Wooden Speaker Stands!!

chander

Dear FMs,

Does anyone here knows any source where one can purchase wooden speaker stands? I have got approval for stands for QA C20s, on one condition! They have to be "Wooden" and they have to be beautiful! All local furniture guys are shut, so DIY-TSE (Thru someone else) is not an option for me right now. Hi-Fi Racks are way toooooo expensive to justify the cost - considering their cheapest rack is almost double the price of my speakers in India. Any google search keeps taking me to soundfoundation, but they don't keep wooden stands.

Now - With all due respect, I understand, that speaker stands is a very technical thing and I should perhaps go with what the company intended for my speakers etc., but right now, that is absolutely NOT AN OPTION. Also I am sure anything, absolutely anything will be better than where they are kept right now :D. So if anyone here is aware of where I can find wooden speakers stands which are around 10-15K maybe a little more, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dear FMs,

Does anyone here knows any source where one can purchase wooden speaker stands? I have got approval for stands for QA C20s, on one condition! They have to be "Wooden" and they have to be beautiful! All local furniture guys are shut, so DIY-TSE (Thru someone else) is not an option for me right now. Hi-Fi Racks are way toooooo expensive to justify the cost - considering their cheapest rack is almost double the price of my speakers in India. Any google search keeps taking me to soundfoundation, but they don't keep wooden stands.

Now - With all due respect, I understand, that speaker stands is a very technical thing and I should perhaps go with what the company intended for my speakers etc., but right now, that is absolutely NOT AN OPTION. Also I am sure anything, absolutely anything will be better than where they are kept right now :D. So if anyone here is aware of where I can find wooden speakers stands which are around 10-15K maybe a little more, please let me know.

Thanks!
For 10-15K you'll get SF stands, metal of course.
Spend a couple of hundred bucks and paint them in wood finish ;)
Cheers,
Raghu

Coax her with a good bottle of wine (or a few).
Use your negotiating skills and charm to the fullest, no guarantee it'll work though.
If it does, everyone is happy!!
Cheers,
Raghu

:D wine might have not-so favorable effects on this topic! The speakers might be out of window, she hates the hospital white!

Jokes aside - so there is no hope except a good carpenter?

:D wine might have not-so favorable effects on this topic! The speakers might be out of window, she hates the hospital white!

Jokes aside - so there is no hope except a good carpenter?
Interesting post and right at the opportune time. I was looking for speaker stands myself for the Evos. One thing that caught my eyes were the tontrager reference stands which look like they could be replicated in India through a reasonable skilled carpenter. the other option for me was an Ikea Dalfred Bar Stool (i happened to see an Evo kept on the stool and they looked brilliant). Since they seem to be out stock, i was planning on getting 4-6 of them made for my bookshelf speakers. However, I'd rather prefer the convenience of buying wooden stands online so any leads in this respect will be much appreciated.

I have the SF Nemesis which look great with the KEFs but terrible with the EVos. i want to do away with the SF Nemesis and and the Hifi rack (black glass shelves with blacked metal pillars) entirely if possible as most of my furniture is wood and both these items kinda stick out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, none of the so called media cabinets that i found online (after many many hours of searching) seem to be practical enough or for that matter, deep enough for proper hi fi electronics (most have depths of only 12-15 inches) and not enough ventilation. The hi fi rack that andrew robinson has seems to be the most pratical and perfectly designed AV rack. Hes actually reviewed them and i am posting the link below for reference:

I was also interested in the Tono systems HF-B601 and i was sent a quote today by the company but I am in two minds - I'm unsure whether the wood finish on the pillar sides would compliment or detract from my Evos or the other speakers that i have. The price quoted is also reasonable. For reference, the Tono systems stands are linked below:

Last edited:
Tell her that you would a wooden stand but would have to spend more for getting acoustic isolation as wood isn't good or buy exotic cables. You might get lucky if they hate spends on such frivilous items; else the usual - grounded! Either ways let us know :)

Dear FMs,

Thanks!

