Yamaha YHT 299 Problem (Power does not turn on)

uttamsaxena

Dear friends,

Just a few hour back my YAMAHA YHT 299 switched off automatically, while we were watching movie. It's AVR did not switch on thereafter either by remote or by push button on AVR. I checked all the things and established that there is something wrong in the AVR.

On referring troubleshooting section of its manual (Page 68) it says that -

Problem: Power does not turn on.
Cause: The Protection Circuitry has been activated three times consecutively.
Remedy:As a safety precaution,the capability to turn on the power is disabled.Contact your nearest Yamaha dealer or service center.

This made me worried a lot but after googling a lot I found following solution on the internet, which I am sharing here -

Plug the power cord out. Plug it back in.
Press the following three buttons at the same time for 5 seconds:
Power key (1) + Info Key (4) + Tone Control key (12) (The numbers in bracket are as per front panel picture given in manual at page 7)
And Voila, The receiver switched on. (I did this after disconnecting all the speaker, HDMI and all other cables)

Now I would like if any expert can tell us what causes the Protection Circuitry to activate and what precautions must be taken to avoid this.

Last edited:
Hi

The protection circuit gets activated when you are driving the AVR at continuous high volumes...this causes over heating and hence to protect itself, it would automatically shut off...

You need to ensure that the AVR is kept in a well ventilated area...the Owners manual clearly specifies the minimum gap area you need to keep. Alternatively, you can purchase a mini cooling fan to ensure that all the heat emitted from the amplifier section gets blown out or away....

Thirdly, Avoid playing the AVR at full volume. Some of us like to play our systems loud. If that is what you want, you need to buy a more powerful AVR and enjoy the experience at half volume.

Dear friends,

Just a few hour back my YAMAHA YHT 299 switched off automatically, while we were watching movie. It's AVR did not switch on thereafter either by remote or by push button on AVR. I checked all the things and established that there is something wrong in the AVR.

Remedy:As a safety precaution,the capability to turn on the power is disabled.Contact your nearest Yamaha dealer or service center.

This made me worried a lot but after googling a lot I found following solution on the internet, which I am sharing here -

Power key (1) + Info Key (4) + Tone Control key (12) (The numbers in bracket are as per front panel picture given in manual at page 7)
And Voila, The receiver switched on. (I did this after disconnecting all the speaker, HDMI and all other cables)

Now I would like if any expert can tell us what causes the Protection Circuitry to activate and what precautions must be taken to avoid this.

What is your location ? How is power ( electrical ) situation there?

In Yamaha electrical fluctuation may cause protection . First hand experience as I sold a old yamaha AVR to a person from Chembur , who suffered this..

Friends, Thanks for your input.

1. I play my AVR at lower-middle volume range. So this does not seem a reason for activation of protection circuitry.

2. I live at Lucknow, UP. Power supply is quite OK but there are some problems in quality of supply now a days (hot summer) due to high system overloading.This could be a reason.I drive my AVR, Sub, DTH and TV from the mains supply. Could you suggest me what kind of equipment is required for a better supply e.g. stabilizers, UPS, surge arrester etc? Kindly suggest.

Hi Uttam,

Thanks for sharing the info. I use 8 pin Belkin Surge protector. So far, I have never faced any problems of Power fluctuations in our area. So, cannot really say if a surge protector will solve the problem. You can try it out. But, this surge Protector is working just fine for me.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

It is good to have surge protector to add safety to our AV equipments..
Dear Mr.Uttam ,i know how u feel when our equipments is not functioning well...better to contact Yamaha Customer Support technicians to resolve it..Is ur equipment is under warranty???

Hi all, Thank you very much.
My YHT 299, which is still under warranty, is functioning nicely after the reset as I described in first post.
Now I am concerned about the power supply. Actually I am using a 6 way MX Power strip, which also claims it to be a spike protector, but I think it is not a good power strip. I will consider about buying another surge protector with multiple socket points.
Can you suggest any nice quality 8 or more socket surge/spike protector (Brand and model please)?

Hi ... I got Low voltage and YHT 299 didn't power on... This post helped me .. Its working now.

This has happened for second time in three months...

First time, Reliance service guy did the reset and he didn't tell me how he did that. He suggested putting 1 KVA voltage stabilizer.

I got Belkin 8 pin Surge protector and V-Guard Crystal plus stablizer (650 KVA or something). That stabilizer was able to serve both my TV and HTiB. So, I didn't go for new one. Even after using Stabilizer and Surge protection, Yamaha AVR gets switched off when fluctuation comes with Low voltage :(

I am really confused that I couldn't find a solution for this voltage fluctuation problem.

Hi ... I got Low voltage and YHT 299 didn't power on... This post helped me .. Its working now.

This has happened for second time in three months...

First time, Reliance service guy did the reset and he didn't tell me how he did that. He suggested putting 1 KVA voltage stabilizer.

