Yamaha AVR owners thread

Santy

It looks like we have quite a no. of members in the Yamaha family now. Why not a dedicated thread to discuss the features and performance, reviews and impressions, modes and settings, cost and availability, queries and worries etc..

y671.jpg

yamaha_rx-v671_4s.jpg

Here goes the first query:

-I bought my AVR from an authorised Yamaha dealer in Mumbai.
The box has a sticker which says For sale in Indonesia market only.
Why it is so? Will there be any issues with the warranty?

DSC04371b.jpg

And the second one.
-I can understand the direct mode cannot have sub output but anyway of getting the sub working in 2 ch Stereo mode?

Last one for now.
-After running YPAO, there was an error with subwoofer settings. Do not remember what was it, most probably level error. The sub levels were auto set at -6db eventhough the volume knob on the sub was only at 40%. Any suggestions?

Mav & later me joining the club.I will inform all that I have one doubt with Yamaha RX-V671 asian model.It is underpowered than US one.
I can say that because manual says that.I heard both & decided to go for old 667 which has still demand(like *63 series).

See the manual of RX-V671,it says US power consumption is 400w,asian 330w only,others 330w-

Where as RX-V667 consumes 400W in both models-

RX-V663 has more power than RX-V667-

Last edited:
And the second one.
-I can understand the direct mode cannot have sub output but anyway of getting the sub working in 2 ch Stereo mode?

Turn on Extra Bass in Speaker configuration. You can have the sub working in Straight/ 2 ch stereo mode.

Last one for now.
-After running YPAO, there was an error with subwoofer settings. Do not remember what was it, most probably level error. The sub levels were auto set at -6db eventhough the volume knob on the sub was only at 40%. Any suggestions?

Same thing happened to me. YPAO also calculated my SW to be at 28 feet, while it is 10 feet away from listening position. I manually increased the sub level to 0.0 and it is fine for me.

YPAO also calculated my SW to be at 28 feet, while it is 10 feet away from listening position. I manually increased the sub level to 0.0 and it is fine for me.

How much should be sub volume as the time of Auto setup?
The distance may be calculated on the basis of that.

Mav & later me joining the club.I will inform all that I have one doubt with Yamaha RX-V671 asian model.It is underpowered than US one.
I can say that because manual says that.I heard both & decided to go for old 667 which has still demand(like *63 series).

See the manual of RX-V671,it says US power consumption is 400w,asian 330w only,others 330w

This is confusing for sure. They mention any specs it seems without verification with technical team. They are yet to respond to my query on the confusion with DTS-HD-MA support. One officer from Gurgaon called me and agreed there is some confusion but yet to respond formally.

Turn on Extra Bass in Speaker configuration. You can have the sub working in Straight/ 2 ch stereo mode.
Thanks. Will try that.
Same thing happened to me. YPAO also calculated my SW to be at 28 feet, while it is 10 feet away from listening position. I manually increased the sub level to 0.0 and it is fine for me.

But in my case the distance calculation was accurate. Only level setting was autoset to the least possible volume on avr. Anyway I have manually changed it, so nothing to worry. Another setting I changed back to default is the equilisation. Though not a big difference, I found the YPO Flat mode to be rather weak.

Last edited:

Ideally speaking, it shouldn't matter since the YPAO should be adjusting the levels on AVR automatically based on the loudness of the sub.

YPAO also calculated my SW to be at 28 feet, while it is 10 feet away from listening position. I manually increased the sub level to 0.0 and it is fine for me.

Got this from Bluray forum,

Auto calibration programs such as Audyssey or YPAO do not measure speaker/subwoofer distances. They actually measure the signal delay. For the main speakers this delay calculation usually results in actual physical distances. But, subwoofers have filters in them that delay the signal more. So, this is equivalent to the subwoofer being further away. It is quite normal to see longer distances reported for the subwoofer.

This delay consist of:
The time it takes for sound to travel in the air to the microphone.
The electrical delay in the signal inside the subwoofer:
Any type of filter in the sub introduces delay.
Any type of DSP processing in the subwoofer introduces delay.
The interaction of the woofer and the port in in a subwoofer can also cause problems. This interaction can also cause polarity reversal warnings.

Because of these delays, it is quite normal to see longer distances reported for the subwoofer. You should leave it as the auto calibration program found it.

this is a wonderful initiative. We can thrash out whatever problems we might face at one place.

Its been 4 days that I have been using the AVR and so far I thinnkk this is one of the smartest decisions I have ever made :)

Okay now here is my 'silly' query- how do I play my AVR in standby mode? I have connected my PC to the AVR as a result of which the AVR is always on even when I am not playing music/movies. Whats the smartest way to keep the power consumption at the lowest and also to ensure that the AVR doesnt burn out as its on for around 12 hours a day?

this is a wonderful initiative. We can thrash out whatever problems we might face at one place.

Its been 4 days that I have been using the AVR and so far I thinnkk this is one of the smartest decisions I have ever made :)

Okay now here is my 'silly' query- how do I play my AVR in standby mode? I have connected my PC to the AVR as a result of which the AVR is always on even when I am not playing music/movies. Whats the smartest way to keep the power consumption at the lowest and also to ensure that the AVR doesnt burn out as its on for around 12 hours a day?

Play in standby mode?What is your requirement?In standby mode it can only paas video & not audio without processing.

Play in standby mode?What is your requirement?In standby mode it can only paas video & not audio without processing.

I want the video to pass through to the monitor so whats the route for that. Is there some way I can bypass the AVR or use it at its lowest power requirement? And how do I activate the standby mode? :) hope it doesnt sound too ignorant but I havent been able to find any answer from the manual !

Go to Setup --> HDMI and turn Standy Through on.

yamaharxv667hdmisettingsmenu.jpg

Standby Through: Here is another very practical feature. This allows you to access your HDMI source components on your TV, even if the RX-V667 is in standby mode. This way you can watch and listen to your HDMI source components on your TV even if you do not want to turn the RX-V667 on.

In addition, for HDMI 3D pass through, nothing needs to be set as the RX-V667 will detect 3D signals automatically and pass them through to a 3D-enabled TV without further processing.

Taken from about.com.

naimesh
Welcome to the club
I guess you have still not tried the speaker level input.
Keep low volume on your AVR and the sub
Connect the front speaker output (both L & R) on AVR to the "speaker level" in on your sub
Let us know if it works.

But before that make sure you are playing 5.1 movies? When you play, check the display on the AVR. 5 boxes will light up (FL, FR, C, SW, SL, SR), which means all speakers are playing.

naimesh, try to feed any signal like a song from your dvd player or mobile phone directly to the sub's RCA inputs and check whether the sub works. If it didn't then I'm afraid to say you need to take it for service.

naimesh
Welcome to the club
I guess you have still not tried the speaker level input.
Keep low volume on your AVR and the sub
Connect the front speaker output (both L & R) on AVR to the "speaker level" in on your sub
Let us know if it works.

But before that make sure you are playing 5.1 movies? When you play, check the display on the AVR. 5 boxes will light up (FL, FR, C, SW, SL, SR), which means all speakers are playing.
WOW....Its working...Thanks a lot....I am so much relieved...
now what?
should i get better cable or what?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back