Zimbly and his Home theater

zimbly

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here. Been a silent reader for the better part of the last year and I have to admit the knowledge I have gained since reading up on the numerous posts here is amazing.
I write here today because I have finally decided to take the plunge into setting up a dedicated Home Theater room. First task was to run it by the Commander in chief, she nodded in agreement(It seems almost immediate when i write it here, though in all honesty it took a lot longer to get that nod). Permissions in place, lets get on then shall we :

The Budget : My modest budget of 10Lakhs soon felt rather minuscule when I started exploring the whims and fancies I have developed over the years. To keep things in perspective I had a re-tour of those wishes and decided that small compromises here and there would have to be made and I did! But one musnt compromise too much in life, so therefore did the next best thing, budget took a slight leap to 15lakhs. This had to include all the A/Vcomponents and equipment including wiring and NAS for the HT.

The Plan : Well if wishes were horses. I would have had 2 separate rooms, one for audio, one for HT. I know that sounds a little too extravagant and since wishes are ponies presently, I am happy to settle for a dedicate HT room. It will be used for Movies 85% and Music 15%.
Before I progress with the plans, I have hired the services of a sound engineer presently for consultation on Acoustic treatment and Acoustically isolate the room from leakages.
Along with the dedicated Home Theater room, I am also looking at Whole House Audio, either through wired or wireless option. I will start a separate thread for this topic.
Presently the apartment is under Construction and will be ready only by Sept 2016 which gives me ample time to pick my brain as well as all your brains to plan and then execute the project on hand. Incase any of you are wondering why I am planning so early, well simply because with the whole house audio in the offing, I would want to lay out the network cables/ speaker wires to other rooms well in time to overcome any obstacles the civil stage of the construction would throw up.
A point to Note : All AV equipment other than the Projector will be housed in a rack just outside the HT room. Controlling the equipment will be via Wifi.

Some details :Room Size : 18 x 11feet, entrance door from the side. Present intentions are to have two rows of seating, of which one right at the back with 3 individual recliners and the front one with either futons or a sofa cum bed. Reason being I can use the room to house guests if more than anticipated show up for a sleep over. The rear seating will be on a raised stage about 8-12" depending on the final planning of speaker locations and postioning.

Equipment Planned: I was initially very keen to set up the home theater with B&W Diamonds. However price being a factor and given the dimensions of the room the floor standers may have been an overkill for the room. So those went out of the window and I started auditioning various speakers. I finally zeroed in on the Tannoy Revolution XT6f, though I want to demo the 8f and then decide. For the center surrounds and ceiling (Dolby Atmos) I am looking at the Tannoy range in the Definition Series for the center, surround and in-ceiling speakers or Definitive Technology for in wall surrounds or in ceilings. I havent demoed the in wall or in-ceilings from either manufacturer. Will try and do that in the days to come.
While timber matching has its benefits, would the center speaker from the Tannoy definition series go with the Tannoy revolution floor standers?

Sub Woofer : Rhythmik or SVS? Have heard the rythmik FV15HP and have to admit I was mighty impressed with it. In the SVS range I am looking at the PB13 Ultra. A Couple of questions I had were, would these be too much for the room and would they be overbearing on the speakers I have listed? Would it be better to have 2 smaller subs in the set up rather than one? Pointers would be welcome. My reading up has led me to believe the benefits of having 2 subs will effectively cancel the nodes created by the LFE and enable a cleaner listen to the low frequencies feel free to correct me if I am wrong or incomplete in my hypothesis.

Projector : Sony VP40ES or Epson5030UB(7200 in India). Intend to pick up the projector overseas as the prices in India for projectors are unusually astronomical when compared with the prices for Audio equipment available here. The projector will be picked up next year, so if any models do pop up in the interim I will consider those as well.

BluRay Player: Oppo 103D also plan to purchase overseas and hand carry back.