I got Belkin 8 pin Surge protector and V-Guard Crystal plus stablizer (650 KVA or something). That stabilizer was able to serve both my TV and HTiB. So, I didn't go for new one. Even after using Stabilizer and Surge protection, Yamaha AVR gets switched off when fluctuation comes with Low voltage :(

I am really confused that I couldn't find a solution for this voltage fluctuation problem.
You could try a servo stabilizer or a sine wave UPS with AVR either of which will be a lot more expensive than a garden variety stabilizer or you could look for a over/under voltage cutoff device which cuts the power as appropriate, something like this Buy Sollatek TVGuard Voltage Stabilizer Online at Best Prices In India | Flipkart.com Note that the Flipkart listing lists it as a stabilizer but it is a actually a over/under voltage cutoff device. Search this forum for Sollatek and you'll find more than a few posts that talk about voltage management, Sollatek and other solutions.

What is your location ? How is power ( electrical ) situation there?

In Yamaha electrical fluctuation may cause protection . First hand experience as I sold a old yamaha AVR to a person from Chembur , who suffered this..

same problm with me i am very upset:mad:with this keep doing this lenghty prosses of restarting this amp volatge problm is very much high in my place what to do plessss advice me

what speakers are you using . A minimum of 6 ohms speakers are necessary for entry level AVR . If the speakers are 4 Ohms , then you must be careful not to turn up the volume more than a quarter turn . Entry level AVR are best operated at 8 ohms , irrespective of what the manual says .

Thanks a lot. The solution you gave is perfect and the easiest.

Dear friends,

Hi,

My RXV465 faced similar issue. I tried the above combination but didn't solve completely. It did power on but after few seconds (~8-10), switched off itself.

Does Stepdown transformer has anything to do with this? If somebody has any idea of Yamaha service centers in Chennai who can take up, Can you provide the contact?

Thanks
Siva

Googled a bit and found that when the speaker wires/ports are shorted, this might happen. So tried taking the reading from the main speaker ports(o/p) after disconnecting all cables except power. It is showing ~2.4 Ohms and when kept multimeter in sound mode, it is beeping. That means some where it is getting shorted and that is what making the AVR to go into protection mode all he time.

Could somebody confirm this? Or Am I taking the incorrect readings?

Thanks
Siva

YHT-196 issue

I have bought Yamaha YHT-196 model recently. It's working pretty well, but very difficult to switch to HDMI to Audio1(USB on TV) or Audio1 to HDMI1. When I save all settings for ARC, it's works immediately, but if I switch to FM and come back to Audio1, ARC doesn't work, I have to reset the setting for ARC again and continue. The same case with DTH. some times restart is required.

Please let me know if any thing I missed out in settings. or it's problem with firmware.

Thanks

Dear friends,

Hi Uttam,
Years may passed but your solution saved me a lot of time .... Thanks very much for sharing this...
Warm Regards,
Arun

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot for sharing. I didn't have any problem with my RXV681..... but this post helps many people

Hi

The protection circuit gets activated when you are driving the AVR at continuous high volumes...this causes over heating and hence to protect itself, it would automatically shut off...

You need to ensure that the AVR is kept in a well ventilated area...the Owners manual clearly specifies the minimum gap area you need to keep. Alternatively, you can purchase a mini cooling fan to ensure that all the heat emitted from the amplifier section gets blown out or away....

Thirdly, Avoid playing the AVR at full volume. Some of us like to play our systems loud. If that is what you want, you need to buy a more powerful AVR and enjoy the experience at half volume.

hi efernand1,
Regarding high volume.... in terms of db what can be considered as high volume?
I think my AVR shows +15db as the max volume in its specs.
Most of the time I run it under -20db. Very rarely I go to -18 or -15, and that is too loud for my room.
I hope -20db is quite under normal volume level.... (please correct me if im wrong...)

Is there any chance that anybody go all the way to 0db or higher ???

hi efernand1,
Regarding high volume.... in terms of db what can be considered as high volume?
I think my AVR shows +15db as the max volume in its specs.
Most of the time I run it under -20db. Very rarely I go to -18 or -15, and that is too loud for my room.
I hope -20db is quite under normal volume level.... (please correct me if im wrong...)

Is there any chance that anybody go all the way to 0db or higher ???

As long as your speakers can handle the output and are not sounding distorted or jarring then its fine.....check if AVR is getting warm or hot....if yes, put some cooling fan for it....

It should sound fulfilling and pleasant to the audience (you). If the source is poor quality and low, you may be required to pump up the volume for optimal playback.....this is again...case to case basis.... I run mine between -30db to -18db....(Marantz SR series)..it sounds clear and very filling for me. Even my Senior Citizen mom has no issues as its clear music flowing with the actual right frequencies....bottomline,,,all depends on the source and quality of content!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back