Yamaha YHT1840 speaker upgrade options for HT Room Setup

Prashob

Hi friends, i am new to this forum this is my first query,
I have a Yamaha YHT1840 for some time now,Since i am setting up a HT room i would like to upgrade its speakers and sub, i have a budget of 50k max for both sub and floor standing 5.0 speakers, My avr is 2072 that came with yht1840 is this any good in powering Taga 506 v2?? will it be better than stock 1840 speakers? what about Taga 606se with 2072? Usage will be 99% movies.

My room size is 10ftX19ft with ordinary sound treatment.
Epson tw650 projector

which of the following setup will sound better for movies?
1. Yamaha 2072 + Taga 506 v2+ yamaha Ns-sw100 sub
2. Yamaha 2071 + Taga 606se+ 12inch locally made active sub
3. Yamaha 1840 + Good sub at around 40k

For that budget you could match it with Taga speakers 506 or 606 and their subwoofers line ups. For sub would suggest you to for Tsw 200! BTW, you got the typo consistently wrong for your AVR (It is 3072)

Oh thanks for replying
Actually it's 2071, only 70w per channel I guess so any good for 606se?? , so for av2071 which one to choose 506 vs 606se ?

Honestly the AVR is an underpowered one to drive these speakers. Yamaha Aventage models or minimum RX V 683 may be a good matching combination. I own RX-V 483 matched with Taga TAV 806F and I have to push 60% volume to get them squeeze some juice for my 21x21 living hall and it is much louder. These specs are mentioned in Taga website to figure out recommended amplifier power. Another thing I would like to mention 70w per channel doesn't mean 70x5 channel. These numbers are quoted when it is driven in 2 channel mode for <1% THD. For five channels it would go down 25 or 30 watts for same THD. None of the manufacturers want to state numbers for 5 channels other than NAD.

Honestly the AVR is an underpowered one to drive these speakers. Yamaha Aventage models or minimum RX V 683 may be a good matching combination. I own RX-V 483 matched with Taga TAV 806F and I have to push 60% volume to get them squeeze some juice for my 21x21 living hall and it is much louder. These specs are mentioned in Taga website to figure out recommended amplifier power. Another thing I would like to mention 70w per channel doesn't mean 70x5 channel. These numbers are quoted when it is driven in 2 channel mode for <1% THD. For five channels it would go down 25 or 30 watts for same THD. None of the manufacturers want to state numbers for 5 channels other than NAD.
Thanks, so that means even the Taga 506 v2 will perform worse than the current speakers that came with 1840?

Thanks, so that means even the Taga 506 v2 will perform worse than the current speakers that came with 1840?

No, definitely they're better than satellites. Floorstanding speakers gives you a great sound stage as they have more SPL (sound pressure level or sensitivity in decibels) than the satellites and therefore it can play loud with less power from AVR. You also need to consider below in buying floorstanders...

1. how big your room size is?
2. Is placement a problem?
3. Whats your seating distance to your TV?

No, definitely they're better than satellites. Floorstanding speakers gives you a great sound stage as they have more SPL (sound pressure level or sensitivity in decibels) than the satellites and therefore it can play loud with less power from AVR. You also need to consider below in buying floorstanders...

1. how big your room size is?
2. Is placement a problem?
3. Whats your seating distance to your TV?
My room is 10 feet wide to 19 feet length, 9 feet in height, will be sitting 12~14 from screen.
Placement not a problem

So which option is good for me now
2071+ 506v2+ tsw 200/Yamaha ns-sw100
or
2071+ default speakers + tsw200/Yamaha ns-sw100

The avr is definitely underpowered for tower speakers. Best you can plan is bookshelf speakers if u have no intention for upgrading ur avr. If not u can first get a good avr nd then go for the Taga towers.

Do you have powered subwoofer came along with your HTIB yet? If so, I would suggest you to first buy another subwoofer and listen how you feel about the change. You could use a Y RCA cable to split the single pre out into 2 separate signal input to both of your subwoofer. This can tremendously smoothen out bass through out room evenly. Perhaps, then you can decide if you still want to replace your speakers. Where does your sub is placed now? Your room is rectangular and therefore corner placement would be effective way for optimal set up. What do you think?

Do you have powered subwoofer came along with your HTIB yet? If so, I would suggest you to first buy another subwoofer and listen how you feel about the change. You could use a Y RCA cable to split the single pre out into 2 separate signal input to both of your subwoofer. This can tremendously smoothen out bass through out room evenly. Perhaps, then you can decide if you still want to replace your speakers. Where does your sub is placed now? Your room is rectangular and therefore corner placement would be effective way for optimal set up. What do you think?
yamaha YHT1840 came with passive sub which is kind of dead, so i am thinking of Taga tsw 200 sub, is this sub overkill for the room?

yamaha YHT1840 came with passive sub which is kind of dead, so i am thinking of Taga tsw 200 sub, is this sub overkill for the room?

No it's not but it would be prudent to match subwoofer brands when you ever want to add in another. Mismatching cause differences in tone and defies the purpose of going dual. You could go with tags 120 and one more later. Audition it if possible. These are value for money subs and can perform better. In choosing amplifier it's always best to pick one with more headroom (more power) so you don't have to drive hard to get a smile on your face which is why I suggested you 200watts RMS.

