World tamil conference video-arr

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

This is the video song tuned by A R Rahman for the forthcoming world Taml conference at Coimbatore.The conference is significant in that, it is the first after the language has been conferred the classical status.The lyrics are by the Tamilnadu CM, Mr.M.Karunanidhi and the video is direced by Gutam Vasudev Menon. So many celebrity singers appear and sing in this colourful video.It is great to see the most famous tamil playback singer TMS opening the song.You can watch this in HD too. Even our friends on the forum who does not know Tamil can enjoy this song:)

YouTube - SemMozhi | Tamil Anthem | AR.Rahman | HD

cheers,
sri

Was SPB out of town whilst this was done or only tamil singers were allowed to sing?

Hi,

Really surprised to see this question.Well, TMS, P Suseela,Srinivas,Haiharan are not tamils to name a few.Why SPB was left out is a mystery that only ARR can answer.Even for that matter SJ is not there too.

cheers,
sri

Hi,

Really surprised to see this question.Well, TMS, P Suseela,Srinivas,Haiharan are not tamils to name a few.Why SPB was left out is a mystery that only ARR can answer.Even for that matter SJ is not there too.

cheers,
sri
Thanks for sharing Sridhar. Will check it out tonight at home.

Let me try my hand at cracking the abbreviations used thus far:
SPB = S.P Balasubramaniam
SJ = S.Janaki
ARR = AR Rehman

TMS = TM Soundarajan? That name TMS does ring a bell, have heard my dad say good things about TMS.

Thanks for posting this Sri, But may be I'm on a leaner side I didn't quite like the music. Whilst I appreciate everyone coming together and making a song it lacked the tamil feel in it. May be Raja sir would have done better - Just my personal opinion.

@ Santhosh - Yes, all your guesses are perfect.

Hi Santhosh,

Yes you have hit the bull's eye regarding the names.:) Sorry i used the abbreviations.Yes T M Sounderajan ruled the Tamil Film playback field for so many years.There are scores of songs by him that are loved even today.I will give a PM to you giving a link to a song sung by him.

cheers,
sri

I'm not sure but I read somewhere that ARR himself is a Malayali with his original name being Dilip Kumar. Apparently his father used to be a famous composer in Malayalam films in those days. Again, I could be wrong!

^ He belongs to the Tamil mudhaliyar community so rahman is tamil, one of his relative studied with me in college and he used tell me a lot of stories about ar rahman's family.

I don't like this Tamil conference song that much,having said that i am not sure even if Illayaraja would have made a good theme when it comes to a pure core Tamil value since both the composers are influenced by western style(same reason why i did not like illayaraja's thiruvasagam where he tried to show his symphony talents) .They should have asked some non film classical or folk composer to compose the song and i am sure there must be many talents available like that in Tamil Nadu.

Last edited:
@sri, my intention was not to nitpick about statehood of the singers, I was surprised to note that SPB hasn't lent his voice to this song since it was touted to showcase the varied culture of TN, my bad knowing the politicians involved I thought SPB was sidelined owing to his roots, it was a mistake :-(

P.S: Are you sure TMS is not tamil, his diction too good to be non-tamil :)

@sri

P.S: Are you sure TMS is not tamil, his diction too good to be non-tamil :)

Hi,

Though for all practical purposes he is a Tamilian,:) dear TMS is a Saurashtrian basically.So many artistes who graced the Tamil Filmdom were from other states and they are house hold names here even after they are dead and gone for a long time. Goes to show that art transcends all barriers right?

cheers,
sri

Hariharan is a Tamil Iyer .....Srinivas is a Tamil Iyengar .....

srikarkav's why did you mention otherwise ? . Is there any website which says so ?

P susheela speaks Telugu and TMS is from Sourashtra community .....both of them are veterans in Tamil Playback singing .....divine voice .....my personal favourites ...

This song unfortunately is By DMK for DMK ........Lyrics should have been written by Vairamuthu .....he is by far the best ....his command over Tamil is unparalleled ..... ARR could have given a better composition if the lyrics had some quality .................Karunanidhi wrote it for obvious reasons and the result .......to be frank is a big dud .......unlikely to be remembered after this conference .....unless and until Kalignar and Sun TV keep playing it for no rhyme or reason ........

Hi,

Yes it seems Srinivas is a Tamil and studied in Kerala.My mistake.Really not sure about Hariharan except that he was born in Trvandrum. Not that all these things matter.I was just answering to MR Grumps who thought only Tamil singers were allowed to sing in the video.

cheers,
sri

Sri -

did not intend to discuss politics .....but the conference and the song itself is political in nature ...so that was a comment about the poor quality of the song (my opinion again) ...

Sri -

did not intend to discuss politics .....but the conference and the song itself is political in nature ...so that was a comment about the poor quality of the song (my opinion again) ...

Hi,

I really don't know how the song comes across as political in nature.The song is entirely about the glory of Tamil.If you are not impressed with the lyrics or the music it is a different matter.But you are entitled to your opinion and let us end this here.

cheers,
sri

Was SPB out of town whilst this was done or only tamil singers were allowed to sing?

Vijay Yesudas is present, so no truth in saying only tamils were selected.
Whoever who is active in the tamil circuit is present.
Even the director of the film is a non-tamil.
bringing all singers to the beach on a particular day for the shoot
might have been a problem and hence some names are missing.

Well the song is meant to make Tamil look as contemporary
and modern for the GenX without losing the flavour.
So it does make sense to have music getting composed
by ARR and having a peppy tune to it.

PS: loved the bit by Shurtihassan, but all my friends hated it.

Last edited:
I listened to this anthem and tried giving it the requisite time to sink in - as made mandatory for Rahman songs :). All in vain.

The strains of the refrain are good - Semmozhiyaana Thamizh Mozhiyam. But the rest is not enjoyable. I somehow cannot stand rap by Blaaze featuring in this anthem - in itself intending to showcase Tamil as an ancient language. It sort of seemed to me to be missing the point altogether.

I am sure I am not alone in thinking that Ilayaraja could have helped bring in that authentic Tamil cultural flavour to the anthem. It is not that I do not like or appreciate Rahman. Quite the opposite. But then Ilayaraja does have indisputable strengths.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back