WTB! LCD/LED TV for <32K

doubleseven

Hello guys.:)

Started scouting for LCD/LED TVs for <32K (can stretch a bit (2k max) if it is worth it) and I am here to seek your advice.

Here are my specifications:
  • Budget: 25-33K
  • Viewing Distance: 6 feet only
  • Size: 32 inches - Full HD ( Room is small, so I dont think 42" will work out for me)
  • Screen: LCD or LED (IPS Panel or the best one) - best quality at this budget (from what I have read here, LED does not add much to picture quality, but I dont know much! So both are ok as long as picture quality is kick ass)
  • Usage: Need a future-ready TV as I wont be changing it for the next 5 years min.
  • Playback: May watch movies from USB or Laptop, so video format compatibility is important
  • Speakers: good audio output
  • Brands: Panasonic, Samsung, LG or Sony preferred (2012 models mainly)

In short, I want the best total package for the budget. Please help me in selecting the right TV. Many thanks for your attention and time!

Last edited:
Hello guys.:)

Started scouting for LCD/LED TVs for <32K (can stretch a bit (2k max) if it is worth it) and I am here to seek your advice.

Here are my specifications:
  • Budget: 25-33K
  • Viewing Distance: 6 feet only
  • Size: 32 inches - Full HD ( Room is small, so I dont think 42" will work out for me)
  • Screen: LCD or LED (IPS Panel or the best one) - best quality at this budget (from what I have read here, LED does not add much to picture quality, but I dont know much! So both are ok as long as picture quality is kick ass)
  • Usage: Need a future-ready TV as I wont be changing it for the next 5 years min.
  • Playback: May watch movies from USB or Laptop, so video format compatibility is important
  • Speakers: good audio output
  • Brands: Panasonic, Samsung, LG or Sony preferred (2012 models mainly)

In short, I want the best total package for the budget. Please help me in selecting the right TV. Many thanks for your attention and time!

Panasonic VIERA TH-P42X30D - 30k on ebay...you may wish to consider

Panasonic VIERA TH-P42X30D - 30k on ebay...you may wish to consider

At 6-8 feet viewing distance, 42 inches will be ok? from what i have read in the guides here, 32" seems to be the best option. I wish I could buy 42", but that would be too big for my room size I think. That is why I am looking for 32"

At 6-8 feet viewing distance, 42 inches will be ok? from what i have read in the guides here, 32" seems to be the best option. I wish I could buy 42", but that would be too big for my room size I think. That is why I am looking for 32"

Please do not fall for the "Room Size" myth. The rule is buy the biggest screen tv you can afford. If you have the budget for 42inches, then by all means please go for it. If you really want to know move about viewing distance, have a look:

If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way

source : HDTV Set Up

Please do not fall for the "Room Size" myth. The rule is buy the biggest screen tv you can afford. If you have the budget for 42inches, then by all means please go for it. If you really want to know move about viewing distance, have a look:

If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

8 Feet for a 50" TV. I hope they are referring to HD content being played on HDTV. May be it also suits for all 16:9 TV broadcasts in american/european countries.

But in india if we watch SD content on 50" HDTV, i think the distance has to be more.

Thanks a lot for this informative post!

Assuming that I will watch SD content predominantly, what do you suggest? As elangoas has mentioned, does the chart still apply?

The crude thumb rule and equation is: viewing distance = 2 x horizontal width of the picture.

Basically human eye vision is 46 but the best vision is within 35. Apply laws of trigonometry and you can arrive at the decision.

SD or HD is an indirect factor. Basically you will find SD more pleasant from a longer distance because you will less artifacts.

takes a piece of information you can obtain quicklythe video monitor's screen sizeand extrapolates the exact distance that your seating should be away from the video monitor so that your eyes can comfortably watch that size screen with maximum visual impact.
The distance that you are about to calculate will also be used in the next task on planning your room layout and placing your seating. So don't throw away the piece of paper on which you do the calculation! Instead, put a piece of tape down on the carpet or flooring to mark the basic couch/seating position for later.

Now it's time for a little geometry. (Ahhh!!! No, it's not that bad.) Start by measuring the width of the screen in inches with a tape measure.

S = screen width (of the viewable area).

After determining this number, compute the distance from the center of the screen to the outside corner by dividing S in half.

C = 1/2 S, or the distance from the center of the screen to the outside edge of the viewable area.

We will need C for our first diagram.

Figure 3.3 shows us the 30 Degree Rule for screen size and seating distance. We will place our seating location so that your eyes do not have to strain outside of the 30 degree viewing angle to see. That way, you will be comfortable watching the presentation, but still get a large screen size for optimal viewing.

Our key variable here is D, or the distance from the center of the screen to the center of the seating location, our ultimate answer.

