Yet another thread for DAC suggestions

sann

Hi All,

I am starting a new thread for DAC recommendations, I have gone through all the threads related to DAC, but wanted to hear from the members about what I have shortlisted.

What I currently have: I use the following source combinations:
(PS3/PioneerDVDP)-HDMI-Onkyo AVR(R590) Headphone Out - Norge Pre - Norge Power - Focal Chorus 706V

What I want: I want a DAC within 15K, it should be detailed across frequency range, should not sound bright, should be good for longer listening periods, though I will not be able to define the term but it should be "Musical" :)

Why I need a DAC : I recently got a chance to try Beresford Caiman in my audio chain, and I really enjoyed the presence of Caiman in the chain. It is has become difficult now to appreciate my system without a DAC.

What I have shortlisted:
1. Beresford Caiman Gatorized (Beresford TC-7520SEG Caiman)
2. Audio-Gd NFB-3.1 (?????)
3. Full Balanced kit from Spencer (Store | FET Audio)
4. Open to suggestions

If any FM owns or has heard the DAC's mentioned above, please share your feedback and impression about them.

Thanks,
sann

Last edited:
Checkout the foll:

Maverick Audio - TubeMagic D2 DAC

BIFROST Schiit Bifrost Upgradable 32 bit 24/192 DAC [] - $349.00 : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

The Maverick Audio D2 is very very good. Did an extensive DAC Shootout of the foll

Maverick Audio D1, D2, Valab NOS DAC, Squeeze Box Touch.

The D2 was the winner by a huge margin. Unfortunately could not do a comparo with my earlier favourite Beresford Caiman Gatorized. Hopefully will do a 1 to 1 with the D2 & get a clear picture on which 1 wins. Have been wanting to write a review of the mini DAC shoot out but my friend is not sending me the damn pics!!!

Meanwhile, do check out the Bifrost DAC as well, looks very promising & has got great reviews on 6moons site as well.

Keep us posted with your findings

:)

Sann,

I am wondering, is this the best way to connect to the Norge Pre ?

(PS3/PioneerDVDP)-HDMI-Onkyo AVR(R590) Headphone Out - Norge Pre

Did you ever try analog out of dvd directly to Norge Pre . How does that sound ?

And with the DAC what is going to be your source ?

Hi s_sachin,

Yes, on paper this does not look to be the best input for a preamp, however it sounds the best among all the sources I have.
I have tried following source combinations:

1. Sony CD walkman 3.5mm - pre amp
2. Pioneer DVDP (3022KV) analog out
3. PS3 analog out
4. Onkyo headphone out - RCA

Amongs the above sources option 4 sounds better, and gives me flexibility to switch between all the source inputs.
This is a stopgap arrangement, until I get a DAC. :)
With the DAC, I will be using the following as a source:

1. PS3 Toslink out
2. DVDP digital coax out
3. Laptop USB cable

Regards,
sann

Checkout the foll:

Maverick Audio - TubeMagic D2 DAC

BIFROST Schiit Bifrost Upgradable 32 bit 24/192 DAC [] - $349.00 : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

The Maverick Audio D2 is very very good. Did an extensive DAC Shootout of the foll

Maverick Audio D1, D2, Valab NOS DAC, Squeeze Box Touch.

The D2 was the winner by a huge margin. Unfortunately could not do a comparo with my earlier favourite Beresford Caiman Gatorized. Hopefully will do a 1 to 1 with the D2 & get a clear picture on which 1 wins. Have been wanting to write a review of the mini DAC shoot out but my friend is not sending me the damn pics!!!

Meanwhile, do check out the Bifrost DAC as well, looks very promising & has got great reviews on 6moons site as well.

Keep us posted with your findings

Denom any idea about the Maverick TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Amplifier. It says that Maverick D2 DAC along with TA1 Hybrid amplifier have perfect synergy and when used together.