Pre/pro and Amplifier : Since I am looking at Atmos, shortlisting was a tad simpler. It all boiled down to the Marantz AV8802A and the newly Launched Yamaha CX-A5100. I was very inclined to go with the Marantz and have demoed the same in the US and came back rather impressed. The power amps used during the demo was the ATI signature series. The combo of the two was something else. But the $$$ were mounting up.
With the recent launch of the subject Yamaha, things were looking up again. I havent demoed this model. But given the numbers and specs, it offers a rather close run for the money when compared to the Marantz. So my guns are now trained on the Yamaha. Coupled with the MX-A5000 power amp I will be good to go. Additionally the added Musiccast from Yamaha is a game changer as I can now use the AV receiver to wirelessly stream hi-res audio to other zones in the house. More on this after a demo of the Yammie.

NAS/ HTPC : A special mention has to go to Sam9s your thread on these topics. Wow!!! Enlightening.
Intend to pick up a NAS shortlisting the Synology 415+ or the rack mount version presently. Havent found a lot of feedback on the rack mounted NAS from Synology RS814+ or RS815 or RS815+
With regard to HTPC I am not so sure I want to set one up presently. The benefits of ease of access to all stuff stored on the NAS would be a definite plus as I dont intend to have a TV in the Home theater room and switching on the projector for checking the stuff on NAS especially when playing music is not something I would want to do . I intend to use Plex and/or Kodi as the front end for streaming and will use that from a tab or phone to access all info from the NAS. Any other pointers where it would be beneficial to have an HTPC in addition to the NAS.
Equipment Rack: I have been looking for an AV rack to house all the equipment for the HT and whole house audio. As mentioned earlier the rack will be located outside the HT room. Only reason for that is I do not like the lights from the AV equipment to interfere with my movie watching or the audible hum of the fans when listening to music or dialogue. Additionally I would go out on a limb to admit that I may almost have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for the unititated) when it comes to wires hanging out from the panels or equipment. I saw a couple of them on snapdeal and indiamart listed a few sources in my city. Will follow up with them in the days to come.

Media Player : I presently have a Roku3 for streaming online content. Would I need another media player to stream from my NAS to the AV receiver or the Oppo. That is something I am not clear on. As the Roku is excellent for streaming online content, but for stored content I am not so sure as I still havent explored the possibilities. Most of my movie files are stored in .mkv or .avi format.

Power conditioner and UPS : Research hasnt begun on this yet. The excitement of shortlisting the equipment ensured some of the other essentials but mundane items took a back seat.

Network Router : Netgear Nighthawk X4 or X6. Still making up my mind. Once I have clarity on how many Wifi users I have I can take a call then.
Cables: Havent done a lot of research yet on this. But audioQuest and QED are some of the names which pop up every now and then.
Thats about all for my rants, will await your inputs and guidance to further the HT project.
Cheers
Zimbly

Wow... thats indeed an year worth of planning. Wishes for your dream project
Did you miss to add a gaming console, or is it not in your interest?
Also, find a place to store your discs/bluerays, and also a mini bar/snack counter.

Fantastic!
Two points
Epson is priced here similar to US. Don't know how they do it.
Sam9s can be your inspiration for the room setup as well. He put his equipment on one side. Check out his long and detailed thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/50863-sam9s-home-theater-civil-construction-phase-ii.html
Actually Epson is also priced higher these days ex: Epson 5030 UB costs about $2k in the US which should come to some 1.3L. But Indian prices are in the range of 2.5L.

Wow... thats indeed an year worth of planning. Wishes for your dream project
Did you miss to add a gaming console, or is it not in your interest?
Also, find a place to store your discs/bluerays, and also a mini bar/snack counter.
Thanks "Itsme". I am working on the drawings for the HT room and adjoining rack storage slot. Will post them shortly. Alongside the Rack is a storage unit which will house the Cds, Dvds and Blurays.
As for the gaming console, i am not much into gaming, though i have an old ps2 lying around... need to hunt for the games as i havent a clue where they are.... that should give you an idea of how much i game. Mini bar snack counter - no place for that, though its would be a convenient option to explore.

