Yamaha YHT 299 or Onkyo HT-S3800 ?

dts-hd

Hello folks :)

I am new to HifiVision and this is my first post.

I am planning to buy a good HTiB for my small living room which is around 11 ft tall x 12 ft wide, not a perfect square or a rectangle.

My budget is around 35-38K.

I am into 50% Gaming, 40 % Movies and 10% Music

Out of this two which wold be a better buy??
Are there any other HT packages out there, which are better in the price range mentioned?

I am planning to connect the AVR to my PC through HDMI from my B150 Gigabyte motherboard along with Xbox One, so which one should I look into?

Also my PC monitor is non ARC Compatible which I think wont be an issue :sad:

Thanks in advance.

Hi

You need to audition both systems with the same content to arrive at a informed decision...

Also, you need to check the connectivity options as well as features.....if budget is a constraint, look for pre owned stuff at For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads......

Hi

You need to audition both systems with the same content to arrive at a informed decision...

Also, you need to check the connectivity options as well as features.....if budget is a constraint, look for pre owned stuff at For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads......

Hi

Yes I am aware of the connectivity options, as of today I have checked with the PROFX dealer here in Bangalore, they don't have stock for Yamaha YHT 299, Onkyo S3800 is available in Modern World, they have quoted price for 39K, My main concern is that it does not comes with an active Sub, :sad: though it has support for 4K passthrough, HDR.

Any specific lead for Yamaha dealers would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
My Suggestion is go with Onkyo 3800. i have HTS 3700 and i am very much satisfied with my HTIB. I have connected my Android TV, Xbox one and BD player. Movies and Gaming will blow your mind. Music a bit let down but still good in Neo 6 & All channel mode. Coming to yamaha i have auditioned 1810 but im settled with 3700.

My Suggestion is go with Onkyo 3800. i have HTS 3700 and i am very much satisfied with my HTIB. I have connected my Android TV, Xbox one and BD player. Movies and Gaming will blow your mind. Music a bit let down but still good in Neo 6 & All channel mode. Coming to yamaha i have auditioned 1810 but im settled with 3700.

Hi

That's some solid feedback, but are there any pre amp line out for adding active sub later down the line (workaround if any) if i go with the Onkyo ?? or the supplied sub is more than enough for DTS-HD movies/gaming ?? I have read Onkyo are better suited for movies/gaming than Yammies, Yamaha YHT 2910 is available in HTstore for 45K which I think is absurd for the extra added DSP's (features catered towards music I believe), I did auditioned Onkyo TX-SR343/SKS-HT528 speakers today in Modern World, the sound quality I tell you is spot on, low-mids-hi all consistent throughtout the test (divergent was being played in Dolby True HD format), priced at whooping 55K is sadly a bit out of my budget :sad: I am also considering Pioneer VSX 330 and entry level Todoroki 5.1 speaker, bundled for 45K, will that be any good ??

here is the link
https://pioneer-india.in/category/40/todoroki-speaker-solutions/#

Last edited:
Hi

Based on available budget, you may miss out on the requirements....hence some would go and purchase pre owned systems which are available at reasonable rates in For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads....check...you may get something which meets your requirements.

Hi

Based on available budget, you may miss out on the requirements....hence some would go and purchase pre owned systems which are available at reasonable rates in For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads....check...you may get something which meets your requirements.

Hi

I am basically getting HBiT on EMI's, so paying in full cash is not an option for me :sad:

Hi

That's some solid feedback, but are there any pre amp line out for adding active sub later down the line (workaround if any) if i go with the Onkyo ?? or the supplied sub is more than enough for DTS-HD movies/gaming ?? I have read Onkyo are better suited for movies/gaming than Yammies, Yamaha YHT 2910 is available in HTstore for 45K which I think is absurd for the extra added DSP's (features catered towards music I believe), I did auditioned Onkyo TX-SR343/SKS-HT528 speakers today in Modern World, the sound quality I tell you is spot on, low-mids-hi all consistent throughtout the test (divergent was being played in Dolby True HD format), priced at whooping 55K is sadly a bit out of my budget :sad: I am also considering Pioneer VSX 330 and entry level Todoroki 5.1 speaker, bundled for 45K, will that be any good ??

here is the link
https://pioneer-india.in/category/40/todoroki-speaker-solutions/#

You can add an active sub later to the HT-S3800 receiver. You will need a active sub which accepts speaker level connections. I have connected an active sub to my HT-S3200 receiver and it worked perfectly.

You can add an active sub later to the HT-S3800 receiver. You will need a active sub which accepts speaker level connections. I have connected an active sub to my HT-S3200 receiver and it worked perfectly.

Hi

Heard Onkyo models have the HDMI failure within one year and the warranty replacement board also usually fails within one year, the failure is due to excessive heat on the HDMI PCB, the DSP and HDMI etc. chips on the board have no heat sinks so they are actually using the entire PCB itself as the heat sink, meaning the heat is dumped into all the cooler running components on the PCB, I am not sure if its persistent with their current line up of products too.

If that is the case I am sticking with Yamaha YHT 2910 HBiT since YHT 299 is not available :licklips:

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

Heard Onkyo models have the HDMI failure within one year and the warranty replacement board also usually fails within one year, the failure is due to excessive heat on the HDMI PCB, the DSP and HDMI etc. chips on the board have no heat sinks so they are actually using the entire PCB itself as the heat sink, meaning the heat is dumped into all the cooler running components on the PCB, I am not sure if its persistent with their current line up of products too.

If that is the case I am sticking with Yamaha YHT 2910 HBiT since YHT 299 is not available :licklips:

Thanks

I don't know who gave you this information. I have used Onkyo TX-SR 608 for almost 3 years and never faced any problem with HDMI board. I have now been using the HT-S3200 which is more than 5 years old. No issues with this one as well.

Regards,
Sam.

I don't know who gave you this information. I have used Onkyo TX-SR 608 for almost 3 years and never faced any problem with HDMI board. I have now been using the HT-S3200 which is more than 5 years old. No issues with this one as well.

Regards,
Sam.

Well you might be right, I just now enquired with the techies from Onkyo Wonderworld, they said this was an issue with the earlier models, primarily due to Sat Cables wires mismatching with the amp, well I am going to audition Onkyo S3800 this coming weekend, will update on this, according to them there is no option to upgrade to active speakers :sad:

PFA

Thanks

Attachments

• S3800 back_large.jpg
    S3800 back_large.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 62
Well you might be right, I just now enquired with the techies from Onkyo Wonderworld, they said this was an issue with the earlier models, primarily due to Sat Cables wires mismatching with the amp, well I am going to audition Onkyo S3800 this coming weekend, will update on this, according to them there is no option to upgrade to active speakers :sad:

PFA

Thanks

Guess they are less informed. You can connect an active sub woofer to Onkyo HT-S3800. I have done it on my HT-S3200. You will have to connect the speaker level output (it will be written "subwoofer" on the top of that particular speaker level output) from your receiver to the speaker level inputs on the sub. Set the phase on Sub to 0, set the crossover to 120. That's it. I am attaching the back panel of a sub with speaker level inputs.

Regards,
Sam.

Last edited:
Guess they are less informed. You can connect an active sub woofer to Onkyo HT-S3800. I have done it on my HT-S3200. You will have to connect the speaker level output (it will be written "subwoofer" on the top of that particular speaker level output) from your receiver to the speaker level inputs on the sub. Set the phase on Sub to 0, set the crossover to 120. That's it. I am attaching the back panel of a sub with speaker level inputs.

Regards,
Sam.

Hey thanks again for the clarification , will check and confirm :thumbsup:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back