With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers?

Naveenbnc

Hello all, I came to this group for a small suggestion that may cost around 3k.

Earlier I never taught I would pour this much money into HT system.

All the seniors here suggested to go for a step by step build. But I did not see its importance earlier. I bought a YHT196 package for 28K(with 3 years warrenty), thinking that ...I will not go for any upgrade in the next 2 to 3 years.

But within 2 or 3 months it started itching me for an upgrade :lol: So I bought TAGA TAV606 SE 5.0 set for 30k. Again...Within 2 months I felt that im missing tight and punchy bass.:eek:hyeah: So I am spending around 18K for a sub now.

So averall I spent the following:
YHT196 ---28k
Taga TAV606SE ---30k
Sub woofer ---18k
Total 76K spent so far.

On top of it... all the 5 speakers and a passive sub in YHT package are lying unused. (I may use them later in a different room)
On top of it...Now I may spend some more money on a HTCP etc...

So people, had I been slow and steady, Could I have ended up with a better setup for that price??

(I am quite happy as of now with my setup, and each of these above components are great for their price for sure!! ..I am asking only for understanding and suggestions from seniors)

Thanks & Regards..
Naveen:licklips:

Last edited:
Re: With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers

So averall I spent the following:
YHT196 ---28k
Taga TAV606SE ---30k
Sub woofer ---18k
Total 76K spent so far.

So people, had I been slow and steady, Could I have ended up with a better setup for that price??

For 76K, IMO this a good set-up... Even if you had picked Yamaha RX V 481, you wouldn't have got close to this set-up.. Bcoz the AVR itself would have eaten up 40K in your budget :eek:hyeah:

Earlier I never taught I would pour this much money into HT system.

Unfortunately, due to highest prices in the world of hi-fi, almost everyone is in the same boat..

On top of it... all the 5 speakers and a passive sub in YHT package are lying unused. (I may use them later in a different room)

Keep them & you can re-use the satellites if & when you upgrade to 9.2 AVR..

That is money well spent..

Re: With my hurry decisions...Did I waste my money? or Did I waste the extra speakers

Before sub woofer I think you should find a good receiver. YHT196's receiver should be suitable and optimized for satellites. There might be slight change in the sound using Taga speakers but you are seriously underutilizing their potential considering they are floor standers and bookshelf. You may not even need a subwoofer if you use a higher power receiver which can drive floor standers effortlessly.

Hello all, I came to this group for a small suggestion ...

Money well spent considering the education you've gained.

HTPC only if you are going to be using madVR. Otherwise don't bother. Get a NAS instead and something like Chromecast or Roku. Or any cheapo Android TV Box will do too.

Thank you elangoas and tchen... thats a relief...from my perspective around 70-80k is a big amount.. but for hifi domain.. its not that much...i get it now...

Hey Vinay... honestly....from the beginning I have a feeling that I not utilizing the potential of taga set fully...!!!! You might be right here !!!
In youtube there are many demo vodeos for Taga where they seem to be punchy. I never felt that my set is being driven to that extent. I get that sense when i play them.

Last edited:

As far as the bass is concerned, taga floor standers can go down upto 37Hz. They wont give a room filling bass particularly at low volumes. thats why im going for a sub. But right now the bass is tight, and very good for action movies.

Last edited:

There is nothing to worry about. We are all on the same boat. You havent spent the money only on the speakers and equipment's but also the knowledge that you have gained during those months.

The speakers and the receiver can be utilized well with the price spent. You are on the right track. You can use the satellite speakers as surrounds or as atmos speakers when you upgrade to atmos/DTS X setup in the future.

Happy to welcome you to this wonderful hobby...

As far as the bass is concerned, taga floor standers can go down upto 37Hz. They wont give a room filling bass particularly at low volumes. thats why im going for a sub. But right now the bass is tight, and very good for action movies.

The reason is your setup needs a good dedicated sub to produce the low frequency. Just wait for sometime. Do some auditions only for the sake of subwoofers. Based on the your budget and your taste buy a good subwoofer or a pair. You will definitely get the punch that you expect for the movies. I will bet you would never think of going to a commercial movie theater to enjoy movies.

Yes yes... before coming into this forum... i was a keen music listener... but nearly zero knowledge on HT systems...now I know a few basics...im happy for that too....

Hey... by the way... i taught of buying an active sub... but our forum member Aniket is building a mono amp for me. And im making a wooden enclosure for a 12inch 200W subwoofer. Aniket gave me all the details needed to build the box. Im extremely thankful to him ??

I started my journey with Yamaha YHT 299 and now find myself stuck with them. At times I think should I go for Taga Harmony 506.V2 or else start purchasing in steps as Center (Mission LX2c/MX2c) followed by Bookshelf fronts.

How Taga speakers are as compared to Yamaha? The speakers which I got with YHT299 are utter crap.

LOL, welcome to the club. All in the same boat with respect to our respective setups. It's a vicious circle. Try to complete every aspect of your setup before trying to replace any existing component.

A Sub for movies is necessary. Once you have a Sub and bass management going on, the load on the receiver will reduce and the speakers should get more juice to perform.

HTPC is a great add-on if you are going to do multiple things with the source, if not a basic Raspberry Pi is more than enough.

MaSh

I started my journey with Yamaha YHT 299 and now find myself stuck with them. At times I think should I go for Taga Harmony 506.V2 or else start purchasing in steps as Center (Mission LX2c/MX2c) followed by Bookshelf fronts.

How Taga speakers are as compared to Yamaha? The speakers which I got with YHT299 are utter crap.

Take some auditions on them and decide. Most of the forum members are using them and are happy they should be able to help you to decide. But each one have different taste. Trust your ears and decide.

Hey... by the way... i taught of buying an active sub... but our forum member Aniket is building a mono amp for me. And im making a wooden enclosure for a 12inch 200W subwoofer. Aniket gave me all the details needed to build the box. Im extremely thankful to him ??

Hi,
Aniket is a professional amp designer,which 12inch sub brand have you choosed,i presume its awai coz he prefers that brand.

Diy amp/subbox means cost effective and performance far better then the branded stuff..

thanks
r/s

Neoonwheels

Im not sure about 299. But taga 5.0 is definitely a good set in that budget!!! Some one said that their sound signature is bright. It might be personal taste too. But they are a bang for the buck. !!

Rajesh... its Iwai sub he suggested. He does some testing using his software. Im sure it will be great.

Oooooh ... i never taught it this way...!!! Its true we can buy a bike !!!??
In fact... i could have sold my FZS and bought a KTM !!!!

Last edited:

MaSh....

You said the very right thing to // Try to complete every aspect of your setup before trying to replace any existing component //

Right now the only thing I feel missing with my AVR is lack of complete control on BASS and TREBLE. I fiddled with all the settings available. But I barely notice any drastic difference in bass and treble.

It may not be right to compare...but even cheap and unbranded amps have the knobs to increase and decrease bass and treble...we can see that treble reduced to almost nill on one end... and on the other end..they can go so sharp that we cant really bear.

I am assuming avr's are built with an intention to sound professional rather than being raw.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back