Therefore, to compute D, we are going to now use the formula that D (distance to screen) = C ( 1/2 the screen width) divided by the tangent of 15 degrees. The tangent of 15 degrees is 0.2679. Or more simply:

D = C/.2679

After you have computed this value for D, that is the optimal seating distance and where your couch or recliner should rest in the room. Now mark that area with a piece of tape.

Note The true distance here is to a person's eyes sitting comfortably in the seating. Therefore, your couch or chair will actually be about 6 inches closer to the video monitor.

Now take a look at the distance. Does a couch seated in this location make sense in the room? If you are watching a smaller monitor, does the distance feel too close and screw up the dynamics of the room? If so, it is acceptable to move the seating back somewhat to better match your room layout. This will decrease the impact of the screen, but you must decide whether you are interested in the best possible picture or a room that works aesthetically.

However, don't start moving the seating forward unless you really have to! Generally, this is the worst option and will hinder video resolution (you can start to see the pixels on the screen), cripple audio response as you'll see in a minute, and compress the room's overall look and feel. Only on very large screens of 60" diagonal and up do you have some play to move the seating slightly forward because you already have such a large image. If you have to, try it out first, and see whether you can tell the difference. If so, try not to move the seating up.

Copied from a book on setting up home theatre by Gareth M. de Bruyn and Cub Karabian

Gonna post the image later.

Here optimum viewing angle is mentioned as 30 degree.

I watch a lot of SD on my 50inches V20 and it looks wonderful, no problem at all. Yes, I do agree for SD you do need more distance but investing in a tv is long term, something we don't change all the time. Buy a 32inches and regret it later or get a 42 and thank yourself for it. Also keep in mind HD content is on the rise unless you want to enjoy HD on a 32inch, I strongly suggest 42inches. If you want the technical data, here goes:

TV Size : 42inches
Distance : 6ft

current viewing angle : 28.5 deg
Max recommended viewing distance : 15.8ft
Max THX viewing distance : 6.6ft (26 deg viewing angle)
Recommended THX viewing distance : 4.7ft (36 deg viewing angle)

Viewing Distance based on Visual Activity
Max viewing distance for SD (480p/576p) : 14.6ft
Max Viewing distance for HDTV (1080i) : 5.5ft

-Maximum and Recommended THX viewing distances: THX also publishes standards for movie theaters to adhere to for THX certification. THX requires that the back row of seats in a theater have at least a 26 degree viewing angle and recommends a 36 degree viewing angle.

source : thx.com

I watch a lot of SD on my 50inches V20 and it looks wonderful, no problem at all. Yes, I do agree for SD you do need more distance but investing in a tv is long term, something we don't change all the time. Buy a 32inches and regret it later or get a 42 and thank yourself for it. Also keep in mind HD content is on the rise unless you want to enjoy HD on a 32inch, I strongly suggest 42inches. If you want the technical data, here goes:

TV Size : 42inches
Distance : 6ft

current viewing angle : 28.5 deg
Max recommended viewing distance : 15.8ft
Max THX viewing distance : 6.6ft (26 deg viewing angle)
Recommended THX viewing distance : 4.7ft (36 deg viewing angle)

Viewing Distance based on Visual Activity
Max viewing distance for SD (480p/576p) : 14.6ft
Max Viewing distance for HDTV (1080i) : 5.5ft

-Maximum and Recommended THX viewing distances: THX also publishes standards for movie theaters to adhere to for THX certification. THX requires that the back row of seats in a theater have at least a 26 degree viewing angle and recommends a 36 degree viewing angle.

Hi aakashr,

Can you tell me what is the viewing distance that you have at your home for your 50 inches TV watching SD content. It might help me as i am verge in the upgrading to 50" Plasma from 32" LCD. I had lil confusion if 50" might be too big for a room size of 14 feet (L) by 11 feet(B).

What according to you can be the min & Max distance for a 50" TV for watching SD content.

Thanks a lot juxt4kix, aakashr and lake1988! :)

More details: I am not going to mount the TV on the wall (Sounds dumb yes. But the house is structured that way and I cannot find a place to mount the TV and view it). I am going to keep it on a stand and the viewing distance can be extended to 8 feet max. Also, for that to happen, the TV has to be placed in a corner. Hence, I will view it at an angle (TV forms one side of a triangle when placed against the wall in the corner, hope you get it). Considering all this, still Plasma?

Also, please suggest good LCD/LED TVs for the budget I have mentioned guys! I will checkout both plasma and LCD and come to a conclusion regarding the size issue!

Hi aakashr,

Can you tell me what is the viewing distance that you have at your home for your 50 inches TV watching SD content. It might help me as i am verge in the upgrading to 50" Plasma from 32" LCD. I had lil confusion if 50" might be too big for a room size of 14 feet (L) by 11 feet(B).

