Zavvi and theHut for BDs & DVDs- from UK

manzb

Considering that some of the board members has already used the services of Zavvi/ theHut (they are part of the same company though they have two sites and offers are sometime different) and I have been monitoring their offers and services for quite sometime now, hence decided to start a new thread so that we can discuss their offers and services here.

For record, today I have placed an order worth 64, with Zavvi for few titles which has been in my cart for quite sometime now. The prices of the same I am following in both Amazon and Zavvi/Hut.

1. The Ultimate Bourne Collection [DVD]-Amz (9.51) vs Zavvi (5.17)
2. The Invasion [DVD]-Amz (3.00) vs Zavvi (4.74)
3. Mel Gibson Collection [DVD]-Amz (12.57) vs Zavvi (8.65)
4. Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [Blu]-Amz (20.00) vs Zavvi (6.91)
5. The Ultimate Gangster Box Set [DVD]-Amz (21.41) vs Zavvi (8.65)
6. The Coen Brothers Collection [Blu]-Amz (23.52) vs Zavvi (12.13)
7. Spider-Man Trilogy [Blu]-Amz (12.00) vs Zavvi (7.78)

The cost of the movies is 54, and their regular charges for tracked shipping is 9.99.

The cost of the movies included two special discounts, one is for the first time buyers 5% of the order. And 2nd one is 5 off for purchases above 50 (coupon code EASTER50 valid till 2nd April, I think).:clapping:

Please note that from Amazon, you'll get about 15% discount on account of VAT refund, which is not applicable at Zavvi/ Hut. So with VAT refund the same set of movies would have costed me 85, plus 12.43 for regular shipping via royal mail (normally takes 3/4 weeks to reach). Whereas with Zavvi, my total cost including shipping is 64.02 with tracked shipping which can be expected within a week.:clapping:

This is my first purchase from Zavvi. Hope all goes well and I receive the same in good condition.

Even with all things equal or may be at a small premium, Amazon might be many times a better bet, as their customer care is too good, and responds within minutes to any issues. Worth paying a li'l extra only for that. :thumbsup:

Guys do share your experience good or bad, about this two here

Received all the movies :). The last batch came today via Royal Mail+Indian Post :sad:. Zavvi mentioned that they gonna send via tracked mail and charged 9.99 gbp. It seems they have trifurcated the entire order and sent it in batches. First batch item no 3 & 6 sent through some courier which has a tracked ID, took almost 13 days to deliver :rolleyes:. Second batch only item 4, though sent last, received within 4days:thumbsup:. Third batch with the balance 4 items came via Royal Mail+Indian Post and took 20 days :mad:. Anyway, all items received without any damage in bubble packs. The first batch that came via tracked shipping, was packed in boxes apart from bubble packs. :)

The packaging of Amazon is better for shipping. The best part is that none attracted any customs, even though some came through Indian Post. :clapping::yahoo:

So now it will be another source for me to procure movies in future. Though will be happy if they can send all by courier, instead of Royal mail.

Small correction. VAT Refund is 20% and not 15%. If the list price of the movie is 12, then Amazon (UK) will charge you 10.

I had written to theHut.com regarding VAT refunds. They said that they have to charge VAT on all sales as per UK law and I should talk to HM-Customs regarding VAT refund. They even gave me a UK toll number to call. :rolleyes:

Kix, while you are right, about 20%, but see if the listed price of the BD is 12, then the discount is 16.67%, making it 10. So the effective discount is 16.67%.

Yes the VAT is 20% in UK, so in the same case, as the basic cost is 10, add 20% VAT, thus final price is 12. Hope it clarifies.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back