Yet another DIY Speaker Stand !

ark

Hi,

My first DIY project is complete. This was the mandatory speaker stand.

I started with the famous 2 wood planks and a pvc pipe design. However did not like the look of PVC pipe and dreaded the thought of sand leaking through the pipe. So thought of using scrap plywood to build the leg. Gave some job to my newly bought drill. Cut a large number of circular wooden pieces and glued them together. Plywood with veneer used for both top and bottom portions.

This was specifically build for my Monitor audio BR2 speakers.

sp-stand.jpg [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ss-top.jpg
    ss-top.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 379
  • leg-asm.jpg
    leg-asm.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Looks awesome mate ,did u hired carpenter?how much it took to complete the project?

Thanks prash2k01 , CANDUU

Looks awesome mate ,did u hired carpenter?how much it took to complete the project?

I did not hire a carpenter. All done by me over the last 3 weekends , except for some help from a painter in polishing the veneer. I also have 3 different types of PVC pipes and a 1/2 liter paint can lying around from my initial attempts.

great work..... but is it stable or does it wobble?
And what type of shop did you get the threaded rod from?

great work..... but is it stable or does it wobble?
And what type of shop did you get the threaded rod from?

Thank you.

At 2 feet height , it is rock steady. Actually, for the wooden rings, once the glue sticks, they gain strength and acts like a solid piece of wood, with an iron rod running right through. The dia of the leg is 2.5 inches. For more height and load , we can go for 3 inch dia.
I also tired with 2 inches, but was not happy with the result.

Threaded rod is available in most hardware stores. The place where I bought, he had 2 sizes , A thin version and a thick one. I took the thicker one.

great work ..average looks and color choice

pvc pipes carry special material every day ;)... more reliable than maruti 800

Thanks jeyaraj, kaushik

great work ..average looks and color choice

pvc pipes carry special material every day ;)... more reliable than maruti 800

I chose teak wood finish for the top and bottom so that it goes well with the rest of the furniture. And I decided not to polish the legs because I liked the unfinished look and texture. May be I will polish it once I get bored of the looks.

And pvc is reliable but it cant carry 10-15kg of weight :)

And I decided not to polish the legs because I liked the unfinished look and texture. May be I will polish it once I get bored of the looks.

Visually very striking. Good job.
You may want to use a sealant on the legs, if you have not done so.
With monsoon coming, moisture absorption should be arrested.
2-3 rounds of bare wood sanding (60-120-180 or 100-150-220 grit)
2 rounds of NC sanding sealer (220-320 grit)
Varnish optional

Get leveling/isolation spikes for the bottom plate.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back