Yamaha R-N803 OR NAD C 388

Kairos

Hello Friends, Please help me to choose between Yamaha R-N803 OR NAD C 388. My brother loves music ( mostly western classical & Rock ) and his birthday is about a month away so I'm planning to gift one of these to him. He owns a pair of Mission VX-4s and I believe either of these amps should go well. What do you think ? Which one's better as connectivity from a variety of sources is the key hence I narrowed down on these two. Please help.

I guess these are at different price points

Does this help ?

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/12/review-nad-c388/

Best is to audition...

Other members can have valuable first hand feedback too..

Have you heard these at a store near you ?
Thanks , I did go through this review and liked it. You're correct about the price , it's more than double but still in terms of audio quality and power they're close , hence the choice.

Make your own choice by listening to them. That way your chances of liking the product is more.

Specs can be deceiving

To be honest, the new nad isn't even close to those models on which the nad name was made. On paper they look good, but practically speaking horribly weak in performance. My vote goes to the Yamaha.

To be honest, the new nad isn't even close to those models on which the nad name was made. On paper they look good, but practically speaking horribly weak in performance. My vote goes to the Yamaha.
Thanks , I was able to audition the Yamaha yesterday and I liked it too but NAD wasn't available .

Make your own choice by listening to them. That way your chances of liking the product is more.

Specs can be deceiving
Agree, I was hoping to hear from anyone who owns or has heard a NAD 388 .

Thanks , I was able to audition the Yamaha yesterday and I liked it too but NAD wasn't available .
Kairos

IMO.. Decision done

Yamaha sounds good to you
Costs less

NAD.. Too bad if not audition. Bcoz its costlier..

Good luck !

Regards

Kairos

IMO.. Decision done

Costs less

Good luck !

Regards

RN 803 Comes with a digital room correction Software YPAO, it's the only Stereo Amp in that price range to come with digital room correction, a nifty feature for untreated rooms ; which Nad C388 does not.

Sorry, I haven't heard C388 but in spite of owning two NAD Amps in the past/now and liking NAD sound signature, still in this case ; My vote goes to Yamaha RN 803 As well!

Kairos

IMO.. Decision done

Costs less

Good luck !

RN 803 Comes with a digital room correction Software YPAO, it's the only Stereo Amp in that price range to come with digital room correction, a nifty feature for untreated rooms ; which Nad C388 does not.

Sorry, I haven't heard C388 but in spite of owning two NAD Amps in the past/now and liking NAD sound signature, still in this case ; My vote goes to Yamaha RN 803 As well!
I want to go with Yamaha RN 803 too but came across this review on whathifi which says that <quote> " there’s a slightly concerning lack of coherence to the sound – rather than one man singing and playing, there’s the suggestion of two performers doing their thing quite independently." </quote>
Honestly , I couldn't tell the difference but my brother listens to a lot of western classical and might be able to spot it. Let me wait for a week or two and see if I could get hold of a NAD C388 to audition. Thanks all for your suggestions.

A few questions to FMs.Request your inputs if possible.
Can you share how effective the room correction tool is on RN 803.
is there a difference between RN803D and RN803 ? Or it's just a Europe and Rest of world nomenclature.
Who is distributor for Yamaha stereo HiFi for India ...is it profx Bangalore.Thank You very much.

A few questions to FMs.Request your inputs if possible.
Can you share how effective the room correction tool is on RN 803.
is there a difference between RN803D and RN803 ? Or it's just a Europe and Rest of world nomenclature.
Who is distributor for Yamaha stereo HiFi for India ...is it profx Bangalore.Thank You very much.
I set up the RN803 for my sister, with a pair of my old B&W 685 bookshelf, It is an OK setup, to me it sounds a little bit bassy/muddled with neutral settings, YPAO correction sounded less appealing to the 3-4 people in the room. I would like to run it once more. As of now the YPAO setting are not being used as it was sounding better uncorrected.

I set up the RN803 for my sister, with a pair of my old B&W 685 bookshelf, It is an OK setup, to me it sounds a little bit bassy/muddled with neutral settings, YPAO correction sounded less appealing to the 3-4 people in the room. I would like to run it once more. As of now the YPAO setting are not being used as it was sounding better uncorrected.

Thank you for the candid response.I was thinking that the YPAO is a game changer at this price point and the all in one single box makes it very convenient.

I have been using Yamha RN-602 for 8 months, Apart from connectivity I like it's bass and Phono input. I found nothing difference when I compared it with RN-803 except YPO, rest the same

I have been using Yamha RN-602 for 8 months, Apart from connectivity I like it's bass and Phono input. I found nothing difference when I compared it with RN-803 except YPO, rest the same
That’s a useful observation.Thanks.Looks like the watts and THD are different.

RN 803 . Who is the distributor in India and Bangalore?
Look forward to your review on YPAO.
At this price with 100W/ch,inbuild n/w streaming ,BT atleast in India there are not much options.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back