Yamaha RX-V 471 :: Why Dolby sound better than DTS?

slash1814

Hi Folks,

Contrary to my previous experience of 2 powered DVD players & by virtue of the popular notion that DTS is usually better than Dolby (I know any of them can be better regardless of bit rate), Its the opposite with Yamaha RX-V 471. Anyone has same experience ?

FYI.. I am passing bitstream through a coaxial cable.

I tried "Music" with the following DVDs (in full, not few songs) both (Dolby & DTS)

- Eric Clapton (Live)
- Queen (VDO's 1)
- Genesis (VDO Show & Live Wembley)
- Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing)
- Phil Collins ( VDOS + Live)
- Santana (Live)

"Movies"
- The Mask
- Twister

I feel like DTS is giving me slightly laidback response in the upper-mid & High freq. Soundfiled is not so good.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Contrary to my previous experience of 2 powered DVD players & by virtue of the popular notion that DTS is usually better than Dolby (I know any of them can be better regardless of bit rate), Its the opposite with Yamaha RX-V 471. Anyone has same experience ?

FYI.. I am passing bitstream through a coaxial cable.

I tried "Music" with both (Dolby & DTS)
- Eric Clapton (Live)
- Queen (VDO's 1)
- Genesis (VDO Show & Live Wembley)
- Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing)
- Phil Collins ( VDOS + Live)
- Santana (Live)

"Movies"
- The Mask
- Twister

I feel like DTS is giving me slightly laidback response in the upper-mid & High freq. Soundfiled is not so good.

Regards

+1 to the above, I think I as well ignored it earlier when I brought my 571 model in January. But now that one more FM raised it yes I think I also feel that Dolby sounds superb when compared to DTS for all my downloaded movies. In fact the surround sound output on Dolby is very good, the DTS is very laid back and sometimes I do not feel the sound at all in surround not sure whether the movie was encoded in this way.

I think its due to Yamaha internal circuitry.Onkyo used to sound sharp with DTS & smooth with DD.There used to be a equalizer called "Cinema filter",which used to reduce that harshness in original track.I cant find any option in Yamaha,perhaps its already enabled in Yamaha which can give that effect.

Dolby is usually more refined and smooth. DTS is a little aggressive and more dynamic. DTS recording has slightly more gain giving a feeling that it gives a better sound. DTS has higher bit rate but Dolby appears to have better compression algorithm. It ultimately boils down to personal preference. I prefer Dolby for music videos and DTS for action movies.

Why do i need to select "audio" (Dolby or DTS) from my dvd remote? If I have passed audio from dvd plyr to AVR as bitstream, then rather, i shud be allowed to select "audio" from AVR. Pls enlighten me.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

@Spiro: Is it the case with your 671 too?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

With my 667,DTS tracks need little more volume gain.With DD its not.Again depends on recoding.DD is more dynamic to my ears,better for music,DTS gives aggressive sound.Like I said in Yamaha there is not any special Cinema equalizer like Onkyo.

I repeat my dumb Qn.

"Why do i need to select "audio" (Dolby or DTS) from my dvd remote? If I have passed audio from dvd plyr to AVR as bitstream, then rather, i shud be allowed to select "audio, that is DD or DTS" from AVR itself. Pls enlighten me.

Regards

I repeat my dumb Qn.

"Why do i need to select "audio" (Dolby or DTS) from my dvd remote? If I have passed audio from dvd plyr to AVR as bitstream, then rather, i shud be allowed to select "audio, that is DD or DTS" from AVR itself. Pls enlighten me.

Regards

When you set DVDp,set audio out as Raw/Bitstream.Now some of the DVDs come with multiple audio recording.Say DD & DTS too.I have one Demo disc with both tracks.Default track is played initially.If I want to listen second one,I press Audio on remote to select desired track.Even some has different languages(eg French).So may be that.Your DVDp has to be set correctly.

Audio out is set as "RAW / Bitstream" only. You mean, If both DD & DTS are available then DVD player would read DD or DTS from discrete locations on the disc (Which we select from remote control's audio button) and then passess the same as bitstream to the AVR ?

Audio out is set as "RAW / Bitstream" only. You mean, If both DD & DTS are available then DVD player would read DD or DTS from discrete locations on the disc (Which we select from remote control's audio button) and then passess the same as bitstream to the AVR ?

Yes,player will send default audio first & if you press Audio on remote,then second track will be selected.In case of Bdp,default audio is HD(say DTSMA),if I press audio,then DTs track comes,again I press,next track(Hindi if present on disc)will be played.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back