Yamaha YHT-1840 dilemma.

sim_tcr

I am eyeballing Yamaha YHT-1840 in amazon, if the price come down below 30K I wanted buy it. But before that, I am seeking fellow members opinion.

My current setup is old Creative T6060 5.1 PC homesteader connected Optical to 5.1 analogue DAC. And from the TV optical out is connected to DAC optical IN.
Primary video sources are mainly 4K downloaded movies and Prime video (Currently with my setup 5.1 not working on prime video but only on downloaded movie on Kodi).
TV is Hisense 55inch a71f, it is 4K 60Hz with with HDR and Dolby Vision.
I also have a Xbox Series X.

I am well aware that YHT-1840 can do only 5.1 and has no preouts for channels other than subwoofer. Also it support only up to 4K 60Hz HDR. No Dolby Vision Support too.
I live in rented flat, so don't want to invest anything above 50K.

My main query is,

In future if I have to, Will I be able to connect tower speakers, better center speaker, and book shelf speakers to this AVR directly? (I don't know which model of these speakers right now)

Other question is, Xbox Series X does support Dolby Vision and the AVR don't. So can I connect Xbox Series X directly to TV (any HDMI port, I have three) and take audio out from ARC (HDMI 1 on TV) to AVR?

Overall, is Yamaha YHT-1840 a good package for a beginner in home theatre for next 5 years or so?

Last edited:
I am eyeballing Yamaha YHT-1840 in amazon, if the price come down below 30K I wanted buy it. But before that, I am seeking fellow members opinion.

My current setup is old Creative T6060 5.1 PC homesteader connected Optical to 5.1 analogue DAC. And from the TV optical out is connected to DAC optical IN.
Primary video sources are mainly 4K downloaded movies and Prime video (Currently with my setup 5.1 not working on prime video but only on downloaded movie on Kodi).

I am well aware that YHT-1840 can do only 5.1 and has no preouts for channels other than subwoofer. Also it support only up to 4K 60Hz HDR. No Dolby Vision Support too.

My main query is,

In future if I have to, Will I be able to connect tower speakers, better center speaker, and book shelf speakers to this AVR directly? (I don't know which model of these speakers right now)

Other question is, Xbox Series X does support Dolby Vision and the AVR don't. So can I connect Xbox Series X directly to TV (any HDMI port, I have three) and take audio out from ARC (HDMI 1 on TV) to AVR?

Overall, is Yamaha YHT-1840 a good package for a beginner in home theatre for next 5 years or so?
Yes, you can connect different speakers to the Avr as long as it can supply sufficient power to them.

Yes, you can connect Xbox to the hdmi earc port of the TV directly and then use the arc port to connect the Avr to the TV.

Next 5 years? Who knows?

Yes, you can connect different speakers to the Avr as long as it can supply sufficient power to them.

Yes, you can connect Xbox to the hdmi earc port of the TV directly and then use the arc port to connect the Avr to the TV.

Next 5 years? Who knows?
My tv only got one arc hdmi.
so what you said about Xbox is still possible?

I have both a "proper" HT setup..Pioneer 1020K receiver and Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers..both FS and BS speakers in one floor and I have the Yamaha 1840 in the ground floor. I would say they are not even comparable. Yamahas literature is not even clear if it supports all formats except Atmos and DTSX. No matter what file I play..I get PCM most of the time. Whereas for my 10 year old Pioneer..I get DD Digital or DTS as the case may be. Again if you are going from a sound coming from TV to 1840, you will find improvement. However I would not call it a proper home theater setup.

Again my 1840 was second hand purchase from a member on this forum and hence may have issues. Also I guess in India, it is the only affordable option.

As has been opined many times in this forum - one of the alternatives would be to find a used 5.1 receiver for around 20K and slow add speakers as and when budget permits.

Of course the best option is to ask folks coming from US or Europe to get it for you

My main query is,

HTR 1840 comes with HTR-2071 receiver , this is a 5.1 receiver, so it would not support Dolby Atmos or DTS HD MA 7.1. I have used HTR-2064 in the past and found it to be good enough, but you soon get bitten by the upgrade bug.

Sorry for Hijacking this forum, I myself am looking for a HT with budget of 50k. As the prices increased recently it's been difficult.
Can anyone here share some insights on pre owned htr n speakers? Are they worth it?

Also I am considering buying Yamaha V4A from europe and speakers 5.1 from India. Are there any value for money speakers available in the market for around 30K.

Thanks

Sorry for Hijacking this forum, I myself am looking for a HT with budget of 50k. As the prices increased recently it's been difficult.
Can anyone here share some insights on pre owned htr n speakers? Are they worth it?

Also I am considering buying Yamaha V4A from europe and speakers 5.1 from India. Are there any value for money speakers available in the market for around 30K.

Thanks
30k might be too low to get a decent 5.1 setup. Where are you getting V4A for 20k in Europe?

