Yamaha A S501 or Marantz PM 6005

ISO

I know this topic is beaten to death. But I would like to know following...

1.which one is more suitable to bright speaker?

2. Which one is more musical at very low volumes?

My liking is clear upper high frequencies but should be smooth. Also I dislike boomy bass that overpowers mid range or male/female singers voice.

For bright speakers, marantz would fit.
For low volume i think marantz would be fine.
I have the Yamaha AS500.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

I know this topic is beaten to death. But I would like to know following...

1.which one is more suitable to bright speaker?

2. Which one is more musical at very low volumes?

My liking is clear upper high frequencies but should be smooth. Also I dislike boomy bass that overpowers mid range or male/female singers voice.

PM6005 is perfect match for all your points in below 50K range.

I had a marantz pm 6005, I had to open up the volume quite a bit with my Dali zensor 3 speakers. Now I sold that and got a Sr6009. In my opinion it's more powerful than the pm6005 stereo. This is a subjective view, please note.

Rave reviews about pm6005 however I didn't like it all that much . No idea about the Yamaha. My view is on the pm6005 personally.

And btw don't be fooled. The pm6006 brand new is released now and the 6005 is no more. That costs about 32k approx. No idea about the 6006 review or music wise. Just letting you know that prices for the pm6005 are being overhyped since it's not available anymore.

Thanks for sharing your views.

The PM6006 is an upgraded successor of the multi-award-winning PM6005. We've retained the pre-amp and power-amp sections that exclusively feature discrete components - not a single IC in sight of the signal path. The PM6006 is upgraded for peak current at the amplifier stage, which makes it possible to refine the sound for you in much more detail.

Off course PM6006 would be better choice as per the quote.

Regarding price it almost same that of Yamaha Bahrain.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was wondering which DAC you use for AS 500'
Schiit modi multibit.

I had started with fiio d03k, then schiit modi , and now the multibit version.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

DSD i dont think it supports.
FLAC is more of on the player side, so yes it will work. Though I use it via apple airplay and it plays ALAC instead of FLAC.

Sent from Note5

DSD i dont think it supports.
FLAC is more of on the player side, so yes it will work. Though I use it via apple airplay and it plays ALAC instead of FLAC.

Sent from Note5

Thanks again. Are u using apple airport express for the airplay?

Yes that's right. I use apple airport express, but important point to note is the Oldest G version of airport express is the best. I also have the latest version and i had listened to it for 15 minutes and its lying in the cupboard.
Most people have heard apple using the latest version and they have rejected it... no wonder.
And not many people have heard via the oldest G version and that's why they have disregarded apple altogether, sadly.

Sent from Note5

Yes that's right. I use apple airport express, but important point to note is the Oldest G version of airport express is the best. I also have the latest version and i had listened to it for 15 minutes and its lying in the cupboard.
Most people have heard apple using the latest version and they have rejected it... no wonder.
And not many people have heard via the oldest G version and that's why they have disregarded apple altogether, sadly.

Sent from Note5

But I read in some review that new version do better in the jitter department than old one through optical out.

Actually there are two reviews on net. The first review is important...it clearly says / in between the lines, that old model is the best. The G version. I have both and have heard both. There is no doubt, oldest is the best. Its hard to find however.

Sent from Note5

Regarding your doubt that optical is better in latest version, the thing is even optical is inherently dependent on the DAC inside. The optical output is nothing but a signature output of the DAC. So if DAC is better, the timing and jitter will be better and therefore all this data of timing and audio samples will be better in the optical out.

I have tested both via optical and audio out of both the airport express, and the oldest one wins.

Sent from Note5

Regarding your doubt that optical is better in latest version, the thing is even optical is inherently dependent on the DAC inside. The optical output is nothing but a signature output of the DAC. So if DAC is better, the timing and jitter will be better and therefore all this data of timing and audio samples will be better in the optical out.

I have tested both via optical and audio out of both the airport express, and the oldest one wins.

Sent from Note5

I beg to differ. DAC come in to picture only when you take analog audio out.

Optical out sends exact replica of the input digital stream received unlike apple TV which converts sample rate.

Well that's debatable ofcourse. I had this long doubt that optical out has to be perfect, irrespective of any transport/player/airport express.

But i am now fully convinced with my experiments that even optical out is dependent on the transport. We may call it dependent on the firmware of the transport or the DAC chip of the transport.

Sent from Note5

Last edited:
Well that's debatable ofcourse. I had this long doubt that optical out has to be perfect, irrespective of any transport/player/airport express.

But i am now fully convinced with my experiments that even optical out is dependent on the transport. We may call it dependent on the firmware of the transport or the DAC chip of the transport.

Sent from Note5

Point noted however optical out itself is not perfect for receiving digital audio as it is synchronous transfer and quality of audio highly depends upon clock accuracy.

USB transfer is best in this regard as it do not depend upon sender's clock.

That is why I'm leaning towards Yamaha A S801 or more costlier Marantz PM 7005 which has USB DAC.

Back