What according to you can be the min & Max distance for a 50" TV for watching SD content.

I have 2 calculations for you.......one is a basic one and the other is more specific to THX standards.

TV Size : 50inches
480p (720x480) : 15ft
720p (1280x720) : 10ft
1080p (1920x1080) : 7ft

SMPTE Maximum recommended viewing distance (30 deg) : 6.8ft
THX Maximum recommended viewing distance (26 deg) : 7.9ft
THX recommended viewing distance (36 deg) : 5.6ft

The general consensus is to go with a viewing angle between 30-36 deg. I watch SD on my 50inches at a distance of 8ft without any noise or pixelation. The tv does an excellent job of processing SD signals. My room size is similar to yours.....10x13ft. It's been over a year now since I have the tv and now I wish I had even got a bigger one.

As you can see above ideally you want a distance in the range of 12-15ft for SD, but let me assure you that even from a distance of 8ft on my tv it looks perfect.

If room size permits I would have 2 locations for seating.....one for SD and one for HD, that would be the best way to do it.

Thanks a lot juxt4kix, aakashr and lake1988! :)

More details: I am not going to mount the TV on the wall (Sounds dumb yes. But the house is structured that way and I cannot find a place to mount the TV and view it). I am going to keep it on a stand and the viewing distance can be extended to 8 feet max. Also, for that to happen, the TV has to be placed in a corner. Hence, I will view it at an angle (TV forms one side of a triangle when placed against the wall in the corner, hope you get it). Considering all this, still Plasma?

Also, please suggest good LCD/LED TVs for the budget I have mentioned guys! I will checkout both plasma and LCD and come to a conclusion regarding the size issue!
If you are going to keep the TV on a rack and diagonally across the corner of the room, then I will suggest 32". The larger TV will be too obtrusive and it will have to come a lot in front. So there is a chance of accidental shoves and pushes. The 32" can be pushed much further back to the corner.

Flat panels should ideally be parallel to the wall.

If you are going to keep the TV on a rack and diagonally across the corner of the room, then I will suggest 32". The larger TV will be too obtrusive and it will have to come a lot in front. So there is a chance of accidental shoves and pushes. The 32" can be pushed much further back to the corner.

Flat panels should ideally be parallel to the wall.

go with 42.............even if you have to mount the tv on the ceiling!!! You don't realize but a 32 will never satisfy you the way a 42inch will. Let me explain........once again:

According to THX Certified Professionals, most consumers regret going too small with their TV purchase. Think about it. Are you happy with the TV size you picked out? Do you dream at night about that 50-inch THX Certified, Panasonic Plasma-beauty that you left behind at Best Buy?

Choosing the appropriate size TV size for your home comes down to seating distancehow far you sit from the screen. If you buy a massive TV and sit three feet away, youre going to be staring at pixels and lines. If you buy one thats too small, you wont get an immersive visual experience in your living room.

To determine the best seat-to-screen distance in your room, THX recommends dividing the diagonal screen by .84. For example, a plasma or LCD TV with a 65-inch screen divided by .84 equals a 77-inch viewing distance (6.5 feet). This should create a 40-degree viewing angle from your main seating position filling your line of sight with the best visuals possible.

i am comfy in 4 metre also in front of 40"LEd all resolutions , so much calculation is not needed .
remember if there is a normal STB only take 32inch , the bigger TVs need more refined source signal and the else pixel blocks will be visible .

Or remember u need to spend 500+ on STB bills for feeding HD to 40incher

Guys. mostly settling in on a 32" (I would to buy a 42" , but room is small and cannot mount the TV on the wall). considering a budget of 34k, which brand/model would you recommend?

Last edited:
Hi guys. an update.

so after much analysis (thanks to you guys!) and showroom hopping, finally came down to two choices,

1. Samsung 32EH5000
2. Samsung 42" E470 plasma ( I tried getting Panasonic plasma TVs within my budget, which is ~35k, but was not able to find it anywhere! As a result, considering Samsung now!)

The 32EH5000 that I saw was pretty good. But noticed a small issue. I noticed that when a 1080p video is played from an USB drive, the video is staggered. That is, I can see a few frames dropped (not sure if this is the best way to describe it, but I hope you get the drift). The refresh rate of the TV is 60 hz (If I am not wrong). Is this phenomenon because of the refresh rate? Or is this normal. ?

Also, is the refresh rate too low for watching sports on tata sky HD? please advice.

Regarding the Samsung e470, I was pretty impressed overall. But read from a post here mentioning that it has USB play issues. Is this TV recommended considering the fact that Panasonic plasma TVs are unavailable for my budget?

Thanks !

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back