Fantastic!
Two points
Epson is priced here similar to US. Don't know how they do it.
Sam9s can be your inspiration for the room setup as well. He put his equipment on one side. Check out his long and detailed thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/50863-sam9s-home-theater-civil-construction-phase-ii.html
Oh great, wasnt aware of the price parity of the Epsons. If this is the case, epson may find favour in my finalized list.
At the rate at which i am going to be following Sam9s's threads, he may have to put a restraining order for stalking:eek:hyeah::p

Congratts Zimbly ... :clapping: Welcome to the world of Personal Home Theater

With an astronomical budget of 15L (well in comparison to 6.5L that I spent,this is astronomical... :D). I would definitely suggest to go for separate rooms for Movie and Music. I had the same plan, but could not execute it coz of budget. My plan was something like 4L and 2L, but I exhausted the entire amount on HT itself ..... and I miss a small dedicated Music room, trust me if you are a music lover, same room aint gonna do justice.

You can very well save money in lot of things like Router .. Nighthawk ... ?? any reason to go for such an expensive router ..... If my advice means anything go for decent quality router like TP-Link TL-R470T+ and add an access point to it for your wifi needs. Something like Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP ... I have been using both the products 24x7 for last one year and I have nothing but praise for both the products. If you want to add more lan equipments simply add a switch

Coming to NAS, any reason to go for 413+ and not 413Play, the ability to trans code is there in both products, it has more ram and processing power but seriously for a NAS you do not need such power. I have 413j with mere 512kb ram and single core processor, and there is no situation where I felt the hardware lacking in any respect. You can save some bucks here ...

BD player oppo 103D ...50K+ bluray player .seriously bro!! ...... features like dual HDMI inputs, wifi N, MHL .... would you even be using all that, and how many BD Disks will you be playing (coz most of the time with almost everyone its the downloaded content we watch or if we have a decent net connection we stream via something like Roku (which also you already have))..You can have a very very decent DB player for 10-15K or so as far as PQ goes ....think!!!

I understand when we can afford the budget we just want to have the best of everything, but its still our hard earned money ...... think about it before purchasing, if you will even use those features or product for which you are paying a hefty sum. Not to discourage you, just giving my honest opinion.

Rest the speakers, AMP, preamp, cables etc, I am not the best guy to suggest or comment so will leave that to other FM.

Last not the least, definitely go for an HTPC with a decent GPU, do not invest in a media player. Use Roku plex channel if you must to play content on your NAS.

The ability to access the stuff stored on your NAS has nothing to do with display. Once on the network you can access everything from your laptop/computer or phone/TAB, so not sure where the confusion lies. Get an HTPC or assemble one with KODI. Plex is good no doubt but not as good as XBMC (Kodi). (Plex has different usage for a different scenario) The polish feel the HTPC loaded with Kodi gives on the big screen is just amazing. Have an HTPC with a small 32GB SSD, Loaded with OpenELEC, supply a decent GPU like GT630, add a Bluray Drive, and you are good to go.........you wont even need a bluray player (the entire thing will still cost much less than Oppo DB player)

Hope I made some sense in the post ....:sad:

Regards
Sammy

For HT speaker cable, i suggest to go with a 14 AWG wire from Monoprice. It is cheap and is also reputed to be pure copper (many reviews on Amazon). I got a 100 feet roll from someone returning from the US for $35. If you go with bigger gauge (ex 12 awg), it can be too thick to route through corners etc - this 14awg itself is very thick.
Locally finolex makes some great speaker cables (purity can be relied on i think).
For stereo, since they are shorter runs, there are all kinds of fancy cables and i have no experience there.