Maverick Audio - TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier

Thanks denom,

I will surely look at them, the D2 is 24/96, will it be an issue if I pass it the up-sampled out from the PS3 which does up-sampling of 44.1 to 88.2, 176.4 up to 192khz?
Your review about D1, D2, NOS DAC and SB touch would be an interesting read.

-sann

Thanks denom,

I will surely look at them, the D2 is 24/96, will it be an issue if I pass it the up-sampled out from the PS3 which does up-sampling of 44.1 to 88.2, 176.4 up to 192khz?
Your review about D1, D2, NOS DAC and SB touch would be an interesting read.

-sann

Never had the opportunity of pairing the PS3 with the D2, so no idea how that would work, maybe some experts will chime in here & answer the query of yours.

Will write about the review ASAP & get the pics from my friend this weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions, after much reading and deliberation, I have ordered Beresford Caiman TC-7520SEG standard version, will do the silmic mod later.

Hey!

I am also interested in buying. Where are these available in India? For how much?

I was considering the cambridge DAC Magic 100 also. Where does it stand in comparison?

I am also interested in buying. Where are these available in India? For how much?
You will have to directly purchase from Stanley, drop a mail to Stanley Beresford <[email protected]>;

I was considering the cambridge DAC Magic 100 also. Where does it stand in comparison?
I have never heard the DAC Magic, so I can not compare, however I am completely satisfied with my Caiman-SEG.

Stan is coming up with a new DAC (The Beresford Bushmaster) it will be available in June. You could check with Stan.

Regards,
Sann

Thanks Sann!

So I have shortlisted these four and am totally confused now.

1. Maverick TubeMagic D2 (Maverick Audio - TubeMagic D2 DAC)
2. Beresford Bushmaster (Beresford Bushmaster DAC - Page 44 - The Art of Sound Forum)
3. Schilt Bifrost (https://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7)
4. Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 (DacMagic 100 Digital to Analogue converter)

Sann has used Beresford, Dennon have used TubeMagic D2. Was wondering if anybody had used/compared some or all of these.
Also if you guys could elaborate on little bit on the pros/cons + musicality of the ones you have used, that will be great.

Any input is highly appreciated.

PS: Technically this is hijacking of thread but from what I read, it seems like Sann has already bought the DAC and I really didn't want to create one more post and make it difficult for other interested people.

2. Beresford Bushmaster (Beresford Bushmaster DAC - Page 44 - The Art of Sound Forum)
3. Schilt Bifrost (https://schiit.com/cart/index.php?ma...&products_id=7)

I was also suggested the Audio GD DAC and was told that in one A-B comparison here it sounded better.

Thanks Sann!

3. Schilt Bifrost (https://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7)

Sann has used Beresford, Dennon have used TubeMagic D2. Was wondering if anybody had used/compared some or all of these.
Also if you guys could elaborate on little bit on the pros/cons + musicality of the ones you have used, that will be great.

Any input is highly appreciated.

PS: Technically this is hijacking of thread but from what I read, it seems like Sann has already bought the DAC and I really didn't want to create one more post and make it difficult for other interested people.

The Bushmaster is actually better for a Head Fones Set-up, rather than a stand alone DAC. So am not to sure how it will perform as a stand alone DAC.

Am trying to do a Maverick D2 VS Beresford Caiman Gatorised shoot out, hopefully by next week should be able to do so, will report back once its done.
Am also seriously considering the Schiit Bifrost, but it will be a blind buy as there is no way to demo 1 out here :(
On paper the Bifrost looks good though.

Thanks Denom!

Tube preamp output of TubeMagic is so tempting that I think I am just going to order that! I don't have much time so I will have to buy it today as I want it for a birthday present!

In either case would love to read the review.

Also, I have B&W 602S3 + Marantz SR4021. I do prefer "musical" feel more than the "accurate" reproduction. I think somewhere you did mention that TubeMagic was more musical. If you could confirm that part, it would be great!

Thanks!

Back