I have a Yamaha YHT1840 for some time now,Since i am setting up a HT room i would like to upgrade its speakers and sub, i have a budget of 50k max for both sub and floor standing 5.0 speakers,

which of the following setup will sound better for movies?
1. Yamaha 2072 + Taga 506 v2+ yamaha Ns-sw100 sub
2. Yamaha 2071 + Taga 606se+ 12inch locally made active sub
3. Yamaha 1840 + Good sub at around 40k

For 50K max, as already suggested by other member, you can consider Taga TAV 5.0 speaker package + TSW 200 series subwoofer, which would be a much better upgrade to your HTIB speakers.. IMO, an AVR upgrade wouldn't get you much as much as a 5.1 speaker package does..

For 50K max, as already suggested by other member, you can consider Taga TAV 5.0 speaker package + TSW 200 series subwoofer, which would be a much better upgrade to your HTIB speakers.. IMO, an AVR upgrade wouldn't get you much as much as a 5.1 speaker package does..
This is where my doubt is,, that is if I go for a FS speakers like tag 506 or 606se will they perform better than my htib speakers considering that it's an entry level AVR, I can stretch a little that is 60k for sub+606se but is it worth without upgrading AVR, don't have a budget for AVR now. Or should I stick to only default speaker + tsw200 ?

This is where my doubt is,, that is if I go for a FS speakers like tag 506 or 606se will they perform better than my htib speakers considering that it's an entry level AVR,

Yes, without a doubt.. If you happen to look at the specs of Yamaha YHT 1840, the full range speaker are rated at 83 dB SPL (too low).. If you look at the Taga TAV 5.0 speaker package, the FS have 89 dB SPL.. Making it easy for the AVR to drive the speakers than before..

I can stretch a little that is 60k for sub+606se but is it worth without upgrading AVR, don't have a budget for AVR now.

Upgrade in AVR does nothing with your full range HTIB speakers.. So, nope to new AVR IMO..

Or should I stick to only default speaker + tsw200 ?

Usage will be 99% movies.

Since you already have 60K budget, the 5.0 speaker package is only 20K, leaving you with 40K for subwoofer..

Don't know how big (or) small is your room.. Two options you can conisder..

Buy one Taga TSW 200, 12 inch subwoofer now and buy one more later (Only if you can) (or) buy dual Taga TSW 120, 10 inch subs with in your budget of 40K..

Either one of these will make it a very good 5.2 set-up and can comfortably give a run for money for other pricey set-ups..

I used yht 299 for 3 years. After 2 years I bought a polk psw125 which improved my movie experience by 10 times. My friend who is having yht196 the most basic HT also did the same he got a pioneer sub and Dali Zensor vokal nd purchased Sony bookshelf speakers for 5k a pair from olx and its amazing. My suggestion to you is buy a Yamaha sw 300 it’s just 27k. Specs are very good. RMS is 250 nd it goes all the way to 20hz. One FM recently purchased the sub nd gave good review. And also on the Internet it has amazing reviews. Trust me this will be the best option for you now. I changed the centre Chanel later and again my movie experience improved by 10 times. You need matching 5 speakers so you need to wisely purchase a centre channel. Best is you take my word as me and my friend both have more or less the same HT as yours

Last edited:
I would go with a good floor stander + center combination for now and save for sub and surrounds later. Because, once you decide to upgrade the AVR, the speakers should do the justice for the upgrade else, you will feel to upgrade the speakers once again all together.

Speakers don’t really improve by leaps and bounds in few years and I don’t think there will be a huge price drop too. But electronics will always become cheap and features will be updated every now and then. Since you already have a decent AVR, get better speakers for now and once a good AVR is in your radar, get it :)

Can someone confirm if a pair of good floor standers can output the bass equivalent to a decent 10 inch sub?

But I really doubt a 10 inch sub at that price range can go that low.
What you mean by that price range? Bic pl200-ii goes low till 21hz nd even handles 20hz and the actual cost of that sub is just 17-18k. Only due to import and duty fee it costs almost thrice in India . Svs 10 inch subs goes low till 20 Hz and again twice the actual cost. And also you have mentioned decent avr? By no means the avr that comes with yht1810 is decent enough to drive floor standers. It is really underpowered and will be good only for satellite nd some bookshelf speakers. Having used yht299 and pairing the avr with my dalis I can very well say the avr is underpowered. The dalis came to life only after I hooked my denon 2400 and infact the subwoofer performance also increased once I switched from the Yamaha avr to denon.

What you mean by that price range? Bic pl200-ii goes low till 21hz nd even handles 20hz and the actual cost of that sub is just 17-18k. Only due to import and duty fee it costs almost thrice in India . Svs 10 inch subs goes low till 20 Hz and again twice the actual cost. And also you have mentioned decent avr? By no means the avr that comes with yht1810 is decent enough to drive floor standers. It is really underpowered and will be good only for satellite nd some bookshelf speakers. Having used yht299 and pairing the avr with my dalis I can very well say the avr is underpowered. The dalis came to life only after I hooked my denon 2400 and infact the subwoofer performance also increased once I switched from the Yamaha avr to denon.
Sorry to say, but, we live in India and Indian price matters, at least to a few many people who cannot afford to fly to US for purchasing a pair of subs.

But I really doubt a 10 inch sub at that price range can go that low.

I was talking about a 10-inch subwoofer at the price range of 27k, and I have no idea how a 12 inch BIC sub costing over 40 k and an svs 10 incher costing 65k came into the picture. You sure Yamaha SW 300 hits 20hz at +/- 3db like the mentioned bic or svs subs?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back