Yamaha AVR and Dolby Digital 5.1,Dolby Prologic II

amitshah55

Hi,

Yamaha RX V 371 does not have Dolby prologic II decoder and Yamaha RX V373 does not have a Dolby Digital 5.1. Does it matter much ?

Thanks in Advance

Dolby prologic II is a very old technology and is not much relevant today. You will not miss it a lot.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is still relevant. A large number of movies (specially apna desi movies) still have Dolby 5.1 soundtrack.

Hi,

Yamaha RX V 371 does not have Dolby prologic II decoder and Yamaha RX V373 does not have a Dolby Digital 5.1. Does it matter much ?

Thanks in Advance

Yamaha RX V373 - has Dolby True HD -- so it will cecode Dolby - digital 5.1 right?? EXPERTS PLEASE HELP...

also It decoded DTS HD MA but basic DTS not mnentioned on site

Yamaha RX V373 - has Dolby True HD -- so it will cecode Dolby - digital 5.1 right?? EXPERTS PLEASE HELP...

also It decoded DTS HD MA but basic DTS not mnentioned on site

The AVR does decode all old gen and new gen formats. It is after all backwards compatible when it comes to these.
I have tried and tested the AVR with Dolby True HD,Dolby digital plus, Dolby digital 5.1, DTS HD MA,DTS High res, DTS 5.1 and a host of DSPs !

All new gen AVRs bought should decode all these.

Hope this helps!

+1. All new AVRs support DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 and HD audio. Dolby Prologic is also present in almost all AVRs. Even if it is not present, other kinds of DSPs are available to convert two channel audio to 5.1.

The AVR does decode all old gen and new gen formats. It is after all backwards compatible when it comes to these.
I have tried and tested the AVR with Dolby True HD,Dolby digital plus, Dolby digital 5.1, DTS HD MA,DTS High res, DTS 5.1 and a host of DSPs !

All new gen AVRs bought should decode all these.

Hope this helps!
Thanks
Yes , logically it should be...
but you never know -- btw normally while writing features ALL posiblre features are mentioned , sometimes features are " derived" out of thin air after product is made ( ask me I was product manager for some time!!):eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
first time seeing lesser features mentioned!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

It is after all backwards compatible when it comes to these.

Hi VJ, just want to correct you here.

These formats are NOT backward compatible.

Besides, Dolby Prologic II does not need decoding. Rather it is synthesis of virtual channels mathematically from two main channels. It was created to provide a simulated surround sound from stereo sources.

Hi VJ, just want to correct you here.

These formats are NOT backward compatible.

Besides, Dolby Prologic II does not need decoding. Rather it is synthesis of virtual channels mathematically from two main channels. It was created to provide a simulated surround sound from stereo sources.

Oh sure, I meant that the new gen AVRs are backward compatible when it comes to decoding DD, DTS 5.1 as primarily they are positioned for HD audio.

Hi VJ, experts,

Is it worth buying Yamaha 373 @ $200 in US ? am I getting a good deal on this? just wondering if you would suggest any other AVR in 200-350 USD range. I would like to get this back to India next month. Is it worth the effort? please advice. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Ravi

How are you importing this ? AVR cost 11000 (200 X 55) +Customs approx 2500+transport atleast 5000 = 18500 ... and V373 india price shud be 21000 ... so u dont save a lot here..... a lot depends on how you are importing .......because transportation costs are huge....

@ amitshah55, mshifi

Thanks for the response. I am currently in US and planning to get AVR along with me as part of check-in luggage. Sorry could not reply earlier due to work pressure

going little OT,

I am also looking at Sony DH-830 which seems to have up-scaling feature also at $300. Just wondering if it would be a good buy. Have not seen many people buying sony SVRs though

Thanks
Ravi

i recently purchased V 371 @ 189 USD.. for which indian price is 18500. so V 373 @ 200USD is not a bad deal. You save approx 7000 even if you were to pay customs. However if you can bring speakers in place of receiver or both ...your return ticket will be free..

Thank you Amit for the response.

zeroed in on Sony SVR DH830. This has all the features of DN1030 except networking. Did have a coupon to spend. Got it at a price of $225 :yahoo:

Amazon.com: Sony STRDH830 Sony 3D 7.1 Channel A/V Receivers(): Electronics

I truly want to get the speakers also with me, but the only possible way is to add this as an extra luggage during check-in($200/baggage), it would also attract customs easily.

Im also looking at options like ishopinternational/aramex, but the cost seems to be going upwards at which I can get it in India itself.

Appreciate any suggestions/inputs on importing the speakers too

Thanks in advance

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back