Yamaha YHT294 from Dubai

ememm

Hi guys,
I am planning to get Yamaha YHT294 from Dubai(SharafDG) through a cousin. The price is 1199 AED. I had asked him to check for availability of Onky 3300, Yamaha 393/493, but seems like those are not available.

Yamaha YHT-294 - Asia-MiddleEast
I could not find any reviews for this model.

So my question to the forum members is, what all considerations do I have to have in mind if I am buying this HT? I think it is only fair to let you know my requirements, so -- I am planning to setup an entertainment area in my newly built house drawing room (14' x 10'). This is my first HT, so a pretty 'decent' model will suffice. Mainly looking for future proof AVR, since 3dTv is an option for the future. I know the speaker bundle may not be the best but I am hoping it to be decent enough for both music and movies.

I had got some good advice from this forum regarding buying TV from US, so I am hoping the same for this too. Are there any down sides for this package that I should be aware of? I spoke to two dealers in Chennai over phone and both of them did not have this model in stock. I was told that the speakers are the same as the ones with YHT -292. So anyone with experience with those can give their comments.

TIA
EmEmm

Bad yamaha speakers
No HD audio Decoding
6 Inch Sub - Many bookjshelves have bigger Drivesrs

SO DO NOT BUY ...or buy if you need HT for the sake of HT

SO DO NOT BUY ...or buy if you need HT for the sake of HT

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Do you suggest any other model in the same price range? Is it a good idea to just get the AVR from there and buy some better speakers here(How much would it cost)?

Frankly, I am not sure that I understand difference between HD audio and other Audio technologies (i'm totally confuzzled by the audiophile jargon - HD Audio, DDS, DTS-MA , Dolby trueHD, LPCM etc ...:eek: ) (I know, I know, I need to scout more of this forum. :) )

Anyways, hemantwaghe's comment has put doubt in my mind. Now I need more opinions..

EmEmm

Buy AVR and in Lowest price Try to Get JBL SBS 140 Bk ,a Very good speakerr set fo 13-14 K..It has 5 very small speakers and s8 inch subwoofere.
Yamaha speakers are not so good ,in fact their lowest package was retailing for 6 k!

Or get Pioneer 520 ,it is lowest cost AVR supporting hi def Audio ,and buy better speakers in India

Hemant,

I have asked in some other post too about your experience with Pioneer vsx-520k. Which speakers you are using with Pioneer?

Hi,
Yamaha speakes are not good. But Yamaha receivers are far far better than Pioneer AVR.
Better bring Yamaha receiver from Dubai and get some speakers in chennai.
I got a demo in Craftel with yamaha basic model receiver 365, the sound quality was too good.
You can't get good sound in satellite speakers which comes with the HTIB.
Build your HT step by step. At last u will have a very good HT setup.

Build your HT step by step. At last u will have a very good HT setup.

I like that suggestion :)

Right now, I really can't afford 10K kind of money for speakers alone.(Has to buy TV, WDTV Live, DVDP, HD STB... :rolleyes: lol) So I guess I will stick with the stock speakers for now and upgrade later. The reason I was considering to get the HTiB instead of just the AVR is because I thought the same speaker set would cost much more when bought separately. But I guess avoiding it will help with his luggage weight, so I need to think about that.

I think the AVR in this bundle is HTR-3063(which I have been told, is similar to RX-V367). Any thoughts? (i don't think I care about HD audio at this point, simply because I am not sure what it is. Other that HD audio, any drawbacks of this receiver?)

Thanks all,
EmEmm

Hi guys,
I am planning to get Yamaha YHT294 from Dubai(SharafDG) through a cousin. The price is 1199 AED. I had asked him to check for availability of Onky 3300, Yamaha 393/493, but seems like those are not available.

Yamaha YHT-294 - Asia-MiddleEast
I could not find any reviews for this model.

So my question to the forum members is, what all considerations do I have to have in mind if I am buying this HT? I think it is only fair to let you know my requirements, so -- I am planning to setup an entertainment area in my newly built house drawing room (14' x 10'). This is my first HT, so a pretty 'decent' model will suffice. Mainly looking for future proof AVR, since 3dTv is an option for the future. I know the speaker bundle may not be the best but I am hoping it to be decent enough for both music and movies.

TIA
EmEmm

The same shop had YAMAHA RX-V367 with Pol audio RM-6750 for aed 1699 and a Onkyo reciever with some jamo speakers for 1599, Just a few days back

I'll get him to check that out.

But can anyone tell the cons of the 294 (or rather the AVR 3063 in the bundle) ?

Are you sure it is HTR-3063 in the bundle, Well may be a little older stock, It is essentially the same as YAMAHA RX-V367, Make sure it has firmware update installed, Version C.22 (Hope i remember the number correctly) , same firmware update for RX-V367 and HTR 3063, Means it is the same thing, Also after the update these boxes are capable of 3D passthrough

No cons, But I have read that the YAMAHA low end home theatre speakers do not perform well, Even though personally I think they all are not good enough, compared to the BIG boxes of the past,

I would personally preffer these for Front speakers, Whatever you say, SONY speakers sound good for the price

For RS 5000

Last edited:
@quickboy,
am not into Yamaha AVRs (even though I havent auditioned them, so I don't have a valid reason to 'not' like them) and I was passively reading this thread, but I got glued on after your reference to the SS-B3000.

Boy, these are some fine looking old school speakers.
Does any one have them on the forum?
Do we have any thread for them? I would try searching for them.
How would they sound with an average AVR like a Denon 1311 or 1611 or Onkyo 608?

Your inputs will be helpful for me in making my purchase.

There is another great offer going on SHARAFDJ UAE

Onkyo TX-SR508, +
Wharfdale speakers
Crystal 30.5(floorstanding front) + CR 30.1 (surrounds) + CR30C (centre) + VR10 SUB All these for AED 1999/- (approx: Rs 24988/-),

You can also get an add on amplifier with two surrounds for 7.1 channel set-up, with this package, It is AED 2499 for all these

Here is the link

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back