Worldspace Maestro is back on Satellite Radio!!

reubensm

Latest update: AsiaStar Beam (Asia) - 1 channel operational on 2 Satellite bands, 1 and 4 (south asia and far east asia beams). The Channel is titled Capital and is available on 328. They are playing old 2001 recordings of the old Worldspace Maestro channel, 24x7. No other channels are functional, reception is perfect with a signal strength of 9db. However, the recordings have background noise and are apparently in Mono. On the AfriStar Beam (Africa and Europe), 2 Satellite bands are functional with 12 channels operational on each band. None of these 12 channels are broadcasting any content though. Since they opened 12 channels on each band, something might be cooking. Shall send further updates. Thanks

Thanks Reubensm.That was a great update.I am really missing World Space.Let us hope that they get back.I think the free internet radio has done the trick.
A:clapping:ll the best.

I've set up my Panasonic RE WS10 receiver in our bed room and Maestro is on through out the night. We had the same playing when my elder son was born and found that he used to sleep better (this was 2007). Now, I've noticed my 3 month old second son sleeps off easily listening to Maestro.

I was taking a look at my Panasonic RE WS10 and cant help but drool over what a wonderful receiver it is in terms of looks and sound quality. Its a shame that after the Worldspace (or whatever is left of it in the hands of Yazmi) satellites burn out, this will become as good as a paper weight.

The satellites (Asiastar and Afristar) belong to Yazmi and hence they dont have to buy airtime. The last update I came across in the press was that Yazmi was looking at a model wherein they would provide the satellite platform to broadcasters (unlike the earlier business model wherein worldspace took care of the platform and the content as well). Currently some tests are going on with AfriStar as a French Satellite Radio network (operated by former Worldspace executives) is planning a launch using the same technology and 50 channels. No idea what is going to happen to AsiaStar. Afristar was launched in 1998 and is now on the way out as it had a 12 yr lifespan. Asiastar was launched in 2000 and should be around till 2012.

Timbre Media is a great initiative and is really cool. However a lot of us, especially me were into worldspace for the thrill of receiving radio direct via satellite. I've done quite a few experiments with different antenna positions, picking up both AsiaStar and AfriStar broadcasts. I've sold off my Worldspace Yagi, LNB and cable to a friend (who wanted it to experiment with L-band reception, outside Worldspace broadcasts) and now have 2 patch antennae (one belonging to the receiver and the other a spare one accquired form a friend). I dont use my receiver's original patch antenna (dont want to spoil it by exposing it to the elements) and use the standby BPL one (although its performance is not as good as the Panasonic one).

Here's something interesting about how worldspace was received outside the satellite footprint in Australia: Satdirectory the free-to-air satellite directory - worldspace

worldspace coverage maps: http://www.thiecom.de/khws1coverage.gif Please note that AmeriStar was never launched and is currently in storage.

Last edited:
Worldspace Panasonic RE WS10 was very attractive when it was launched. If I am right they were selling it for 10 K +/-.

Few months back at Chennai many RE WS10 were available for sale for prices ranging from Rs.500 to Rs.1500/- depending upon the condition.

I have two hitachi rx which we picked up from mg road bangalore.

cheers,

cheers,

Worldspace Panasonic RE WS10 was very attractive when it was launched. If I am right they were selling it for 10 K +/-.

Few months back at Chennai many RE WS10 were available for sale for prices ranging from Rs.500 to Rs.1500/- depending upon the condition.

I have two hitachi rx which we picked up from mg road bangalore.

cheers,

cheers,

Hi,
Please let me know if you find anything cheap:)

Regards,
Sachin

Yes Reuben,

Regards,
Sachin

Must inform you though, they are replaying possibly a tape or digital file from a 2001 production, roughly 1 hour or so (duration of the piece) which loops 24x7, so you'll keep hearing the same piece, announcements and adverts all over again and again. Being a metal head, have little or no knowledge of western classical music, hence it sounds ok as pipe music or background music.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Came across this :

WorldSpace radio is back - Forbes India -,

N.Murali

Dear Murali, the last paragraph of this article holds the key to people like myself. I am very interested in using the same equipment as well. Thought it was a cool concept, receiving satellite radio and operating satellite radio equipment. Also, I have the best in its class worldspace radio, Panasonic RE WS10.

wow.. this is surely interesting. I had left my patch antenna on the terrace and didnt bother bringing it down after WS shut shop. Maybe I should try getting a reception on this.. I remember I had actually hooked my Hitachi WS to my car stereo and had coverage over 95% of my journey through south india.

Let me know if someone from Bangalore can help me install the Antenna back if I wish to revive my WS setup :D

Let me know if someone from Bangalore can help me install the Antenna back if I wish to revive my WS setup :D

You can do it all by yourself. Let me know the following:

1) What kind of receiver do you have?
2) How were you receiving WS before (where you using an external Yagi antenna or where you using the receiver's patch antenna?)
3) Do you have a clear view of the sky from your home, south of the direction where the sun rises?

Can give you directions for setting it up.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back