YAMAHA HTR-3066 distorted noise sound in centre speaker

RAVINDRA SONAWANE

I have YAMAHA HTR-3066 receiver. Now my receiver giving distorted noise sound (no music) in centre speaker, other four speakers with low noise and music sound.. When I check self diagnosis it shows everything OK. Speaker testing shows good sound signal in self diagnosis mode. But problem is not solved. Pl. help me to solve this problem.

1. Check any one of your speaker is damaged by chance ,specifically center speaker. Remove only center speaker and check other speakers. If all plays fine then your center speaker is a culprit. Do remove each speaker one by one and check other speakers.
  2. Check the wiring is intact for all speakers/ Disconnect all and connect speakers again.
  3. Check the each Speaker sound by going to Speaker->SP setting , and increase DB,decrease DB , check the same sound level is heard in all speakers.
  4. Check the source media connection is intact
  5. Does your receiver display DD /5.1 tags for the movie appropriately.
  6. Check the Audio mode in receiver is set correctly. So it does not override the default source media settings
  7. If all above steps does not help , Do factory reset in receiver and do the settings from scratch.

Last edited:
I have YAMAHA HTR-3066 receiver. Now my receiver giving distorted noise sound (no music) in centre speaker, other four speakers with low noise and music sound.. When I check self diagnosis it shows everything OK. Speaker testing shows good sound signal in self diagnosis mode. But problem is not solved. Pl. help me to solve this problem.

This is quite an old model and the distorted noise coming could be signs of failing components on the motherboard / circuit board of the AVR. Everything comes with a shelf life and nothing lasts forever.

Not everything is made in Japan to last and hence it makes sense to upgrade AVR every 3-5 years depending on the condition / features. Since things are expensive post Covid, it makes sense to look at the pre owned market like classifieds / OLX and see something that meets your requirements.

I have checked every possibilities. In self diagnosis mode software checks every speaker one by one and signal tone is clear without distorted noise. But even after resetting to factory reset problem does not solves. I think problem is in main pcb. Can I get that PCB in market? From where I get that PCB (YF321 (ZF33880)).

Want to sell this AV receiver in this (centre speaker has distorted sound in normal switch on mode, but in self diagnosis switch on mode there is no distorted sound in centre speaker) condition. How much I will get for it?

Pls try interchanging one of the speakers to the center channel and see if it distorts.

Want to sell this AV receiver in this (centre speaker has distorted sound in normal switch on mode, but in self diagnosis switch on mode there is no distorted sound in centre speaker) condition. How much I will get for it?
Connect one of the Front speakers to the center channel and see if it is also distorted. What is your Source? Try to use a different cable to connect the source to the receiver.

MaSh

There is no problem in centre speaker. Source is USB. Also tested changing speaker wire. Self diagnosis test sound is perfect for all speakers.

Self diagnosis will bypass all DSP or processing I think. Could you try to use pure direct mode, which switches of all processing.

There is no problem in centre speaker. Source is USB. Also tested changing speaker wire. Self diagnosis test sound is perfect for all speakers.
Okay so the issue is the receiver you say? Speakers are all fine. USB Cable is fine? Can you try another source?

I think you should start looking for a new receiver as you say there is slight distortion in other channels also. So looks like it is dying a slow death in my opinion.

MaSh

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back