Came across this on OLX the other day. Don't know the maker. Just thought it looked quite nice

Also, on another thread I had come across Mr. Murthy from Bangalore who makes high-end audio cables and metal / wooden speaker stands on order. Just do a search for 'Murthy's Cables' on the forum and you will find the thread I am referring. I remember seeing photographs of wooden speaker stands made by him on the thread.

Tell her that you would a wooden stand but would have to spend more for getting acoustic isolation as wood isn't good or buy exotic cables. You might get lucky if they hate spends on such frivilous items; else the usual - grounded! Either ways let us know :)
If it looks aesthetically pleasing, she might ask me to go for it. She is also quite an audiophile in the making with a great ear for nice songs. Her biggest gripe is why can’t affordable and good audio equipment not complement a home’s aesthetic. I never thought of that, but I kind of agre with her now. However, I would rather spend only 10-15k ;).

Thanks a ton @PCA.

@PCA I believe this is the number - 91 98-80-033516. Is he still active, the post you mentioned is from 2012.

@PCA I believe this is the number - 91 98-80-033516. Is he still active, the post you mentioned is from 2012.

Are you asking about Mr. Murthy? I spoke to him last week regarding some interconnects and he is still making them. So, might be worth checking with him about about the stands.

Came across this on OLX the other day. Don't know the maker. Just thought it looked quite nice

These seem to be the same stands as the these ones:

Interesting post and right at the opportune time. I was looking for speaker stands myself for the Evos. One thing that caught my eyes were the tontrager reference stands which look like they could be replicated in India through a reasonable skilled carpenter. the other option for me was an Ikea Dalfred Bar Stool (i happened to see an Evo kept on the stool and they looked brilliant). Since they seem to be out stock, i was planning on getting 4-6 of them made for my bookshelf speakers. However, I'd rather prefer the convenience of buying wooden stands online so any leads in this respect will be much appreciated.

I have the SF Nemesis which look great with the KEFs but terrible with the EVos. i want to do away with the SF Nemesis and and the Hifi rack (black glass shelves with blacked metal pillars) entirely if possible as most of my furniture is wood and both these items kinda stick out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, none of the so called media cabinets that i found online (after many many hours of searching) seem to be practical enough or for that matter, deep enough for proper hi fi electronics (most have depths of only 12-15 inches) and not enough ventilation. The hi fi rack that andrew robinson has seems to be the most pratical and perfectly designed AV rack. Hes actually reviewed them and i am posting the link below for reference:

I was also interested in the Tono systems HF-B601 and i was sent a quote today by the company but I am in two minds - I'm unsure whether the wood finish on the pillar sides would compliment or detract from my Evos or the other speakers that i have. The price quoted is also reasonable. For reference, the Tono systems stands are linked below:

Nice thoughts into the design. One hopes the cabinet doesn’t resonate because that will color/distort the sound. Especially because it doesn’t look like made with heavy wood.

One noobish and a bit off-topic query. I see people buy BS, then spend thousands on Stands. Does it work better than going for FS?

Bookshelves have their own advantages. Firstly the looks - to me BS with a nice matching stands look gorgeous in comparison to a tall cuboid FS that bodes enormity. Secondly, some of us don’t want three or more drivers (though you get FS with just two or even one driver, that’s rare in budget systems) - our space or living conditions (apartments) don’t allow bass to propagate to neighbours etc. Thirdly, BS actually suit (in my opinion) vocal and acoustic music better - any wonder why companies like Harbeth have only BS/SM and not FS? BS generally image better and sound feels like coming from one point than as a wall.

These are of course my subjective reasons. I could be technically wrong and glad to be corrected.

When I bought my BS speakers, I went for the stands made by the company for those specific speakers costing almost 60% of the speaker price. The combined cost plus some addition would have gotten me the FS in the same series. I chose the BS + stands and am still glad I did so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back