Would V-GUARD "DIGI-200" suffice for my AV Setup ?

indiglo

Would V-GUARD Digi-200 suffice for my AV Setup ?

Have :
1) Samsung Plasma 51PS550 (51" screen tv) //requires a 15amp plug//
2) Sony HT system (would be upgrading to proper HT receiver/amp & speakers soon)
3) Philips DVD player (upgrading to 3d BR player soon)
4) PCH media player.
5) Dish HD DTH + Local digital cable set top box (cisco)
6) Laptop sometimes/sparingly used i.e connected to the above tv ,powered from the same power source!
7) will be soon attaching a PS3 to this setup!

Now the main issue here is i need some good & reliable power device for safeguarding all these equipments(including those to b purchased) from frequent voltage fluctuations, surges,etc.Even though there r sometimes(particular in summer lots of load shedding) but as they would run Non critical tasks related to entertainment,AFAIU,I don't need much of power backup in this setup,....that would be of lesser priority!

So, would be a GOOD quality Voltage Stabilizer like those specially built for tv/big sized plasma like the "V-GUARD Digi-200" be enough to handle the situation & save the equipments or do i need compulsorily a ONLINE Ups here? Is it a MUST?

Actually my budget now is very limited (max 4-5k), cant really invest much on a Good online ups from APC,etc that would put a hole in my pocket for abt 20-25k.

As I'm on crossroad to make a sound investment regarding the long term safety of my equipments & that too soon(it is summer now),...So, can the knowledgeable & informed wise guys plz help me in a effective practical solution to this within my stipulated limitations !

All the Thanks in Advance :)

Would V-GUARD Digi-200 suffice for my AV Setup ?

Have :
1) Samsung Plasma 51PS550 (51" screen tv) //requires a 15amp plug//
2) Sony HT system (would be upgrading to proper HT receiver/amp & speakers soon)
3) Philips DVD player (upgrading to 3d BR player soon)
4) PCH media player.
5) Dish HD DTH + Local digital cable set top box (cisco)
6) Laptop sometimes/sparingly used i.e connected to the above tv ,powered from the same power source!
7) will be soon attaching a PS3 to this setup!

Now the main issue here is i need some good & reliable power device for safeguarding all these equipments(including those to b purchased) from frequent voltage fluctuations, surges,etc.Even though there r sometimes(particular in summer lots of load shedding) but as they would run Non critical tasks related to entertainment,AFAIU,I don't need much of power backup in this setup,....that would be of lesser priority!

So, would be a GOOD quality Voltage Stabilizer like those specially built for tv/big sized plasma like the "V-GUARD Digi-200" be enough to handle the situation & save the equipments or do i need compulsorily a ONLINE Ups here? Is it a MUST?

Actually my budget now is very limited (max 4-5k), cant really invest much on a Good online ups from APC,etc that would put a hole in my pocket for abt 20-25k.

As I'm on crossroad to make a sound investment regarding the long term safety of my equipments & that too soon(it is summer now),...So, can the knowledgeable & informed wise guys plz help me in a effective practical solution to this within my stipulated limitations !

All the Thanks in Advance :)

I've been using V-Guard Crystal Plus, which can drive 3 independent load each rated at 3A. It comes with inbuilt Surge protection. You can get it for around 2.5k.

With which tv r u using that?
i'm thinking of getting a V-Guard Crystal or the Plus(getting it at 2.2k) for my other 32" Sony Bravia LCD tv also,...think vgaurd crystal would be enough for that !
...but plasma i reckon require higher rated stabilizers & V-Guard Crystal or the Plus wouldn't cut it here!

I am using digi200 with my setup from last 2.5 years. IMO it voltage stabalizer with inbuilt spike buster and noise filter. I can hear kit-kat sound from it which comes from relay clicked when voltage fluctuates.
Here you can see white box at bottom rightside. http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/20300-my-simple-tv-setup.html
I see it reduces 255v to 230v. I measured using DMM. Though it works good when there is high voltage in night-morning, I am not sure how good it will be for instant surge and fluctuations. It has some response time in 300m sec, or like that. I hope equipment holds for that time before digi200 safety kicks in.
So it is moderate safety.

Last edited:
Thanks omishra :)

how would you rate the performance of the stabilizer & the ASS of V-Guard ?
Also r u using any other power safety device alongwith this?
Do u feel ur expensive av devices r adequately safe now(since last 2.5 yrs) with the digi-200? or would you still like to invest in a online or a line-interactive ups of proper rating from a reputed company?

