Wooden rack for hi fidelity equipment

square_wave

My AV rack has found a new home :) The only reason why I sold it was to make a wooden one.

I was planning for a design which is popular in Bangalore. But for some reasons, opted out of it.

I am looking for ideas now. Few criteria.

A. Good isolation from vibrations
B. Sturdy
C. Looks homely. I do not want something that looks like an experimental device from a laboratory if you know what I mean.

Any cool ideas ?

I was planning for a design which is popular in Bangalore. But for some reasons, opted out of it.

I do not want something that looks like an experimental device from a laboratory if you know what I mean.
Can you point out what you left out? you requirement is generic for all HiFi racks but form-factor could not be visualized.

Hi square wave,

Am looking to build one myself same criteria, was thinking of this one Stand and Rack Reviews | Stereophile.com the pagode. The center plate on which you place your equipment can be on a sand filling and it does not touch the sides of the containing shelf.

But I'll probably go with a simple teak/plywood affair and opt for equipment bases from Herbies later on, wood bases a la Prem for starters.

Regards

Three legged wooden stand with each wooden shelf resting on spikes...

I had seen a pic on a forum with stuff from Acoustic Potrait and Lyrita, can't place it now.

Hi square_wave

I have experimented a lot with wooden racks. What i have learnt

1. Try and go for a hardwood rack. Tonality is better.
2. Avoid screws/nails. Have dove tail joints.
3. Each hardwood has its own signature sound. For example ebony will sound dense. Teak will sound lighter. Here it boils down to personal preferences.
4. The most important thing in a wooden rack is to drill 2-3 holes on each shelf. This ensures resonances do not develop in the shelf and is transmitted to the floor.
5. Spiking the legs may or may not be essential. Try it out if you want to tighten up the sound

Hope this helps

Yes. SRA is a very different kind of rack. It has a titanium skeleton enclosed in the wooden frame. There are 4 pods for each shelf. The shelf is soapstone. Its the best rack i have ever owned. The only reason i sold it was because it was a 4 shelf rack and i just needed a 2 shelf one.

Hey Shivam,

Looks nice almost the same as the box furniture one.
I am sure what makes the box furniture one different could be the materials and method of construction. Any thoughts ? Did you use any nails / screws in the construction ?

No nails or screws anywhere in the rack. The joints were made to fit in like jigsaw puzzle pieces- exact and tight. Their were a few wooden pegs used at some places to strengthen the joints. I didn't use spikes at the base.

square_wave, you should visit gvenu's place. He just got a very nice wooden rack based on a design concept from Siva.

9670d1361359867-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-img_0313.jpg

Meanwhile here is one design I like but not sure if it's going to sound good.

rack_gross.jpg

And here is my idea of a great looking setup.
Just need to find a nice chest with the treasure ...

149063_10151526213322618_104209001_n.jpg

I"m looking for a rack too...something that is modular so the placement can be altered based on the need. Perhaps you, Steven and I could get it done together.

Prem, Jacob's rack looks great...I'm almost afraid to ask but would I have to sell a kidney to buy one of these?

I saw some great designs here - pARTicular

I"m looking for a rack too...something that is modular so the placement can be altered based on the need. Perhaps you, Steven and I could get it done together.

Prem, Jacob's rack looks great...I'm almost afraid to ask but would I have to sell a kidney to buy one of these?

I saw some great designs here - pARTicular

Hi Soulforged

No Jacob's racks are not very expensive. I think his new design for a 4 shelf rack will be about Rs 40000. The older ones were a bit more expensive. Mine is a 2 shelf which cost about Rs 45000.

His racks work. You almost get 85% of SRA Craz performance at 5% of the price.

square_wave, you should visit gvenu's place. He just got a very nice wooden rack based on a design concept from Siva.

9670d1361359867-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-img_0313.jpg

Meanwhile here is one design I like but not sure if it's going to sound good.

rack_gross.jpg

Love the way you think Nikhil ! That stand must cost a bomb considering the amount of wood that has gone into it. I like the look. Never know how it will sound though :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back