Your favorite audio clips for audition of speakers

sriji1212

Hi All,

This is my first thread and please direct me to any existing thread if it exists (searched but did not find).

I want to graduate to a good speaker system from my Computer speakers - Creative Soundblaster 5.1 speakers with kxDriver effects :) It did serve my purpose for my kind of listening, but just want to take a plunge and graduate to next level!

I am looking for the forum favorites on good sample audio clips which you usually take to audition various speakers like Polk, Wharfedale, KEF etc. I checked on sites like THX DTS Dolby WMV VOB Trailers for Download -Demolandia.net- for samples but being an amateur in this space and really can't decipher the subtle nuance of various frequency of sound.

I totally understand it's based on my "taste" of music, but just throwing out in the forum for some ideas. I like more of western classical instrumental music where the sound makes you cry :) Of course, I listen a lot of good indian music, be it Hari Prasad Chaurasia or Illayaraja or ARR or Prem Joshua's bamboo flutes as well., so please share your hindi/tamil/telugu favorites as well.

Reason for asking is, definitely experts like you will have favorite samples which will get to test the differences between various speakers.

Thanks in advance,
Sri

Your first post makes me think that you are looking for a system primarily for stereo.

If that is the case, I have always felt that the best clips for auditioning are music you are very familiar with and have come to love. Since we all love music for what it does to our feelings on listening to it, your favorite music will be your best way to judge what this system is doing to you which you had not experienced before.

Since you are a western classical listener, I will ask you to listen to take at least one large scale orchestral music by your favorite composer, one violin sonata and one cello sonata. I feel that most speakers fall short in unraveling the complex orchestrations and dynamic shifts of a large orchestra, or convey the emotions of a solo violin, or the raspy tone of a cello or a double bass.

Always better to take what you listen to at home, especially your favorite tracks. A demo disc is more suited to a home theater and not for music.

This is especially because most speakers don't play all genres well... if you take a CD of rock songs and buy it based on how it performs with those tracks... there is a good chance those speakers will not play your genre of music (western classical instrumental) very well. I have seen this happen so many times... now I just carry my own audio CD of my favorite tracks even when auditioning with friends.

If that is the case, I have always felt that the best clips for auditioning are music you are very familiar with and have come to love. Since we all love music for what it does to our feelings on listening to it, your favorite music will be your best way to judge what this system is doing to you which you had not experienced before.
Absolutely. If you don't know the music, how can you tell the speaker is playing it right --- or, alternatively, how can you tell you are hearing stuff you never heard before :eek:hyeah:.

My favourites have been snippets from Mahler's 2nd Symphony (from the quiet bits to the extreme bits of percussion to the massive organ-including finale) and a strange British folk-rock band called The Incredible String Band for the finesse of acoustic instruments and tinkly percussion.

Thanks @Everyone for your responses. It definitely makes sense to get my own loved music, but just thought to ask for the favorites in case if any.
I got more clarity now and what to select from my selections :)

Thanks again.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back