YHT 299 ..7.1 DTS-HD file offers only 2.1 output in straight mode

dr.arun

I have a Yamaha yht 299.. I have some downloaded DTS-HD content which says 7.1 in file name but when I connect it via Bluray player in bitstream mode only 2.1 channel output comes . I can change to neo 6 cinema and it works fine but in straight mode some files offer only 2.1 ..
1.Is it possible that DTS-HD has only 3 channels .. ( some files do offer 5.1 output ..)or is it because it's 7.1 and I have only 5.1??
2.How to know before downloading whether the content has high resolution 5.1 audio (DTS HD or tru hd)
3.Neo 6 from AvR do offer good surround , will be be lower in quality than the straight 5.1 DTS HD ????

DTS-HD format can't have 3 channels. Download softwares like MediaInfo to check the actual format of your media. There may be cases, you have to change some settings in media player, which is downmixing the audio format before sending it to AVR.

I have a Yamaha yht 299.. I have some downloaded DTS-HD content which says 7.1 in file name but when I connect it via Bluray player in bitstream mode only 2.1 channel output comes . I can change to neo 6 cinema and it works fine but in straight mode some files offer only 2.1 ..
1.Is it possible that DTS-HD has only 3 channels .. ( some files do offer 5.1 output ..)or is it because it's 7.1 and I have only 5.1??
2.How to know before downloading whether the content has high resolution 5.1 audio (DTS HD or tru hd)
3.Neo 6 from AvR do offer good surround , will be be lower in quality than the straight 5.1 DTS HD ????
Hi,
Check the link below
Demo and Trailers
For Your case there could be 2 or more possible issues.
1.your file itself does not contains multichannel Audio formats
2.your bluray player is not capable of decoding/play the formats as it suppoe to be.
3.Since your system is very basic with 5.1 capability it is wrongly decoding in different format.
Try to dowload the files from the link and try.
Let us know the results.
Atb

If the display on AVR shows DTS-HD, then the downloaded content has DTS-HD audio codec either in 5.1 (or) 7.1..

If your are using Dts Neo 6 on AVR, then your bluray is decoding the 5.1 output and providing 2.0 output to AVR..

Share your Bluray audio settings..

Sometimes, there is audio/video info provided on each download link, which tells the # of channels in the movie file and the audio codec.. Download the ones that atleast have lossy DTS formats (750 / 1500 Kbps) sound tracks (or) if the download size isn't an issue then select DTS-HD MA audio codec..

There isn't a need to use Neo:6 on AVR if the audio codec is true 5.1 (DTS/HDMA / Dolby/True HD)..

Last edited:
What BluRay player is it? and what AVR?

Some bluray players may not output 5.1 when file played off usb.Mine Toshiba bdp could do it only after FW update.

Thanks for the help guys ..
I will try out your advises and get back ..
But I don't think it's the Bluray player cos some files do give excellent outputs

What should I do ?
Which BDP should be a better option ?
Or should I go for an Xbox ..
Which Xbox onwards have DTS HD support ?

What should I do ?
Which BDP should be a better option ?
Or should I go for an Xbox ..
Which Xbox onwards have DTS HD support ?

Instead adding one more Blu-ray player you can try Android box
Few cheapest Android media players will do the job with Kodi installed.
But external Hard disk capacity compatibility needs to be checked if you have mammoth hardisk.

Last edited:
Instead adding one more Blu-ray player you can try Android box
Few cheapest Android media players will do the job with Kodi installed.
But external Hard disk capacity compatibility needs to be checked if you have mammoth hardisk.
I have an Android TV box ..but it's lagging big time when paying huge files with DTS .. and are you sure that Android TV boxes support DTS and DTS-HD

I have an Android TV box ..but it's lagging big time when paying huge files with DTS .. and are you sure that Android TV boxes support DTS and DTS-HD
Yes it is supporting with my KD links A300 and Zidoo X10.both models support 3D,Atmos,8tb external and internal Hardisk,Iso format,4K
100% No lag(4K never tried since i dont have 4K Display)
But for budget media players i never tried those big files.
Would request @elangoas to shed some light about budget player.
I believe he has budget Android box
Or you can try for bdp as mentioned by @spirovious in above post.But dont know whether it supports Atmos and big files/big hardisk capacity

Last edited:

Yes..Android TV boxes can pass through Atmos / Dts X..Which Android box do you have? Which media player are you using?..

Would request @elangoas to shed some light about budget player.
I believe he has budget Android box

My Android TV box Z69 passes through Atmos /Dts X files from a 64GB (NTFS) pen drive.. However the same file starts to stutter when I play them from 1.5TB external hard discs..

Also, I haven't had any issues playing BR Rips with normal DTS/Dolby files from both 64GB pen drive (NTFS) as well as 1.5TB external HD..

So my guess is that it should play any codec from a 1 TB external HD without any issues..Any bigger HD it might have issues..

Another thing ,
Since the AVR has truhd and DTS HD support , is it mandatory for Bluray player to have those options when in bitstream mode for usb files .. AVR will do the processing right ? Bluray need not have the support .. pls correct me if I am wrong

Lastly ..
Yamaha users ..
How does you display panel look when you play DTS HD files .. just DTS or DTS HD ??? My display just shows DTS and never DTS HD even if its DTS HD in bitstream mode from a Bluray player which supports only DTS and not DTS HD ..Screenshot_20180701-112258__01.jpg

Can you guys suggest me a budget Bluray player with DTS HD MA support from USB and Netflix and Amazon prime

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back