out the "patch panel" at the top right. And there's nearly forty other synthesiser to play with in the Bristol package :)

No... I didn't wire in anything to record with. I just make noise, not music, but I must try it.

Last edited:

planning to use a dac

If you choose to go Linux way only for music "music player daemon" with ALSA is good option. I am really happy with the ease of use and the sound quality.

It is possible to have the music collection from a separate disk in Linux / mpd. Mpd can play most of the major formats especially mp3,flac very well.

Installed Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and then added a subset of KXStudio (as per here) in a new partition over the past couple of days. My firewire sound system worked immediately and flawlessly.

Ubuntu Studio uses the XFCE desktop, which is a pretty straightforward windowing/menu system. I don't like it as much as my existing gnome2 (Ubuntu 11.04) setup, but at least it makes no major-change demands on eye or mind. Technically, I believe it is chosen due to its light weight, although, with a modern machine, this really doesn't matter to those of us who just want to listen to music.

Whilst I'm going to be experimenting with alternatives (and also with Mint soon), there is not too much in the XFCE desktop that I couldn't live with.

For those who like to play with stuff, but not to spend lots of money, remember that the photo in my previous post is tiny glimpse of a fragment of what comes with Ubuntu Studio and KXStudio. And it's all free. Still not tempted to try Linux? :rolleyes: :eek:hyeah:

Discovered elsewhere, this: Din. Polyphonic microtonal synthesiser. No fancy gui with this one, though, but a pretty weird one. The results are crazy and adictive: kept me up 'till 4.00am! :cool: :cool: :cool:

After GNome 3 I stopped using Ubuntu (actually I switched to windows 7), and I am not a KDE/Unity man.
Your words are encouraging me to install Ubuntu Studio. May be xfce is worth a try...

KDE does not appeal to me. No particular reason: I'm sure that, if it was all there was, I'd use it happily. I do not want kiddy-toy interface stuff like Unity. Actually, with small ocons of my most-used programs on a side panel, my desktop is not a billion miles away, but it is a million miles away, because it is totally configurable. It's on the right, for a start, which seems to be some sort of forbidden heresy in Unity Land :lol:

My menu is quite heavily customised too. Oh-So-Easy to do in Gnome2. Most of the individual components of my desktop are custom colours; also easy with gnome2.

I have compiz tweaks. OK, I really can do without the famous cube. I have it, but almost never use more than one workspace, and it just serves to show off to others every few months and to prove that the 3d drivers are still working, but there are a lot of other small details. One that I use very often, every day, is adjusting the brightness of a window (late-night web browsing; forums with white backgrounds!) and it is mapped to alt-mousewheel. This sort of thing becomes second nature, and change may be good, but why should we have it forced upon us!

My desktop looks simple. Bare, almost ... but it is the result of months of tiny tweaks, and of an evolution that goes way back to Windows 2000 and even 95.

Last edited:
Re: Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 - Tremendous performance gain disabling superfetch

I find windows 7 frustrating to use on my HTPC. Terrible booting time, application load time.

Maybe another thread on getting equivalent for popular commonly used applications on Windows can help newbies like me who swear by the superior quality of OS like Linux and MacOS

Finally after almost 2 years of struggling with windows 7 non-performance on my HTPC as well as my office laptop, I have managed to get a tremendous boost of power :yahoo:

I had almost given up on Windows. Both my office laptop and my HTPC use to take almost 5 minutes before they become usable. The common feature I used to see is that the hard disk activity led blinking continuously. This led me to suspect that the machine is starving for more memory. I added 4 GB more memory to my HTPC which already had 4GB ram. Even with 8 GB ram, the performance fell way behind Ubuntu 12.04 loaded on the same box. Somewhere last week I started disabling all services one by one by running msconfig.exe. Did notice some improvement but it was still no where near Ubuntu / Fedora Core performance. This sunday, I decided to be more aggressive and started disabling even services that Microsoft recommends "not to disable".

DISABLED the "superfetch" service. Oh boy, what a difference. The memory usage of the box as now gone below 1.3 GB and almost 6.5 GB RAM is now free :yahoo:

Now most of my applications open in 2-3 seconds flat.

Myth Busted: Why Disabling SuperFetch on Vista and Windows 7 Is a Bad Idea TuneUp Blog about Windows

Whatever Microsoft engineers :rolleyes: had for breakfast luch or dinner, while coding superfetch, I do not know - But that is one lousy piece of software that doesn't do its job properly. I have now disabled it on my Laptop too and has shown the same performance gain. superfetch service DOES NOT WORK FOR ME and I suspect, this could be case for lot of others.

Just thought of sharing this and hope it helps others who are frustrated with Windows Vista / Windows 7. For me, my HTPC now loads in 45 seconds (including auto login).

Last edited:
I am facing another problem with Windows 7.

I am unable to configure it to see my Samba server / NAS.
I keep on booting to my Linux partition to access it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back