Your invaluable feedback is really worth in golds !

Price difference between the 2kva and 4 kva V-Guard models is a mere 200-300 bucks .... so, why not settle for the 4 kva model meant for ACs?

I am doing so for the last 2 years .... absolutely no complaints .... the CRT TV, AVR, DVDp and an Amp function normally even during voltage fluctuations, whenever it happens since it has come down drastically as such in South Delhi.

^ I think the Digi Series(including Digi-200 which is highest rated) is specifically meant for Electronic/Digital devices like Tv/Audio system/media players etc as V-guard promotes them, unlike those meant for AC's. I don't know the real tech funda , just speaking in the layman's terms !

Thanks omishra :)

how would you rate the performance of the stabilizer & the ASS of V-Guard ?
Also r u using any other power safety device alongwith this?
Do u feel ur expensive av devices r adequately safe now(since last 2.5 yrs) with the digi-200? or would you still like to invest in a online or a line-interactive ups of proper rating from a reputed company?

Your invaluable feedback is really worth in golds !
Hmmm...see there are differences in the power condition. How it fluctuates? how much noise level it carries and how much voltage spikes it has?

This is useful if fluctuation are slow - mere voltage stays at high or level (momentary or stable) and comes back to normal (some huge machines/motors turning on/off). But does not seems to be good if fluctuation are >10% in rapid like welding machine is hooked at same PS place etc. Also it does not protect surges from from lightning bolt on power line. For that you need to remove power plug for your safety. Some stabilizers have this protection too.

For me getting voltage is okay and it served the purpose. I am not using any other power device. I feel they are safe unless mother nature struck to everything.

Price difference between the 2kva and 4 kva V-Guard models is a mere 200-300 bucks .... so, why not settle for the 4 kva model meant for ACs?

I am doing so for the last 2 years .... absolutely no complaints .... the CRT TV, AVR, DVDp and an Amp function normally even during voltage fluctuations, whenever it happens since it has come down drastically as such in South Delhi.
That will work but AC stabilizers are not same useful for AV. Where AC motor can tolerate some level, AV needs instant correction without delay. You are still lucky. Digi 200 (1.2KVA) are priced almost double of Digi100 (600VA).

I have a similar query, I'm planning to connect the following:

1) Samsung 40" LED TV
2) tata sky HD plus
3) onkyo 3500 htib
4) asus air media player
5) ps3
6) DVD player

could someone please advise a suitable stabilizer, leaving some wattage room for addition.

Also will an Apc UPS be a better solution, if yes, what capacity?

thank you

Sent from my Desire S

Sent from my Desire S

That will work but AC stabilizers are not same useful for AV. Where AC motor can tolerate some level, AV needs instant correction without delay. You are still lucky. Digi 200 (1.2KVA) are priced almost double of Digi100 (600VA).

These are all marketing gimmicks played by manufacturers to squeeze out higher prices from 'over-cautious' endusers. Open up the two different branded stabilizers (from the same stables) and try find out any differences inside .... would be nothing, other than the transformer size due to higher capacity.

The equipments (in my signature) used to behave erratic during very low voltage periods ... CRT used to flicker, the AVR would go on shut-down, the DVDp would not read the discs. They have been rock-steady since the time I went for the 4 kva 'general' stabilizer from V-Guard.

There is also present a high and low voltage auto cut-off on the stabilizer. The voltage never got so low uptil now to make it trip. Only once, when the voltage exceeded 280V, did it trip. Good thing ... I noticed it happening. The moment everything normalized, the stabilizer came on ... with the 3-minute delay, as happens with AC. This ensures a true input to the appliances.

^^ APC UPS is better option if you don't want backup. But that include battery maintenance and 1.2KVA won't be that cheap including battery. Rather use two 650VA separately.
But that's all hassle avoided with single good stabilizer.
With increasing grim situation of power (and price), follow 1, 2 or 3
  1. If voltages just goes up and down then these Digi X00 will do. Here you need to get some up or down within range.
  2. If voltage fluctuates too much ( you can see flicker into old style bulbs etc) then servo based stabilizer is best. (Don't ask me brand, :D there is separate thread here in HFV)
  3. If there is too much noise with fluctuation then go for UPS.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back