Congratts Zimbly ... :clapping: Welcome to the world of Personal Home Theater

With an astronomical budget of 15L (well in comparison to 6.5L that I spent,this is astronomical... :D). I would definitely suggest to go for separate rooms for Movie and Music. I had the same plan, but could not execute it coz of budget. My plan was something like 4L and 2L, but I exhausted the entire amount on HT itself ..... and I miss a small dedicated Music room, trust me if you are a music lover, same room aint gonna do justice.

You can very well save money in lot of things like Router .. Nighthawk ... ?? any reason to go for such an expensive router ..... If my advice means anything go for decent quality router like TP-Link TL-R470T+ and add an access point to it for your wifi needs. Something like Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP ... I have been using both the products 24x7 for last one year and I have nothing but praise for both the products. If you want to add more lan equipments simply add a switch

Coming to NAS, any reason to go for 413+ and not 413Play, the ability to trans code is there in both products, it has more ram and processing power but seriously for a NAS you do not need such power. I have 413j with mere 512kb ram and single core processor, and there is no situation where I felt the hardware lacking in any respect. You can save some bucks here ...

BD player oppo 103D ...50K+ bluray player .seriously bro!! ...... features like dual HDMI inputs, wifi N, MHL .... would you even be using all that, and how many BD Disks will you be playing (coz most of the time with almost everyone its the downloaded content we watch or if we have a decent net connection we stream via something like Roku (which also you already have))..You can have a very very decent DB player for 10-15K or so as far as PQ goes ....think!!!

I understand when we can afford the budget we just want to have the best of everything, but its still our hard earned money ...... think about it before purchasing, if you will even use those features or product for which you are paying a hefty sum. Not to discourage you, just giving my honest opinion.

Rest the speakers, AMP, preamp, cables etc, I am not the best guy to suggest or comment so will leave that to other FM.

Last not the least, definitely go for an HTPC with a decent GPU, do not invest in a media player. Use Roku plex channel if you must to play content on your NAS.

The ability to access the stuff stored on your NAS has nothing to do with display. Once on the network you can access everything from your laptop/computer or phone/TAB, so not sure where the confusion lies. Get an HTPC or assemble one with KODI. Plex is good no doubt but not as good as XBMC (Kodi). (Plex has different usage for a different scenario) The polish feel the HTPC loaded with Kodi gives on the big screen is just amazing. Have an HTPC with a small 32GB SSD, Loaded with OpenELEC, supply a decent GPU like GT630, add a Bluray Drive, and you are good to go.........you wont even need a bluray player (the entire thing will still cost much less than Oppo DB player)

Hope I made some sense in the post ....:sad:

