Glass half-full audio components vs glass-half-empty kind

Dictionary definitions:
Tone - musical sound of a specific quality, of definite pitch and vibration.
Timbre - the quality given to a sound by its overtones, distinctive to a singing voice or musical instrument.

These are musical terms, pertaining to the sound of real instruments. Reproduced music should also be judged in these terms. The invented audiophile language with terms like transparency, soundstage, does not describe music.

So, in a sense, nothing is half full, or half empty. A reproduction system is either musical, or it is not. With human subjectivity at play, you can have levels of musicality. To keep that in check, the only absolute comparison is that of real, live music.

Also, an amplifier does not differentiate the genre of music playing through it. All music is complex, all music should flow through. Real instruments have definite tone and timbre; synthesizers mostly do not.

Let’s not forget it’s a complex system that has to deliver these sonic delights we all crave. This includes the source transport, electronics, speakers and room set up.
Synergy between electronics is difficult to define, but we recognise high quality music playback immediately when we hear it.
@essrand in your articles you had mentioned a preference for electronics all from the same company? Could you please discuss how you went on to choose speakers? And room set up too?

I agree with Viren that there is something wrong with a system that does not get tone and timbre right, irrespective of the music played.
@prem, I am still gobsmacked at how within a few seconds you could figure out if the timing of an Amp-DAC was off or right.
Usually it takes me a few months and it’s by realising how much foot tapping or rocking happens when I listen to music. I believe the best setups get us moving or jiving or swaying or nodding in time with the music even if we are not the dancing type!
A lot has been written and spoken online about PRAT (eg: Naim is revered for this)
Do reveal the secret 😄

There is no secret Analogous. In my childhood, I used to listen to live Carnatic music very frequently. Live helps you understand timing and interplay between instrumentalists and singers.

Because of my early exposure, i am more comfortable setting up a system using violin, tabla, mrindangam, flute and vocals

There is no secret Analogous. In my childhood, I used to listen to live Carnatic music very frequently. Live helps you understand timing and interplay between instrumentalists and singers.

Because of my early exposure, i am more comfortable setting up a system using violin, tabla, mrindangam, flute and vocals
I was forced to learn carnatic music for 3 years in the late 80's. There was a superhit movie called "shankarabharanam", and that got my mom dreaming of turning me into a musician. What followed was 3 years of torture that I, my guruji and my neighbors endured. Till my guruji quit, with the parting words " I cannot make a koel out of a crow".

So, I think you have a special knack and ear for music prem :)

I was forced to learn carnatic music for 3 years in the late 80's. There was a superhit movie called "shankarabharanam", and that got my mom dreaming of turning me into a musician. What followed was 3 years of torture that I, my guruji and my neighbors endured. Till my guruji quit, with the parting words " I cannot make a koel out of a crow".

I am thinking of learning percussion, central-south American type. If I can locate a teacher nearby

I didn’t try singing. I only listened :)

Let’s not forget it’s a complex system that has to deliver these sonic delights we all crave. This includes the source transport, electronics, speakers and room set up.
Synergy between electronics is difficult to define, but we recognise high quality music playback immediately when we hear it.
@essrand in your articles you had mentioned a preference for electronics all from the same company? Could you please discuss how you went on to choose speakers? And room set up too?
Sure, I can talk about speaker choice in a future article, but a short answer is that I chose Devore O/96 about 8-9 years ago after long merry-go-round with speaker while living in the USA (don't think that would have been possible in India), and even now haven't found anything else that could make me sell these speakers. But getting the right amps to make these speakers sing took a long time.
Room setup, hmmmm, still learning about it. Got lucky to find a big room to house my Devores.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back