Your Best Audio Purchase of the Year!

Nikhil

Staff member
It's come down to the last day of the year and just like that 2019 will pass into memory.
Frankly I can't believe how quickly time flies but yes we are onto the New Year in less than 24 hours!

So what has been your best audio purchase/acquisition for 2019?

For me it is a no brainer - the USB cables and Interconnects from FM jls001 (Joshua) has been a home run.
I had started a thread to describe the cables back in June. Everything I said then still holds in December.
Anybody looking for a serious upgrade to their setup should consider talking to Josh.

Another great addition for me has been the Belden 8477 speaker cable.
Very inexpensive given that I use them bare wire - they have been performing really well in my setup.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to share from your experiences in 2019!

Regards

Joshua’s USB cable and more importantly, resisted the urge to upgrade or change and enjoy what I have! Passed the 3 years no major change vow to myself! Sometimes the best purchase is no purchase, no?

Hmmm...But a smaller hifi for the bedroom for next year? Vision 2020!

@Nikhil, that’s a cracker of an idea for a 31st Dec thread in an audiophile forum! Expect a large number or responses.

My best purchase was a speaker cable from Joshua (why isn’t that surprising!). But wait, it wasn’t a cable made by him, but an Einstein Green Largo that he had bought from DrBass long ago. It just opened up the sound of my system and cleared the bass, therefore improving details in vocals and treble so much, it was almost magical. Everyone who heard the system before and after concurred this was a great addition. These are huge cables an inch in diameter and they are worth their weight and cost.

The second prize goes jointly to the two vintage equipment I bought again from forum members. The Yamaha CDX 630 e CD player (with TD1541A DAC) from Farukh @raj12345 and the Yamaha T-85 tuner from Varun @Music Freak. Both these vintage equipment would put to shame a lot of new contenders at order of magnitude higher price than what they costed me. Yes, some niggles are expected when you purchase vintage, but the sound you get makes you wonder which way the audio equipment industry is going? Surely not towards SQ, may be towards features.

There were other purchases this year that I am making good use of. This includes the Cambridge CXN v2 which I had reviewed in a separate thread. And then there’s the Etymotic ER4SR studio reference IEMs that came in just yesterday. But it’s the above three purchases that I feel particularly chuffed about - buying a new equipment where you know what’s coming isn’t as thrilling as buying a vintage that can surprise you.

This year was a major overhaul for me.
Upgraded bed level speakers to wharfedale evo series and subs to dual svs pb3000.
@sijusid, can you also write your user review of the Evo series in a separate thread? Some more like me could be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was the $5 spent on the Bubble UpNP app. By the year end, I'd practically packed up my cd transport! The integration with both jplay (my primary listening software) and volumio (secondary setup) is excellent!

The good: Jay's Audio CDT, Lenco75, Joshua USB/ ICs and moving to AES/EBU from Coax cables.
The bad: Schuman resonator, DIY Diffusers, Dueland ICs, some tubes.
I'm moving to Goa soon, so the room setup will need to be taken up all over again. A smaller room will call for more treatment maybe.

@Nikhil, that’s a cracker of an idea for a 31st Dec thread in an audiophile forum! Expect a large number or responses.

@sijusid, can you also write your user review of the Evo series in a separate thread? Some more like me could be interested.

Ok...will do...speakers are still new so will wait some more time before giving my feedback.

Cheers
Siju

Happy new year in advance to all members of HFV. Like the previous years this year also I had so many wishes to buy new rigs but couldn't turn the wishes into a reality except something that I want to buy for so many days. This year I bought Bose sound link revolve plus, some audio CDs of Indian classical and Bengali modern songs , some pre owned vinyls of Bollywood oldies , 2 new vinyls etc. Had also ordered an old cassette deck but can't take it to my house till now as my wife doesn't allow:rolleyes:. Another matter should be mentioned here. From a friend (Vinod) in HFV I received some cds of Carnatic classical and I have become a fan of that genre. That was a give away and I didn't purchase those but the CDs became something special to me as those bear the token of friendship with a kind-hearted one whom I have never seen. However I hope that in the new year we can buy some new rigs of our choice and stay happy with our near and dear ones.
Cheers
Bhaskar

This year was getting back to proper setup
Good - exploring different genres
Good things happen -
1. Wasn't going this way and but landed up with Esoteric Audio Research (EAR) Pre & Power combo. Super happy
2. Aurender N100
3. USB cable from Joshua

Good things continue to happen - Santa singing all the way. Hopefully soon I should be getting a magnificent pair of EAR 509 MKII 25th Anniversary mono blocks :)

Some good things don't last - Gave away the upgraded Schitt Yggdrasil after a friend offered me an alternative I had been eyeing as the next.

Being Santa:cool: - Got a 2 month old Denafrips Terminator from this friend. Super dac it is. This friend tried hard but could not find a replacement. Seeing his plight I offered to give the Terminator back. He is very happy now and I am glad I did it for him, for music, for the hobby.

Happy new year and Happy Listening

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back