Yamaha AV Vs Denon

vikram_kp

Hi, i am new to AV receiver and looking for guidance on choosing the right A/V & SPKR. i went thorugh multiple threads and thoroughly got confused. appreciate guidance & thanking in anticipation.My requirement:
- Room size - 10 x 18 ft
- Budget - A/V - 30-35K, SPKR Package - 30 - 35K
- A/V wanted to choose between RX-V565/665 (or) Denon 1610/1910
- Usage - 70% Music, 30% movie
- SPKR - Paradigm CT90 (or) equivalent

VKP

Hi,

Yamaha XX5 series do not seem to have gained much of reputation, as the xx3 series did. I previously owned a Yammy 359 and it was doing a wonderful job before I replaced it with denon 2310 and 790 (same as 1910). Now, I must admit that I have become a fan of Denon AVRs. Denon 1910 seems to be a clear winner and lot of our forum member own this. It has got some awards as well.

Also, it has got a good upscaling chipset and has features like Dolby IIz supporting front height channels, etc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Hope denon 1910 has all fetures of Rx665. how about 1610 as compared to rx665? does it have all features? how about denon's realiability and support?

Hope denon 1910 has all fetures of Rx665. how about 1610 as compared to rx665? does it have all features? how about denon's realiability and support?

Denon 1610 will be much better for ur needs.It has all the major ingredients:

(1) 3 HDMI 1.3a inputs & OSD via HDMI out.

(2) Full HD audio decoding, including Dolby TrueHD + DTS-MA decoding.

(3) Analog to digital video conversion, but no scaling. (so you can run one HDMI cable to your TV for all sources)

(4) Full "Audyssey suite" of MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.(yamaha only have YPAO i.e similar to dynamic EQ)

(5) No problem in passing BTB and WTW info (which earlier models of yamaha had like rxv663, not sure about 665/565)

(6) Stable 75W power supply i.e stable current for low noise and punch for movies.

(7) Has a full bandwidth 20hz -20khz, 8 ohms, THD @ 0.08% ( as compared to 1khz,8 ohms THD @ 0.9% of yamaha 665/565), good recievers have a THD values much below 0.1%, so denon is much better.

(8) Can be expanded to 7.1 using the "Rear/Height" pre-outs to add an
external amplifier.

con's:- Denon 1610 doen't have multichannel inputs, no upconversion to 1080p, manual is quite confusing( you may use this guide BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY)

The 1910 is very similar and built on the same platform / chassis. They have

similar amp sections, identical processing and DAC's, etc, but have 7.1, 90W

x 7 amplification(1610 is only 5.1, 75W, but can be expanded to 7.1 using

the "Rear/Height" pre-outs to add an external amplifier) , better ANCHOR BAY

VRS upscaling upto 1080p ( no scaling in 1610), has 2-zone/2-source

capability (no multizone on 1610), has two switched power outlets on the

back(none on 1610), have multichannel inputs(1610 have none).

SUPPORT of denon is good with PROFX, as far as i have come to know through this forum.

Experienced forum members like venkatcr, have already auditioned 1610/1910 and found them little harsh on the sound front and termed the new Yamahas 665/565 as total "TRASH/CRAP"

BUT FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE: Believe in what you hear/see, have faith on ur ears/eyes and audition them properly, you yourself is the ultimate judge.:)

Regards

Last edited:
Denon 1610 will be much better for ur needs.It has all the major ingredients:

(1) 3 HDMI 1.3a inputs & OSD via HDMI out.

(2) Full HD audio decoding, including Dolby TrueHD + DTS-MA decoding.

(3) Analog to digital video conversion, but no scaling. (so you can run one HDMI cable to your TV for all sources)

(4) Full "Audyssey suite" of MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.(yamaha only have YPAO i.e similar to dynamic EQ)

(5) No problem in passing BTB and WTW info (which earlier models of yamaha had like rxv663, not sure about 665/565)

(6) Stable 75W power supply i.e stable current for low noise and punch for movies.

(7) Has a full bandwidth 20hz -20khz, 8 ohms, THD @ 0.08% ( as compared to 1khz,8 ohms THD @ 0.9% of yamaha 665/565), good recievers have a THD values much below 0.1%, so denon is much better.

(8)con's:- Denon 1610 doen't have multichannel inputs, no upconversion to 1080p, manual is quite confusing( you may use this guide BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY)

The 1910 is very similar and built on the same platform / chassis. They have similar amp sections, identical processing and DAC's, etc, but have 7.1, 90W x 7 amplification(1610 is only 5.1, 75W) , better ANCHOR BAY VRS upscaling upto 1080p( no scaling in 1610), has 2-zone/2-source capability (no multizone on 1610), has two switched power outlets on the back(none on 1610), have multichannel inputs(1610 have none)

SUPPORT of denon is good with PROFX, as far as i have come to know through this forum.

Experienced forum members like venkatcr, have already auditioned 1610/1910 and found them harsh on the sound front.

BUT FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE: Believe in what you hear/see, have faith on ur ears/eyes and audition them properly, you yourself is the ultimate judge.:)

Experienced forum members like venkatcr, have already auditioned 1610/1910 and found them harsh sounding.

Regards

+1 for the above. Regarding the harshness, pairing it with speakers like wharfdale and jamo would take care of this problem.

Cheers!

Yamaha is better than denon. I am using RX series for the past 1 1/2 years. I am absolutely happy about it performance. I listenend to Denon in my friend's place. My vote goes to yamaha only. Better you try to have a demo on both and decide after hearing.:)

Yamaha is better than denon. I am using RX series for the past 1 1/2 years. I am absolutely happy about it performance. I listenend to Denon in my friend's place. My vote goes to yamaha only. Better you try to have a demo on both and decide after hearing.:)

hi, which model are you using? Actually, we are discussing about RX-xx5 series and Denon 1910. Rx-xx3 series AVRs were best known for their performance, but the review on 5 series are not as good as Denon 1910.

Cheers!

hi, which model are you using? Actually, we are discussing about RX-xx5 series and Denon 1910. Rx-xx3 series AVRs were best known for their performance, but the review on 5 series are not as good as Denon 1910.

Cheers!

+1 to that.

I am also using a Yamaha Amp for the past 8 long years and fully satisfied till now.

but u can't rate every Amp series from the same company as equal.

for example:

what hifi ,have given full five stars for denon 1910 but four stars for AVR 3310, even when both are 2010 models.

plz read carefully before posting, it can confuse others.

thanks

Last edited:
Cureently I am using yamaha RX-V663. My friend is using Denon 1910. Speaker setup is same.

Dynaudio Audience 72 FS, Audience 122C center speaker, Q accoustics soround Speaker, Polk 500w Sub-woofer

hi,

Hey, 663 is the clear award winner, and should not be compared to denon 1610, even Denon 1910.

Even I bought Denon 1910/2310, due to the nonavailability of 663 and 863.

But 565/665/765 do not have good reviews as 663/863 and have less power.

No doubt that 663 is the best all-rounder!

Cheers!

Every yr new champ comes.

3 yr back Onkyo AVR were leading,Last yr Yamaha 663/863 were best & currently Denon 1910/2310.
Looking @ performance we have to select current the products as earlier models are unavailable.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back