YAMAHA YHT 196 upgrade capabilities..

Naveenbnc

Hello All, I want to buy YHT196. I will go for a SPEAKER upgrade later. Current speakers of YHT196 are 100W each. How far I can push this in future? I mean, how powerful speakers "each" can this AVR bear? Thanks a lot in advance to all the nice and helpful people here ....

Not much i am afraid. If you are thinking of upgrading speakers in the future then the options get very narrow. the amp is not the most powerful either at 100W (6ohms, 0.9% THD). 1khz 1 channel driven.also missing are few features like YPAO, wifi and all that.
so its would get very limited.

Hello All, I want to buy YHT196. I will go for a SPEAKER upgrade later. Current speakers of YHT196 are 100W each. How far I can push this in future? I mean, how powerful speakers "each" can this AVR bear? Thanks a lot in advance to all the nice and helpful people here ....

Consider the situation of climbing up stairs to the terrace. The more money you spend in the beginning, the higher floor you start from. Its a never ending journey. If you like the system and can afford it, get it by all means. Remember, you start higher compared to someone starting off with a Sound Bar or some other computer speaker set, not that those are bad or the requirement could be met.

You would be upgrading the setup in future for sure, 196 is a very good system. You can also see the 299 which is priced slightly higher.

MaSh

100W each is a lot of power
Unfortunately I am pretty certain this would be the rating for a single channel driven
Realistically, with all channels driven, this rating will drop down drastically

Many HTiB systems come with a passive subwoofer - the Low frequency effects (LFE) are what suck the most power from an amp - Assuming this comes with a passive sub, there would be very little power left to drive the front and centers

Do check if the Receiver has a provision to connect a powered sub
If you can later replace the passive sub with an active one, it would give the internal amp more headroom to drive the LCR and surround channels later on

If you are in the option of upgrading the speakers in future ,it is advisable to go for a higher powered AVR .also it doesn't support DTS hdma & Dolby True hd.

Hello All... I came to this forum for a small suggestion on upgrade.... But the encouragement you guys are giving is compelling me to expand my budget little more.

You are right guys, 196 can deliver 100W with only 1 channel connected. When all are connected, it delivers around 30W each. So the upgrade option is limited.
Im newto this, and sttruggling to understand the numbers. So ur advise helps a lot. Please suggest on the below points guys...

1.If I go for YAMAHA 299, how good is the AVR ability to handle better speakers in future?
2.If I can stretch my budget to 35k or so.., is it better to go for AVR+2 Bookshelf instead of 299?
Thanks a lot guys...

+1 to YHT-299 as sash suggested.
It is a better HTIB with most of the bells and whistles from standalone Yamaha AVR. Active sub in 299 is a plus
Few members have also upgraded the front speakers of 299 for better music playback.

I will share based on my own personal experience

A HTIB is no slouch in terms of performance, it will beat all TV speakers, computer speakers, home hi-fi speakers (at least the budget ones), etc. I have been using a HTIB with my PC for over 6 years now, and it replaced expensive Logitech computer speakers that were excellent performers in their own right. In other words, you can buy the Yamaha HTIB outright and be happy with it for a long time. Upgrading the speakers will not really improve the performance much, but like I said you can be extremely happy with the performance of the Yamaha.

I also have a dedicated home theater room that took me nearly 2 years to build/complete. I have the Monitor Audio RX series speakers in it, and I started off by buying the floorstanders initially, adding the center channel after a few months, and then adding the subwoofer and the surround channels. Throw in the projector, expensive HTPC with a fully tricked out GPU for madVR, furniture, etc. and you will get a fair idea of how long it will take to assemble something in parts. Also, keep in mind a lot of preparation work will take place like internal wiring, acoustics, etc.

Obviously I'm not making things easy for you, but hopefully I am making things easy for you to decide and giving you clarity in how you want to approach things.

Start with the end in mind, do you want a fully dedicated home theater room, or simply a 5.1 setup to rock with your PC or TV and STB. For the latter, a HTIB will suffice, in fact literally rock. My PC, my 55 inch LED, etc. run on 2 Onkyo HTIBs and performance is excellent beating out the TV speakers, soundbars, computer speakers, etc. However, they will not compare to a dedicated home theater room.

Finally, spend the most on speakers, audio technology is changing so much and new formats are coming in every year, it does not make sense to spend much on an AVR. You will be looking to upgrade your AVR every 2 to 3 years if you want to have the latest audio formats, HDMI specs, HDR, 4K/8K, etc.

1.If I go for YAMAHA 299, how good is the AVR ability to handle better speakers in future?
2.If I can stretch my budget to 35k or so.., is it better to go for AVR+2 Bookshelf instead of 299? Thanks a lot guys...

An other suggestion if you may consider.. Assuming 35K is all you can spend now, look for an used AVR from FM here (< = 20K) in your city.. You might get higher end AVR for a very good price.. Good chances you might land-up with an mid-range AVR which is better than the AVR in Yamaha 299 package..

You can then spend the rest of your budget for a pair of BS now...Complete the 5.x speaker set-up as and when your budget allows..and then finally upgrade your AVR..

Overlook the watts produced by AVR..Instead focus on speaker sensitivity..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back