30k might be too low to get a decent 5.1 setup. Where are you getting V4A for 20k in Europe?
I am getting it around 35K. As I said difficult to fit HT setup in my budget. So that's why asking for speakers 5.1 for 30K.
I am getting a deal for boston accoustics for 24K, for a demo unit.
But I don't know much about the performance aspect of it.

I am getting it around 35K. As I said difficult to fit HT setup in my budget. So that's why asking for speakers 5.1 for 30K.
I am getting a deal for boston accoustics for 24K, for a demo unit.
But I don't know much about the performance aspect of it.
Yeah, I saw that deal as well. Same, I am not sure how they would perform.

Now I am confused between going for a 70-75 k complete setup, Options Denon 550 -40k, speaker around 35K, or Pioneer 076 - 70k, V4A , I am not sure if my friend will be able to bring as it's heavy. He will comfirm.

Also now that it's clear that minimum I have to spend is around 70K. I am thinking is it worth it?
Can't I just take sony S500 soundbar or S40R. Will the difference in sound worth the extra bucks??
I am mainly looking to set this up in my bed room. Which is bigger than usual bedrooms , don't know about sqft.
I am really confused right now. Also there is Logitech 906. Is Logitech better than above mentioned sounbars??

Members with usage history or knowledge, kindly share your feedback.
Thanks

Now I am confused between going for a 70-75 k complete setup, Options Denon 550 -40k, speaker around 35K, or Pioneer 076 - 70k, V4A , I am not sure if my friend will be able to bring as it's heavy. He will comfirm.

Also now that it's clear that minimum I have to spend is around 70K. I am thinking is it worth it?
Can't I just take sony S500 soundbar or S40R. Will the difference in sound worth the extra bucks??
I am mainly looking to set this up in my bed room. Which is bigger than usual bedrooms , don't know about sqft.
I am really confused right now. Also there is Logitech 906. Is Logitech better than above mentioned sounbars??

Thanks
I had a demo a couple of days ago. The demo room was an office ish setting, bigger than usual bedrooms. A Yamaha soundbar (Ys 209 i think, considered a good 2.1 soundbar) sounded very harsh and not good with highs. In comparison, there was polk TL1600 (5.1 package) which sounded much better and provided a good cinematic sound experience for the price (can be had for around 45k).

I will suggest you audition a couple of options yourself before deciding.

Thanks
Ho with denon 550 with Taga Harmony. It's in your budget

Thanks
40k for Denon 550 is reasonable. Please let me know shop details.

Thanks Phani and harry. My question still remains, will this combo be better than a sub powered Soundbar like Sony S40 or 500 if we go by Value for money?

Thanks Phani and harry. My question still remains, will this combo be better than a sub powered Soundbar like Sony S40 or 500 if we go by Value for money?
I did answer it for you. The 35k Yamaha soundbar sounded crap in front of the 45k 5.1 package (yes, Yamaha bar had a dedicated sub). So I would suggest you go and audition a few sound bars yourself at some stores to find out if you like their sound.

I did answer it for you. The 35k Yamaha soundbar sounded crap in front of the 45k 5.1 package (yes, Yamaha bar had a dedicated sub). So I would suggest you go and audition a few sound bars yourself at some stores to find out if you like their sound.
But Harry the 45K speaker package would need a 40K avr. Taking the total amount to 85K instead of 35K of sound bar.
I did auditioned some of the sound bars but as side by side comparison with avr is not available, that's why I am seeking out opinions of Avr owners.
Is sound difference between a sound bar worth 50K difference?
Thanks

But Harry the 45K speaker package would need a 40K avr. Taking the total amount to 85K instead of 35K of sound bar.
I did auditioned some of the sound bars but as side by side comparison with avr is not available, that's why I am seeking out opinions of Avr owners.
Is sound difference between a sound bar worth 50K difference?
Thanks
For me, my usage is to watch movies in my living room with a projector. So yes, the price difference is justified because the soundbar was no where near adequate for the experience I am seeking. Which is why I asked you to audition so that you can see if it suits your needs and ears. I will still audition a few more soundbar to see if there any better ones.

And you can get a pre owned Avr for cheaper, to reduce the price difference.

For me, my usage is to watch movies in my living room with a projector. So yes, the price difference is justified because the soundbar was no where near adequate for the experience I am seeking. Which is why I asked you to audition so that you can see if it suits your needs and ears. I will still audition a few more soundbar to see if there any better ones.

And you can get a pre owned Avr for cheaper, to reduce the price difference.
Thanks for your suggestion. I will take demo.
Do you have any idea about the preowned market??

I tried on olx but was not able to find any. I reaide in delhi.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will take demo.
Do you have any idea about the preowned market??

I tried on olx but was not able to find any. I reaide in delhi.
Same here, even i am looking in Delhi but no success yet. I did get a quote of 30k for denon 250bt

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back