Regards
Sammy

Hey Sammy,

Thanks mate! I dont even know where to begin:) Lets start with the OPPO 103D. Few reasons why OPPO made the cut. One Reason for OPPO 'D' is the Darbee chip for video processing. While reviews on the net shore up for it and against it evenly, i have seen video with Darbee and without it. Using it moderately definitely adds a bit of pop to the image on screen, making it vivid. Secondly the OPPO is known for its clean audio source at the output, if i have explained that correctly, one option I am looking at is using the Audio output and 2nd HDMI to stream AV content to the TV/ speakers in the Master Bedroom as i intend to have atleast a 5.1 set up in the bedroom as well. Thirdly its an OPPO:eek:hyeah: I agree its but a Blu ray player, any other brand will cost relatively half what it costs, but coming back to my first post, whims and fancies.... wishlist... not compromising too much....its going to make it a tad bit difficult to let go of the OPPO. Having said that I can relate to what you are saying... it is rather easy to get carried away with this stuff.
Another Room for Music....sigh! getting one room was difficult enough. For Music i am looking at the Living Room, but wont be able to treat the room acoustically, as that room has been handed over to the Misus to do her creative stuff - aka decor. So the Audio front will be covered to a lesser extent.
As for NAS, HTPC, your explanation of using it on the network has cleared my confusion on the matter. I am relatively a noob with networking, so expect a few more faux pas in the days to come. As for the router, i will look up the TP link. My requirement for a Gigabit wireless router was primarily to cater to streaming Hi Res Audio or even video from the NAS or any other source simultaneously to different users(rooms) - part of the whole house audio Project. While i havent finalized the Speakers for the Bedroom. The living room speakers are more or less final... picking up a pair of Devialet Phantoms. I may include a couple more in the bedrooms at a later stage and have a Yamaha based wireless system in the Master Bedroom or 5.1 Audio as explained above or even Atmos from a Soundbar Check out Yamaha's Epic Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Bar | Digital Trends a decision on these will be deferred until i decide whether i am going for a wireless system or a more conventional getting an additional power amp and running concealed wires to the bedroom AV setup... still in the nascent stage of the planning.
As for Plex and Kodi, i intend on having both installed. After going through your exhaustive write up on the Synology, i am kicked about the idea of accessing the NAS remotely from outside. I travel a fair bit... being in the Merchant Navy. So accessing stuff remotely will be a plus... only restricted by the internet connectivity speeds, if i have got that correct. Kodi will be my front end for the HT and the Master Bedroom setup.
Right now i am sorting out the design of the HT room with shortlisting the equipment i need to demo. Will be in the UK towards end of Oct and intend to spend as much time as possible demoing stuff to my hearts content.
Oh and a heads up, there may be a few PMs coming your way if i tend to get stuck or lost with NAS HTPC networking etc;)

1) However, Zimbly remember that world is going ultra HD now. (Samsung has already released an ultra HD player). So investing so much money in a Oppo blu ray player is not advisable.

2) Make sure that your projector is compliant with HDR and full colour gamut standards. (HDMI 2.0a) You do not want to be stuck with a projector which cant handle this, given your astronomical budget. Otherwise, if such a projector is not available buy a large 4K, (Curved or straight), OLED largest TV that you can afford. :)

Last edited:
For HT speaker cable, i suggest to go with a 14 AWG wire from Monoprice. It is cheap and is also reputed to be pure copper (many reviews on Amazon). I got a 100 feet roll from someone returning from the US for $35. If you go with bigger gauge (ex 12 awg), it can be too thick to route through corners etc - this 14awg itself is very thick.
Locally finolex makes some great speaker cables (purity can be relied on i think).
For stereo, since they are shorter runs, there are all kinds of fancy cables and i have no experience there.

Thanks Sash, the speaker wires from Monoprice seem relatively inexpensive when compared to some of the brands i was looking at. Seems to have decent reviews as well. Will definitely add these to my list of purchases.

1) However, Zimbly remember that world is going ultra HD now. (Samsung has already released an ultra HD player). So investing so much money in a Oppo blu ray player is not advisable.

2) Make sure that your projector is compliant with HDR and full colour gamut standards. (HDMI 2.0a) You do not want to be stuck with a projector which cant handle this, given your astronomical budget. Otherwise, if such a projector is not available buy a large 4K, (Curved or straight), OLED largest TV that you can afford. :)

Valid points Vinod, the world is moving to UHD and the likes thereof. While the formats are catered for and the equipment equipped with the processing power is being made available, the problem is the source content. For ex: Atmos... love the depth of the audio field, but content is limited to a few titles. This is almost a year and half after equipment was available for the Atmos format. So there exists a definite time lag between the launch and the availability of content. Having said that, this will provide a firm case for an upgrade 4-5 years down:)
With projectors i have extensively used an LED projector(LG), the Benq W1070 - infact i am presently using the Benq on board the ship. I converted the Recreation room on board into a HT and had the company foot the bill for the equipment ( combo of Jamo and Wharfedale ):eek:hyeah: so after going down the projector road, I'm at a point of no return when it comes to selecting a projector or a TV for dedicated HT. Will keep the points about HDMI 2.0 or even 2.2 for the matter as the projector will be picked up next year Aug only, unless i manage to land a kickass deal during the black friday sales in US.

With regard to equipment especially video, a delayed purchase is zimbly the best thing to do. Tech offerings keep changing very fast of late. So look more closely at things closer to purchase date.
It's very zimble ! Longer you wait, the better the product ....particularly video.
Not just specs wise but performance to price ratio gets better. ;)

With regard to HTPC I am not so sure I want to set one up presently. The benefits of ease of access to all stuff stored on the NAS would be a definite plus as I dont intend to have a TV in the Home theater room and switching on the projector for checking the stuff on NAS especially when playing music is not something I would want to do . I intend to use Plex and/or Kodi as the front end for streaming and will use that from a tab or phone to access all info from the NAS. Any other pointers where it would be beneficial to have an HTPC in addition to the NAS.

Network Router : Netgear Nighthawk X4 or X6. Still making up my mind. Once I have clarity on how many Wifi users I have I can take a call then.
Cables: Havent done a lot of research yet on this. But audioQuest and QED are some of the names which pop up every now and then.
Thats about all for my rants, will await your inputs and guidance to further the HT project.
Cheers
Zimbly

Congratulations on this wonderful decision, it's worth it :clapping:

Regarding HTPC, I strongly recommend one since you are planning to have a NAS build. The overall user experience will be much better with a dedicated HTPC than using a phone / tab. A mini PC with SSD and Kodi on top of it will be excellent. I am using 2 HTPCs at home, one in living room and another one dedicated to projector for the past couple of years. Both are running Kodi. I am also using Plex from my home server to use with chrome cast.

As far as networking goes, it will be really nice to have dedicated Cat 6 cabling for HTPC. You can connect virtually any number of users to a WiFi router. With all gadgets connected, my router handles around 15-20 simultaneous users.

With regard to equipment especially video, a delayed purchase is zimbly the best thing to do. Tech offerings keep changing very fast of late. So look more closely at things closer to purchase date.
It's very zimble ! Longer you wait, the better the product ....particularly video.
Not just specs wise but performance to price ratio gets better. ;)

Hahaha, well i will zimbly wait a little longer before buying the equipment;)

Congratulations on this wonderful decision, it's worth it :clapping:

Regarding HTPC, I strongly recommend one since you are planning to have a NAS build. The overall user experience will be much better with a dedicated HTPC than using a phone / tab. A mini PC with SSD and Kodi on top of it will be excellent. I am using 2 HTPCs at home, one in living room and another one dedicated to projector for the past couple of years. Both are running Kodi. I am also using Plex from my home server to use with chrome cast.

As far as networking goes, it will be really nice to have dedicated Cat 6 cabling for HTPC. You can connect virtually any number of users to a WiFi router. With all gadgets connected, my router handles around 15-20 simultaneous users.

Thanks Arunsankar. Well whether its worth it or not - time will tell. An adage I fall back on from time to time.... "First we dream, then we conquer" - Though its a pity that we need an intermediary called "money" to do our bidding for us. :)
Given the strong recommendations i am getting for an HTPC, i think i am going to do a bit of research on that and will look at adding it to my list of equipment to procure.
I am planning on having 2 runs of Cat6 cable running to each room in the house. One is to cater to automation should i choose to go for it and the other is for dedicated networking or AV Distribution. One of the main reasons for planning this early, was to cater to hiding away all the cables.

A tiny update after a hiatus. Since both the HT room and the Whole house audio will be mutually inclusive in terms of equipment sharing, i am going to club both together for the remainder of this thread.
The first purchase towards my project has been concluded. I have laid my hands upon a pair of Devialet Phantoms. And have been listening to them non stop for the last 3 days. Boy oh Boy, what these speakers achieve for the size is something else. The clarity and soundstage is brilliant. The base dominates slightly but not in an overbearing manner. there is still cohesiveness between the mids and the highs to make the sound complete.
These will do duty in the Living room - as part of the whole house audio. In time i am planning to pick up two more - one for the kitchen and the guest bedroom. The App on the phone makes it rather convenient to control each speaker in each room and decide on what source to play on either. another advantage is that if another user is logged on to the wifi network his/hers songlist gets incorporated into the playlist and you can select any of the songs to play on any of the respective speakers. I am enjoying the fact that it is versatile while sounding amazingly brilliant at the same time. Something i did not enjoy with the Sonos. Those had the versatility, but when it came to the audio itself, i found it lacking. But to be fair they are priced well below the Phantoms.
I have been procrastinating a bit on the HT room plans. Hope to have it sorted in a weeks time.
Getting back to listening now:yahoo:

Thanks Itsme for a bump. Sorry about not putting up any updates. got busy with the last leg of my sail and am finally back home. Things are suddenly a blur with rapid progress on the appartment. I in turn hired the services of an interior designer to aid with the complete HT room. I know i know, but with 2 kids i will not have all the time for a DIY. however all is not lost. I ensured that ech and every design element will be catered to my requirements including nitty gritties.
I am presently waiting for Black Friday sale this weekend to pick up the projector. Have decided on the Yamaha CXA5100/MXA5000 for prepro. Speakers auditions ongoing. Have been trying to review Rythmik subwoofers. Found a distributor(i think) in Navi Mumbai who deals with Rythmik. Unfortunately he does not have any demo equipment.
On another front, the Devialet Phantoms i picked up, sounded absolutely divine at home. The base on those speakers is colossal. I can hear my windows 18feet away reverbate with the base when i turn them up. That was the good part. 3days into my listening at home decided to do a firmware update on the speakers which was just released. all went well with one speaker. the second one went blank after the update. Contacted Devialet support for assistance. They ran me through all the checks and came to the conclusion that the speakers will have to be shipped to France for them to check it. They arranged for the shipping of the speakers to and fro, including customs on the return to India. Didnt cost me a dime. Pleasantly surprised with the level of service given. Had it been an Indian based outfit they would have looked at some excuse or the other to wipe their hands off honouring the warranty.
Floor plan will be updated soon.

Since you travel frequently to US, my advice for your sub would be, a pair of PSA s1500 or a pair of RA Gamma15. These 15" subs weigh around 32 kg for the PSA and 38kg for the Ra. These sub brands are the present Value for money Kings. These subs are better than the ported FV15HP and the PB13 Ultra subs, which lack in the mid bass slam or punch.
A pair of these sealed subs can play loud, clean, tight and deep.

Gents, sorry about the hiatus in the update. Too many things happening at once with regard to the progress in the house and hence the home theater room as well.
Have started purchasing equipment so as the stagger the expenses. even though i will eventually spend what it would cumulatively cost me, doing so all at once is still ... gulp!!!
so far in addition to the Devialet Phantoms, i have now picked up the projector - sony vpl hw55es... from singapore(it worked out cheaper than the US price with warranty included). Have finalized on the speakers - Tannoy xt8f for the towers LR and the tannoy precision 6c for C. Picked up the Tannoy 6C from Singapore as well. Oppo 103D stocked and have a synology NAS as well. Remaining items to be procured : Tannoy xt8fs, had initially decided to go with inwall surrounds from Tannoy - iw60efx, but the width of these with the installation frames precluded me from going ahead with them. So the conundrum of timbre matching was thrown out of the window by making a teeny compromise.... planning on going for the Def tech UIW RSSII.
Now for the curve ball... while Dolby Atmos requires coaxial speakers in ceiling with a 90deg dispersion... the sound of the UIW RCS III which doesnt meet those exact parameters are but one heck of speaker for the ceiling. Opinions on going in for these welcome.
Work will start in Aug on the interiors with the final hand over Sometime towards the end of the year. More to follow in the coming days.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back